Problem with Linux-Libre 3.6.5/4 - GPU and Wireles

2 réponses [Dernière contribution]
aliasbody
A rejoint: 09/14/2012

Hello Everyone,

I installed Trisquel on my laptop and noticed that there was a bug with the sound, the volume bar wouldn't change the sound. A few days ago an update for the official kernel was out and the problem was solved (nice !). But yet there is another problem, the sound is weird... it is low and with high bass.

So to solve this problem (as always) I installed the Linux-Libre64 kernel (the current version is 3.6.6), and what happens is the following :
- The sound problem is solved.

- I can't open any application, it takes like 4 minutes to open anything (the workaround for this is just to go for one of the tty's with CTRL+ALT+F1 and then come back to the Desktop with CTRL+ALT+F7. After this the applications opens in seconds as normal). A better solution for this is to use the 3.6.5 version.

- My wireless card don't work anymore. I just don't understand that. It always worked, I already had this kernel before (maybe not this exact version). One of the things that I do when I install this new kernel and see that it works nice it's to remove the old kernel. This one also removes a package named wireless-crda. Just out of curiosity (not knowing if the linux-libre kernel depends or even comes already with this package), I decided to install it again before rebooting. But every time I reboot I don't have wireless. (The workaround for this is to go back to the old kernel 3.0.0-xx since the problem is still here in the 3.6.5 version).

So does anyone already had those kind of bugs, and if yes how did you solved it ?

I wanted to install Trisquel on my mother's computer with Flash (... I now Chrome isn't free, and I don't agree with it either, but I still prefer to see my mother using Trisquel and Chrome with Flash (or IceWeasel with Flash), than looking at her playing on Windows on some simple flash games) and even try to convince some friends to use it, but it is hard to do it with bugs like those that shouldn't even exist (at least for the sound since it is the major problem here).

Thanks in Advance,
Luis Da Costa

aliasbody
A rejoint: 09/14/2012

UPDATE 1:
Sorry... the wireless problem is still here... With the new kernel the network is disabled but when I enable it I still don't have wireless. So I have the choice between the 3.6.5/3.6.6 with good sound but Graphical and Wireless Errors, or the 3.0.0 with the Wireless and Graphical working but the Sound Problems.

But the "slow application opening" is still here.

sphynx
A rejoint: 11/30/2011

$ apt-cache show wireless-crda
Package: wireless-crda
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 116
Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <name at domain>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.14
Depends: udev
Filename: pool/main/w/wireless-crda/wireless-crda_1.14_amd64.deb
Size: 16040
MD5sum: f75c27d7b98699b5ee25f506a60757e3
SHA1: 266642c8927c52710d2af2453bad2a8190fa08c9
SHA256: 28dbad328d773b04d6149fb1de1d02cb1ca5d8e3978a404c4f9576e16039d0f5
Description-en: Wireless Central Regulatory Domain Agent
This package provides the CRDA agent for wireless drivers to
determine the regulatory domain channel and power settings.
Description-md5: de49e088c4110a9d022ecd4c2dd87225
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 18m