Replace ethernet chipset in Thinkpad x201?

10 réponses [Dernière contribution]
vinzv

I am a member!

A rejoint: 10/11/2014

Hi,

I'm quite happy with my Thinkpad x201 as it (after replacing the wifi chipset) flawlessly runs Trisquel. The only downside is the ethernet chipset:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)

It needs binary firmware blobs to run, so I think about replacing it.
Is there any chance to replace this chipset? Has any of you guys experience in replacing such parts?

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

It is not likely to be replaceable (i.e. soldered onto the motherboard, integrated in such a way that removing it is not feasible without also destroying the motherboard), etc. Does it really not work *AT ALL* without a blob uploaded from the kernel? That would be a first, in my experience. The ones I've seen in the past still worked even if they didn't get a blob uploaded into them - they just used they one they already had inside them.

cooloutac
A rejoint: 06/27/2015

It looks like it is https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-71437

But I wouldn't have the slightest idea which one would be most compatibile with free drivers, maybe one of the other users have a suggestion on which pci mini model to get.

Use the Jxself repo first to update the kernel and see if it works, last method on this page. https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/update-linux-libre-kernel

If you need to replace it, it shouldn't be too difficult, I've taken apart a sony vaios before just to put tiny piece of tape on one of the prongs to by pass the broken wifi switch lol. Make sure the switch on side of the case is not your prob as well if, its very common. Would make my wifi go on and off and I would have to jiggle the switch. The hard part is just getting the keyboard off right and then back on, which is trickier on some laptops compared to others. Just follow those lenovo directions slowly and carefully in order.

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

Um, the OP wasn't talking of WiFi but the built-in Ethernet controller.

cooloutac

oh ethernet, ya he'd have to buy a new computer then lmao.

davidnotcoulthard (non vérifié)
davidnotcoulthard

This is far from a proper answer to your problem (if at all which it's actually not intended to be), but if you think you don't mind losing that touchpad.......then may I suggest http://shop.gluglug.org.uk/product/libreboot-installation-service/ ?

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 10/31/2014

ThinkPad X201: this will likely never be supported in libreboot, due to the Intel Management Engine. However, it is possible to “convert” an X201 into an X200, by replacing the mainboard and palm rest. Send your X201 to the gluglug, along with an X200 (note: not X200S or X200 Tablet) mainboard and X200 palm rest, and the motherboard/palmrest will be swapped out for you, with libreboot installed onto the X200 mainboard. X201S and X201 Tablet are not a part of this service.

davidnotcoulthard (non vérifié)
davidnotcoulthard

Which was the exact reason I wrote "if you don't mind losing that touchpad" (in case, of course, you weren't aware of that, which your reply to mine implied (rightly or wrongly) you weren't).

I would certainly not mind losing mine if the laptop I'm typing this on had got a pointing stick (which it hasn't).

And a setup like that would have the wonderful added bonus of an X201-badged laptop without a touchpad - for the fun of it.

cooloutac

wow!!!! thats hardcore. oh and they do it for you, thats awesome, and cheaper then a new pc. wow.