What is the state of Microcoft patent threat in 2021?

4 réponses [Dernière contribution]
koszkonutek
A rejoint: 03/19/2020

Years ago we were told Mono is dangerous because of Microsoft's patents on parts of .NET. Some distributions removed it from repos. [1]

Now, in 2021, I see Mono is available in distributions like Debian and Trisquel. I was wondering if something changed in this matter. Can anyone clarify how current Microsoft patent threat looks like?

The issue is obviously not just about Mono but also software like PowerShell, Wine and MinGW, with the last 2 being quite important to me as they allow compiling and testing Losedows ports of programs without touching Losedows. Do you think using/distributing these tools or maybe adding support for newer Micro$oft APIs to them could be legally unsafe?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft#Mono_patent_concerns

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

Patents are still a problem. Look up Eben Moglen: "the be very afraid tour". It's still a concern.

koszkonutek
A rejoint: 03/19/2020

Thanks, I watched it. Seems to be something from 2007, though. Much happened since then.

Does anybody know how Mono made its way into Trisquel? Is it as a result of Micro$oft's 2014 software release? endsoftpatents.org seems to give some detail[1] on this. Looks like .NET is not perfect patent-wise, yet still allows more than for example free program gnuplot allows with its source copyright-wise.

Looks like I might end up answering my own question...

[1] http://endsoftpatents.org/2014/11/ms-net/

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010

Mono is free software: using it does not harm your freedoms. That is why it is (and has always been) in Trisquel. However it is not (and has never been) in the default install, to discourage its use for new developments (prefer Java, which is similar).

The problem with software patents is that such patent-encumbered free software (and free software to read/write patent-encumbered formats) may cease to be developed if the patent holder decides so. The case needs not even reach a court for that to happen: patent suits cost far too much for most free software projects. It is therefore risky to rely on patent-encumbered software and formats.

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

"Seems to be something from 2007, though. Much happened since then."

Yes, that's why I also said: "It's *still* a concern." (Emphasis added.) See also: Magic Banana's response.