youtube-dl error: "WARNING: unable to download video info webpage: HTTP Error 404: Not Found"

12 réponses [Dernière contribution]
GrevenGull
A rejoint: 12/18/2017

I got this error while trying to download a youtube link.

I tried to download some other invidious links to see if it's the link that's falty.

And while trying two different invidious links I get this on both:

*WARNING: Falling back on generic information extractor.*

*[download] 377.8% of 1.43KiB at Unknown speed ETA Unknown ETA[download] Got server HTTP error: Downloaded 5546 bytes, expected 1468 bytes. Retrying (attempt 1 of 10)...
[download] Unable to resume*

And that message was printed 10 times before it called it a day:

*[download] 377.8% of 1.43KiB at Unknown speed ETA Unknown ETAERROR: giving up after 10 retries*

GrevenGull

I tried another invidous link and got:

*ERROR: unable to download video data: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden*

GrevenGull

Never mind me guys -

the youtube-dl package in the repo is an outdated version, and I remember now that I have asked about this exact thing before...

I'll see myself out

nadebula.1984
A rejoint: 05/01/2018

You can try the version in Debian testing (sudo dpkg -i). It doesn't have many dependencies.

loldier
A rejoint: 02/17/2016

I'm on Bullseye, and youtube-dl just stopped working. I removed it and reinstalled from the youtube-dl.org website, and now it complains about python.

So now I have to type:

python3 $(which youtube-dl) 'youtubeURL'

Legimet
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

Or just install it via pip: pip3 install youtube_dl

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

Don't even need to do any of that (pip or dpkg):

youtube_dl -U

And then ta da.

loldier
A rejoint: 02/17/2016

'youtube-dl -U' is disabled on Debian et al.

Pip won't work either on Trisquel ("not found"), although it is suggested.

Use this

sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

instead.

pip3.png disabled.png
JC8
JC8
A rejoint: 12/29/2020

Don't even bother getting youtube-dl from distro repos, it's broken on all repos i tested probably because it's not getting updated fast enough, and Google loves killing it every time they can so it needs to be up to date to work properly. I just get the latest release from their website and move the binary into "/usr/local/bin/", as loldier suggested.

nadebula.1984

I don't care whether Google kills youtube-dl or not. We don't have access to Youtube from China at all.

But youtube-dl (from Debian testing/unstable) still works on several Chinese video streaming sites (tightly censored by Chinese authorities).

Malsasa
A rejoint: 12/01/2016

Helo, xliang. I am curious. How about Invidio.us? Is it also censored at China?

For Greven Gull, sorry for being out of topic, but if you want to
easily search, watch and download YouTube on computer I recommend
Invidio.us and on phone I recommend NewPipe. You can install NewPipe
via F-Droid.

nadebula.1984

Of course it is censored. However, I'm not interested in Youtube in the first place. I have much more important works to do everyday.

lanun
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

Google cannot kill youtube-dl, Google can only make it difficult for users to access its contents through youtube-dl.

youtube-dl works with a huge amount of video sources besides youtube, which is great. It should be renamed at some point in order to avoid confusion and to stop being a gratuitous advertising banner for Google services.

Please do not recommend invidio.us: "As of September 1st 2020, invidio.us has closed down. To see this content, please select another instance, or visit directly on YouTube." (as per: https://redirect.invidious.io). If you really need to fetch that extra useless video, try this instead: https://tube.cadence.moe.