$14 fantastic wifi adaptor - TP-LINK TL-WN722N

3 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
andyprough
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015

I bought one of these USB wifi adaptors about 1 1/2 years ago, and I see they are still readily available on Amazon. I'm just amazed at how it's immediately recognized and ready for use whether I'm on Trisquel or Parabola (Arch) without dealing with any of the firmware blobs or any settings whatsoever. And it works like a champ - never seems to fade out like the old embedded wifi chips in the laptops used to. Nice clear, strong signal.

And for those who need/want a much smaller device size, the $25 TPE-N150USB on thinkpenguin.com is also well worth the price. Also immediately recognized and ready for use without diving into any settings from my experience.

Just thought I'd mention it - I still run into users with the same old nasty wifi firmware problems on their newer laptops. These pair of USB wifi adaptors are a pure joy to work with, and will get you online in no time. I believe both are using the Atheros AR9271 chipset which has a non-proprietary firmware module packed right onto the Linux-libre kernel.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

Do you happen to know if **all** TP-LINK TL-WN722N have the same chipset (AR9271)?
I found a store in Italy where you can buy one for 8.20 euros. Too bad it's rather far from my place but I am considering oredring one as both the internal adapters I recently tried work like sh.t on my old lappy, they work with free software but both loose signal when I am more than 2 meters away from my router.

gnu4
Beigetreten: 11/06/2015

@ andyprough:

Would you happen to know the hardware revision numbers of the two models you're using? You can typically find it on a small label on the device itself as an extension of the model number; like for example "TP-LINK TL-WN722Nv2" (or v3, v4, etc.).

Revision number is important to know if one wants to get a model with the same internal hardware.

vita_cell
Beigetreten: 07/19/2015

I have one with v1.10, works perfect.