Aramo on Dell Latitude e6400 with canoeboot

3 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

I bought a used Dell Latitude e6400 for 70 euros, installed aramo and flashed canoeboot rel 0.1 (seabios_withgrub_e6400_4mb_libgfxinit_coreboot_frazerty.rom) on it, using internal flashing (no disassembly). Instructions for flashing are clear but one should better read until the end and all things referenced first. Canoeboot is referenced in the Free Software Directory. Trisquel is booting fine. I only rebooted a few times but, at each boot, it was super fast to get the graphical screen to type the deciphering password, even faster than stock bios.

By default, seabios is used, but if one presses ESC it goes to a menu which lists alternative boot source for seabios or enter a grub menu similar to previous libreboot menu.

The computer I got has a screen called truelife (not all e6400 have this one) with a 1440x900 resolution, it is really nice, looks less fragile than most laptop screens and after some cleaning there is no scratch and just one very small spot. It has 4GB memory (I think it is the maximum), it weights 2.3 kg. Ethernet shows up in "sudo lshw" but did not work with aramo, even before flashing canoeboot. I have USB adapters (ethernet and wifi) that work anyway.

andyprough
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015

>"Ethernet shows up in "sudo lshw"

Why did I not know about lshw? I feel so stupid! Looks from its source that the lshw package is 12 years old, and it is actively maintained by Lyonel Vincent. This did not exist when I started my GNU/Linux journey.

'sudo lshw -short' is a good command - just shows a one-line description of each hardware item.

If you just wanted info on networking hardware, 'sudo lshw -class network' would be a good command.

Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

I was told that rel 0.1 is an experiment and the latest version to be used is 20231101.

EDIT:
- I flashed 20231101, it works fine as well with trisquel.
- I had to apply the solution in https://trisquel.info/fr/forum/x11-close-session-when-opening-file-or-browsing-web#comment-171662 to avoid problems

EDIT2: I only noticed now that it has a display port output and I get the 2560x1440 resolution of my external screen. I never managed to get this with the T400, and with the X200 only with the docking station.

sam-d16
Beigetreten: 09/28/2023

Hello . Please tell me what kind of screensaver you have, I found this one))

gnuboot.jpg