Azure and WSL version of Trisquel

11 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Егор Гаврилов
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/01/2019

Trisquel developers will make a WSL and Azure version of Trisquel?

Ignacio Agulló
Offline
Beigetreten: 07/30/2019

On 01/09/19 08:33, Егор Гаврилов wrote:
> Trisquel developers will make a WSL and Azure version of Trisquel?

I am not a Trisquel developer, but the answer is obvious:
For WSL: Never, unless Windows NT became Free Software.
For Azure: Never, unless Azure became Free Software.

--
Ignacio Agulló · name at domain

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

Although it is clearly not a priority, I actually think it is positive to bring free software to Windows users, who may then realize they deserve freedoms and do not need Windows. And I would not be be as sure as CalmStorm is about Stallman's supposed reaction if Trisquel would be proposed to Windows' users. After all, conceptually, how different is it from having GNU software (including Emacs) run on Windows?

nadebula.1984
Offline
Beigetreten: 05/01/2018

For those who (temporarily) cannot completely get rid of Losedows, we can allow them to run part of GNU on Losedows. The FSF official site maintains a list of free/libre software for Losedows. See https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Windows

For Losedows victims, I suggest that they install two software packages. One is KMS activator (fighting against copyright tyranny should never be criminalized), and the other is Cygwin (not WSL).

davidpgil
Offline
Beigetreten: 08/26/2015

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was fine to use non-free software to create/implement free software?

grimlok
Offline
Beigetreten: 04/16/2013

Considering what Micro$oft has been doing to "Linux" lately through their "Micro$oft loves Linux" campaign, their takeover of Github and the Linux Foundation, I don't think that Trisquel or any Free Software project should help in legitimizing Micro$oft anymore than it has been done in the "open this or that" realm...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am to the point of disagreeing that all software is beneficial if it is Free Software, because some Free Software is being created to further the efforts of the proprietary enslavement of the general users. For instance, Chromium and Chrome. The Chromium project helps promote the enslavement of massive amounts of people to Google's surveillance browser, Chrome, and now Microsoft is helping this as well.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Beigetreten: 07/07/2017

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I am to the point of disagreeing that all software
> is beneficial if it is Free Software, because some Free Software is being
> created to further the efforts of proprietary project. For instance,
> Chromium and Chrome. The Chromium project helps promote the enslavement
> of massive amounts of people to Google's surveillance browser Chrome

+1

jxself
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

Bradley Kuhn has been talking about the problem of corporate cooption for some years now.

https://invidio.us/watch?v=aUy3uVvVsrU

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/talks/OpenSym-2016/politics.html

It's good to go look up his various talks and listen to them.

Malsasa
Offline
Beigetreten: 12/01/2016

On 9/4/19, name at domain <name at domain> wrote:
> Bradley Kuhn has been talking about the problem of corporate cooption for
> some years now.
>
> https://invidio.us/watch?v=aUy3uVvVsrU
>
> http://ebb.org/bkuhn/talks/OpenSym-2016/politics.html
>
> It's good to go look up his various talks and listen to them.

Mmm, really nice presentation. I like it. Thanks, Jason.

andyprough
Offline
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I am to the point of disagreeing that all software is beneficial if it is Free Software, because some Free Software is being created to further the efforts of the proprietary enslavement of the general users. For instance, Chromium and Chrome

Chromium is not free software, so we should dispense with that idea. There are several projects to try to strip out all the non-free licensed parts, but it appears to be a Herculean task, as Google has made a nasty tangled licensing mess of that code.

journeytocoder
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/05/2019

I agree FREE software is even more important in this day and age and I'm all in 100% using and promoting FREE/GNU software and trying to convert people.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:23 PM, <name at domain> wrote:

> Considering what Micro$oft has been doing to "Linux" lately through their
> "Micro$oft loves Linux" campaign, their takeover of Github and the Linux
> Foundation, I don't think that Trisquel or any Free Software project should
> help in legitimizing Micro$oft anymore than it has been done in the "open
> this or that" realm...
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I am to the point of disagreeing that all software is
> beneficial if it is Free Software, because some Free Software is being
> created to further the efforts of proprietary project. For instance,
> Chromium and Chrome. The Chromium project helps promote the enslavement of
> massive amounts of people to Google's surveillance browser Chrome, and now
> Microsoft is helping this as well.

commodore256
Offline
Beigetreten: 01/10/2013

The whole point of Trisquel is to be a 100% libre Debian.

Running it in WSL defeats the point. Though I would find it amusing if ReactOS implemented a WSL (or would it be an RSL in this case?) Having a libre NT isn't a bad idea, I suppose you could in theory run 100% libre code on ReactOS. If there were FOSS x4500 drivers for windows server 2003, it could work, but it's not mature in it's development enough for production use.