Backporting i915 Fix

10 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

Linux-libre 6.9.1-gnu is out now, and the change for the i915 kernel module has been backported to 6.8.10-gnu and 6.6.31-gnu as well.

del111
Beigetreten: 08/23/2023

Is it safe, say, for me to use the v6.8.10 deblob script on linux v6.8.9?

jxself

Why do you want to?

del111

testing linux-libre on new hardware: my new riscv board runs on debian sid and currently the debian sid linux release is 6.8.9-1. It's easier for me to rebase my own set of patches on upstream debian sid.

jxself

Using the deblob scripts are not recommended and they will eventually be disappearing. Linux-libre has source code available; I recommend to use it.

del111

OK, thanks, on today's episode of "upstream changes broke my workflow"...

jxself

How's that? Once the process of rewriting the kernel.org git history is complete, they will no longer be necessary. Rather than cleaning up entire release tarballs with each new version, the project will simply copy over commits from the kernel.org git repository and clean them as needed for freedom purposes. From then on, Linux-libre releases can happen much more quickly: place a tag in git and generate tarballs for people to download; same as kernel.org. These methods, getting source code from git or a tarballl, are common methods of source code distribution. I recommend to adopt the new process sooner rather than later. :)

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/15/2009

Oh!, that's bad news, for distros that don't use upstream (kernel.org) packages by default u_u.

guydot
Beigetreten: 06/29/2023

If I understand correctly how the kernel used by Trisquel is currently cleaned, the process would need to be completely revised in order to adapt to the new Linux-libre cleaning procedure.

Does this mean that the additional Ubuntu-specific changes listed below would need to be manually cleaned? Maybe the extra work required could also be made incremental?

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/introducing-kernel-6-8-for-the-24-04-noble-numbat-release/41958

jxself

From what I understand, the typical procedure would be using the Linux-libre source code and applying Ubuntu patches to it. The deblob-check script is still necessary for Linux-libre during the process of incorporating commits from the kernel.org git repository to identify potential issues. As such, it seems likely that Trisquel could also benefit from using this script.

guydot
Beigetreten: 06/29/2023

That makes sense, thank you for the explanation.