Cinnamon DE to be in Ubuntu 13.04 repos

2 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
t3g
t3g
Beigetreten: 05/15/2011

http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/cinnamon

I was poking around the Ubuntu repos today and noticed that the Cinnamon desktop environment will be included in the official Ubuntu repositories for 13.04 and above and therefore available for Trisquel 7.0 when it comes out in a year or more.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Could the Trisquel team switch to this for the default DE in the future or is it just nice to have? I haven't played around with it much, but it seems to be getting more stable and feature rich with each release.

malberts

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 04/19/2011

I believe it has the same issue as Gnome Shell with regard to 3d acceleration, being a fork of it. This issue (3d acceleration) has been discussed before.

I'm not sure how the software rendering project is coming along, nor do I know its performance. If the need for 3d acceleration limits too many people who use Trisquel then I doubt it will be considered. However, I must add that I do not know how big this problem is in reality. I haven't really tested Shell on old (5+ years) Intel-only graphics, but most (I'd say all) modern Intel graphics will do the 3d acceleration just fine. The big problem area is with AMD. If you don't have an nVidia card then you're screwed unless software rendering is OK.

t3g
t3g
Beigetreten: 05/15/2011

Cinnamon has a "2d" mode as a fallback for those without acceleration and I believe 1.8 will boost performance.