How do I get Wireless to work on Dell Latitude D620

4 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
trisquelusernl
Beigetreten: 05/01/2014

How do I get the wireless functionality to work for this laptop?
I tried "sudo aptitude install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer" but it tells me that no packages are found with the name of "firmware....installer" or installed. Also with the "apt-get" command it says that the package is not available.
So how do I get the wireless device online?

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

Those packages do not exist in Trisquel. Your wireless chip needs proprietary software in order to function and Trisquel is only made up of free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, so you won't find proprietary packages in it. May I suggest replacing your WiFi card with one that doesn't need proprietary software? There is a tiny thumnail-sized USB thing that can be used if you don't want to open the computer to replace the WiFi card:
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/thinkpenguin

grimlok
Beigetreten: 04/16/2013

Here is the wifi options at ThinkPenguin: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux

For a Dell Latitude D620, I would assume you would need either the 'Penguin Wireless N Mini PCI for GNU / Linux' or the 'Penguin Wireless N PCI Card for GNU / Linux v5 /w Low Profile Bracket' but check inside for the size.

I am assuming it's one of those considering the age of the laptop.

The other option is, like stated above, to go with a usb dongle type.

I have a Dell Latitude 6430u that I put one of these cards in and it works wonderfully.

Peace to you,
grimlok

P.S. If you are in the market for a new laptop, ThinkPenguin also has a selection that you may be interested too. I would definitely consider it if I was in the market for a new computer.

Chris

I am a member!

Beigetreten: 04/23/2011

I believe the 'Penguin Wireless N Mini PCI for GNU / Linux' card is the wrong card for this laptop. It appears to need a Mini PCIe card, not an older PCI-style mini card.

The 'Penguin Wireless N PCI Card for GNU / Linux v5 /w Low Profile Bracket' is for a slim desktop system. It would not work in a laptop.

That said, the 'Penguin Wireless N Mini PCIe for GNU / Linux' which would otherwise be the right card may not work either due to digital restrictions.

Dell is one of the companies to avoid when purchasing a new computer. HP, Dell, Lenovo/IBM, Toshiba, Apple, and Sony all use proprietary parts and/or digital restrictions which make replacing the internal wifi card near impossible.

This leaves most Dell, HP, Lenovo, IBM, Apple, Sony, and Toshiba owners wanting to run a free distribution stuck with only being able to use a USB wireless adapter.

Trisquel 6.01+ has support for the following USB wireless adapters out of the box:

'Penguin Wireless G USB Adapter for GNU / Linux'

'Penguin Wireless N USB Adapter for GNU / Linux (TPE-N150USB)'

'Penguin Wireless N USB Adapter /w External Antenna for GNU / Linux (TPE-N150USBL)'

Trisquel 7+ will also have support for:

'Penguin Wireless N Dual-Band USB Adapter for GNU / Linux (TPE-NUSBDB)'

If you buy something make sure you visit via http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/ as 25% of the profits will be donated to the Trisquel project.

grimlok
Beigetreten: 04/16/2013

My mistake, I copied the wrong one. I meant to copy the one above it.