Linux 5.13 fools me?

6 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
eric23
Beigetreten: 06/30/2017

See I have a debian Machine that I installed freesh Linux-libre version 5.13 on. uname -a reports a interesting date "Sept 27 ... EST 1983". Is this on Linux-libre joke or do I have unauthorized visits on my network?

prospero
Beigetreten: 05/20/2022

> interesting date "Sept 27 ... EST 1983"

See https://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html.

eric23

I thought maybe it was a 5.13 thing since my other computer does not have this. It doesn't go away after installing the latest linux-libre-lts. I've been very suspicious that someone has been accessing my computers over the years. On my computers I've seen random files, that I was sure I did not put on there.

One of my other Trisquel computers crashed all the way to bios level.

What would encourage someone to put rootkits on my computers and yet at the same time do only silly things?

prospero

> do I have unauthorized visits on my network?

Only the mischievous uname poltergeist is known to visit linux-libre users, from time to time.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but whenever I have been under the impression something strange had happened, it soon appeared that very regular things had in fact happened in a very regular way. Only, I had missed them or simply forgotten about them. What makes you think that your network is vulnerable to such an attacker that would have nothing better to do than modifying the date in the uname output?

Some packages are going to create files in places that may not be completely appropriate (eg. in nonhidden folders in your /home directory), so you are never going to remember having created those files although you did trigger their creation by installing said packages.

eric23

Back in 2010 on my gNewSense computer, I once found in my home directory a folder called lost+found and in it was a file about an astronomy report I never wrote with my name in it. It made me feel targeted.

A few years ago it seemed that somehow I renamed a file of an email to someone as Clickheretogetstarted or something like that. I suppose it is possible to rename, by copy pasting it into the file name text box, but I don't think that's what happened.

prospero

I see. I would not worry too much about these, really. The "lost+found" folder was created by some file system utility to store corrupted files, so its content may have come from any sort of external storage. Accidentally copy-pasting and renaming also happens. Again, this does not sound like actual sources of worry, not to me at least.

My general rule is that if someone was actually targeting my computer, I would already have an idea who that someone may be. If I have no idea, I am probably unnecessarily worried.

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

Very few people have noticed this easter egg; congratulations! My build script for Linux-libre does indeed contain:

export KBUILD_BUILD_TIMESTAMP="Tue Sep 27 12:35:59 EST 1983"
export KBUILD_BUILD_USER="rms"
export KBUILD_BUILD_HOST="mit-oz"

And so all all kernel versions shall report this information, as it's hardcoded in at build time.
Run: cat /proc/version to see all of it.

Thanks to prospero for picking up on the relevance for that particular date and time with GNU Project history. Those that study the raw content of the email that announced the GNU Project and have also read Free As In Freedom 2.0 will surely also pick up on the relevance of the other pieces.