New Version of Libreboot Available (20220710)

11 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
PublicLewdness
Beigetreten: 03/15/2020

Leah Rowe has published a new version of Libreboot. The following link details changes as well as some future plans for Libreboot and osboot.

https://libreboot.org/news/libreboot20220710.html

iShareFreedom
Beigetreten: 12/20/2021

Still compatible just with like 10 models of computers?

andyprough
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015
PublicLewdness

"Still compatible just with like 10 models of computers?"

Not to try to twist your arm but Libreboot seems to survive on less than $300 CAD of funding a month currently aside from what Mini Free makes in sales. If you don't already I would consider donating if possible to help buy more systems/platforms to make Libreboot work on.

https://www.patreon.com/libreleah

iShareFreedom
Beigetreten: 12/20/2021

That page, run nonfree software in your browser, I recommend dont use it.

PublicLewdness

"That page, run nonfree software in your browser, I recommend dont use it."

Compile a list of websites that would run without issue with something like LibreJS installed and active. Going to gues it isn't many. My point stands. People want something like Libreboot to support more devices but don't want to pony up any money to help this happen. Same goes for most other FOSS projects. The FOSS community needs to put up or shut up in many cases.

andyprough
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015

>"Compile a list of websites that would run without issue with something like LibreJS installed and active. Going to gues it isn't many."

As I've documented very well in this forum, I've gone for months at a time using almost nothing but the links2 browser in graphics mode, which has no js. There's a lot of sites which either work perfectly without js, or from which you can get the text and pictures you need from them with no js. You can also copy links to videos and usually run them in mpv. It's a pretty outstanding experience, and uses extremely low resources for the most part.

LibreJS on Icecat is actually a much better js experience than links2 in graphical mode. I can read all of Leah's info on her Patreon page with links2, but to donate without js I would have to contact her directly.

>"People want something like Libreboot to support more devices but don't want to pony up any money to help this happen."

Doesn't Leah run a store to support her libreboot work? Seems like if you want librebooted devices, you are at least about 50% likely to buy them from her store, and then you are contributing to libreboot. It's a pretty straightforward funding approach from where I'm sitting. Maybe there's something I'm missing though.

By the way, the "About" page on minifree.org says that Minifree has contributed $94,000 to projects to get 4 different motherboards librebooted. So, there's been some money going through Minifree over the years.

Legimet
Beigetreten: 12/10/2013

I'm glad to hear that, but unfortunately I (and most people I know) would have a horrible experience if we refused to run nonfree JS. If you want to pay for anything online using a credit card, you need to allow nonfree js. Same if you want to do anything that requires a Google CAPTCHA. Also my university's login system and course management system use nonfree JS. Worst of all, during COVID all of my classes used Zoom. Zoom is still prevalent today.

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

It's a sad day. Looks like libreboot is taking a step backward in freedom after this release making free software a switch rather than being the norm and by adding machines that need non-free software just in the name of adding more machines and seeking more popularity (the endless freedom vs popularity debate.) So just because you see libreboot support won't necessarily mean anything anymore.

prospero
Beigetreten: 05/20/2022

Near the end of the page mentioned in the OP, it says: "Libreboot is mainly about making coreboot as easy to use as possible." I thought libreboot was about deblobbing coreboot.

I must admit I'm a bit confused.

EDIT: I've just compared several versions of the same page using the Wayback Machine. Things are much clearer now.

Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

I flashed it on an x200, it still boots Trisquel 10 fine but I fail to boot on the Trisquel net installer USB and to boot on the Parabola CLI iso USB.

Anyone tried it?

Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

I had flashed the seabios_withgrub first, on which seabios actually cannot be used to boot something directly on the USB disk.

I flashed grub_x200_8mb_libgfxinit_corebootfb (I have a 8 mb spi chip), it has a seabios entry, with it anything will boot.

Strangely, sometimes, grub from libreboot says it can't boot anything on the internal ssd, after power off and on, it works. Anyway, this is not the first time I see that with libreboot/coreboot, it is a rather small annoyance (at worst, I need a few off/on in order to boot).