Over 300 businesses now whitelisted on AdBlock

22 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
HuangLao
Beigetreten: 01/19/2014
ssdclickofdeath
Beigetreten: 05/19/2013

That's good! I was hoping this would happen, to get the internet on the path to less annoying ads.

tomlukeywood
Beigetreten: 12/05/2014

you can just use adblock edge and not have a whitelist

i dont understand why everyone uses adblock plus

lloydsmart

I am a member!

Beigetreten: 12/22/2012

You can also use ABP and disable the whitelist.

HuangLao
Beigetreten: 01/19/2014

agreed about Adblock Edge, it is much better for total blocking, but also very happy with Spyblock on IceCat and Abrowser.

lloydsmart

I am a member!

Beigetreten: 12/22/2012

SpyBlock is ok, but I don't understand why the authors went to the trouble of developing a spearate extension. The logical way to do it would seem to be to include ABP or ABE with a pre-installed custom list of spyware servers. This would achieve the same outcome, with greater flexibiliy, without needing to develop and maintain custom software.

onpon4
Beigetreten: 05/30/2012

I'm pretty sure it was mainly done this way to change the name, so that its purpose is clear.

ssdclickofdeath

I have nothing against ads, I just hate the annoying ones, so this is good news for me.

tomlukeywood

key:
advert = advertising

first commercial advertising to children should be banned
or at very least much much more regulated

as children are more easily manipulated and normally not as knowledgeable i know this as i recently was one.

an example of a bad children's advert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TksubfjQMNU
this product is very unhealthy and in some
cases addictive
how can you expect most children and some adults to make a informed
decision about the health affects of this product
when they are only displayed in small text on the back of
the box?

i think commercial advertising to adults is fine if it just provides the information you need to make a decision about weather you want to buy that product or service
for example:
###########
#:|:apples:|;|#
#...£1.....|;|;|:#
#...each..;.|,:|#
###########

this is another good example:
https://trisquel.info/files/thinkpenguin.png

but when adverts do more than just provide information
like adding music or trying to make it personal
or even directly telling you to do something
as in this advert:
youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6a-t9vDyU
that is bad advertising.

the purpose of a advert should be only to provide information to the person receiving the advert
the person receiving the advert should then make
the decision the advert should not tell you.

examples of bad adverts:
youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8bzDuBEM0
and the message in this advert is your dog takes
care of you so its your duty to take care of it.
using emotion the increase the chances of you buying
the product

an example of using music and people’s reactions
to make you buy the product
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROZhrRm88ms

Trisquelian
Beigetreten: 01/23/2015

From what I read, you are judging something as good and bad without making clear that this is your own perspective.

Since you are keeping yourself to TV adverts, you have to understand that they are produced by marketing teams, not the product designers themselves or the companies' owners. These adverts will very often focus on playing around with emotions, since it can easily allow for someone to connect with a product just by the way it is presented.

For example, last week I attended a conference of my countries most successful medium-sized companies (based on the organizer's own criteria) and a soap company was one of the most notable. This soap company faced hardship for almost 20 years with a chemical engineer leading the company. About 6 years ago, they decided to go all out and contract a few designers. Since then the staff has gone from ~5 people to about 130 and all they needed was to color and carve the soap and especially wrap the soap in pretty patter and elaborately designed boxes (even the shipping ones). The recipe did not change nor did the usability, since the price to soap ratio as increased severely to costumers.

Another example, afterwards came an electronics production company onto the stage and they only sell to other companies, of course here it is absolutely irrelevant if they paint the boxes in bright green or purple. They are successful by their efficiency, price gouging and future prospect among others.

The adverts that target children are a more sensitive matter and should have more regulation. Cereal products are mostly safe compared to McDonald's in terms of dosage, the latter really relied on children/teen targeted adverts to expand to where they are now.

Getting back to the topic, companies should be free to present adverts on the web. The issue at hand is the addon maintainers who go low enough to accept money to renounce their principles without making a clear statement. People should be aware of this, but Mozilla is bound to accept this behavior and even if the addon gets taken down another will take it's place, because it will still be profitable enough for those to comes. This is why there must be free alternatives, so that people cannot be controlled by the few that run the project.

tomlukeywood

"From what I read, you are judging something as good and bad without making clear that this is your own perspective."

yeah just to be clear when i say bad i mean a bad thing
not bad in the terms of not a large amount of pepole are buying the product

ssdclickofdeath

"The issue at hand is the addon maintainers who go low enough to accept money to renounce their principles without making a clear statement."

It's no secret that AdBlock Plus has been doing this. They are quite open about it, actually.
https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Trisquelian
Beigetreten: 01/23/2015

The addon description says that it blocks ads and then that it blocks annoying ads and then just ads again. Seems like not very well defined at all. I have also read through their "Acceptable Ads" policy, the following comes to attention:
"No applicant will be favored or treated differently, and no one can buy their way onto the whitelist. Everyone has to comply with the criteria and everyone has to go through the same process before the ads qualify as "acceptable"."
Then on another page:
"Whitelisting is free for all small- and medium websites and blogs. However, managing this list requires significant effort on our side and this task cannot be completely taken over by volunteers as it happens with common filter lists. That's why we are being paid by some larger properties that serve non-intrusive advertisements that want to participate in the Acceptable Ads initiative."

This sounds reasonable to some extent (to them), I guess they just do not live up to their name. I know people that do not tolerate a single static banner ad and those who do not care at all. "Annoying" is just too much of a relative term and it will be determined by the company behind Ad Block Plus.

G4JC
Beigetreten: 03/11/2012

I've added uBlock to the addons repo several days ago, it is considerably better in both performance and blocking than ABP or ABE.
https://trisquel.info/en/browser/addons/ublock

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

if it were for me all adds would be illegal..
icecat always in private mode + spyblock + easylist + noscript + disconnect

tomlukeywood

i think they just need to be more regulated

do you oppose the think penguin or the gift store advert
on the trisquel website?

Untitled.jpeg
Jodiendo
Beigetreten: 01/09/2013

tomlukeywood said:

i think they just need to be more regulated

do you oppose the think penguin or the gift store advert
on the trisquel website?
==============================================My answer+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No! I don't agree with your insinuating statement!

I believe the corporation "Think Penguin" has the right! Remember they are already donating 25 percent cash for their promotional advert. Corporate Think penguin does donate 25% percentage for every sales they are making to the project. In other words, Some money is already donated to Trisquel, more than you and a lot of users, put together.

tomlukeywood

i think the think penguin advert is fine
i was just asking someone why they wanted to ban all adverts

also please explain why my statement was insinuating?

the definiton of insinuating
"tending gradually to cause doubt, distrust, or change of outlook often in a slyly subtle manner"

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

I laughed out loud at that definition of insinuating - that is exactly Jodiendo!!
Tomlukey - you don't understand one thing: Jodiendo enjoys very very much trolling and joking - you must never take it personally..
Jodiendo - old troll - did you just say "birdy num num?"
Or did you say "I would like to buy a hamburger?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuUsuTOdNkA

:)

NYNEX
Beigetreten: 04/27/2013

Adblock is a useless plugin and does not do a single thing for privacy or freedom. Once the plugin project started taking bribes from various advertisement vendors, all bets were off. It is best to block the various TLD / IPs of known AD servers using a hosts file like [1].

[1] Hosts file : http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Mampir
Beigetreten: 12/16/2009

Since everyone is throwing suggestions:

I use RequestPolicy Continued. It blocks all external links. This practically removes all ads and blocks all spy services, like Google Analytics and many-many others.

It works by you specifing which domains the site is able to make requests to. You can see the attempted request when you visit a site.

It requires more maintenance, since you have to explicitly set allow domains. I find it a good compromise, because it gives complete control. It stops getting so much in the way after browsing a bit and setting allow rules around.

When you install it, just make sure to set it to block everything by default and remove all "Subscriptions" (predefined white lists).

I believe that's how the web should work actually. Web sites shouldn't be making requests to other web sites in the name of the visitor, without asking. Unfortunately, since that's how things are now, it takes work to protect your privacy as a visitor. If you are a web developer - please make standalone sites.

Triqel
Beigetreten: 12/06/2014

One alternative could be Policeman https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/policeman/ I have not tested it but it has received good reviews.

QuestionsQuestionsEverywhere
Beigetreten: 02/02/2015

Guys, you should try µBlock, it's great. Check the memory usage.