Overheating of Radeon HD 8550G when using open-source driver

5 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
lissovbk
Beigetreten: 04/28/2016

Hello,

I've got a GPU issue with the following graphical card:

$ lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8550G]

I tried to install Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre 7.0 but was not able to finish the installation due to overheat and consequent turning off of my laptop. Neither graphical nor text mode worked. Editing grub.cfg to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.dpm=1" after I managed to install the operating system using additional cooling did not solve the problem.

I also tried to install Ubuntu GNOME without proprietary drivers, and the situation was the same.

CPU is definitely not the source of issues, for it is not overloaded, and the overheat of the equipment caused solely by GPU, which burns up to 85-88 degrees centigrade before shutdown of the system.

Now I'm with Ubuntu GNOME using Catalyst driver, and everything is OK with my graphical card. But not everything is OK with my freedom, as you might understand.

Could you please suggest any solution for the open-source driver overheat issue? I want to use FSF-endorsed distribution of GNU/Linux if this is technically possible, after all.

Thank you in advance.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

>Could you please suggest any solution for the open-source driver overheat issue?

I've struggled with an ATI GPU for months back when I had a laptop with one of those horrible graphics cards. All Ati cards require proprietary firmware for video acceleration to work. As of the linux kernel 3.11 they also require the same blob just to display the correct native screen resolution.

I can give you a non-solution: install Debian and keep it as it is by default (libre) and add temporarily the non-free repo to install the package firmware-linux-nonfree.
Then remove from sources.list the non-free repo. That way you'll have a libre distro with only the non-free firmware for your GPU (which is better than keeping Buguntu but still bad for your freedom..)

I can also give you a real solution: sell your laptop and with the money you earn from it buy yourself a laptop with an Intel integrated GPU older than skylake.

cheers

vita_cell
Beigetreten: 07/19/2015

i3, or i5-5200u or i7-5500u have a HD5500 gpu. Never more I can recommend Nvidia or ATI/AMD. All AMD are a furnance toaster chips, are very very hot. If you want 3d with most compatible drivers and stable FPS, go with Intel. If you want more performance, more FPS but unstable, you can get Nvidia Kepler chip, (gtx650....gtx770)

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/#NVE0

and when you want performance, every time you must reclock it before, and anfter downclock.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

vita_cell: I see you write often about this reclock on nvidia gpus. I never had an nvidia gpu and have no experience with it whatsoever. Could you spare me the trouble of researching on the net for it and kindly explian in few simple words how do you do the aforementioned reclock? It could be useful for me in the future.
What's the terminal command you use? tx in advance

vita_cell
Beigetreten: 07/19/2015

Year ago I must to doing reclock with very compliated patches, before Linux4.4. No more patches are needed for 4.4, but still needed to boot with nouveau.reclock parameter. But now, since kernel 4.5 you get everything out of the box, only thing you need is a compatible Kepler gpu (all Kepler supposed to be compatible, but some chips works better than others), GNU/Linux and terminal with root access.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=linux-4.5-nouveu-pstate-howto

Reclock up, when you need 3d power, and after your tasks, just downclock.

But forget doing something to GPUs newer than Kepler.

lissovbk
Beigetreten: 04/28/2016

Hello people!

The problem has been solved.
The way is:
1) Switch to UMA graphics instead of dual one.
2) Limit the CPU speed to minumum.

Now everything is working quite stable, but PC is lacking 3d acceleration. The latter is not important for me who considers his PC as a typewriter primarily.