PROBLEM: Tor, Firefox, and linux-libre 4.12?

13 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
UsernameV
Beigetreten: 05/23/2017

Hi, this is the issue.
I have Debian-Libre in my computer (before i had Mint and id just kicked it ass) and ive been using the tor network and configured Firefox to connect to it.
Tonight ive installed the linux-libre kernel 4.12-686-pae and it just works very well.
But once it installed it, firefox doesn't allow me to conect to Tor any more, i had to deactivate it.
Are these really related? is it a firefox problem? a kernel problem?
Please Help.

AnhangGröße
Captura de pantalla_2017-08-03_04-04-59.png44.77 KB
Captura de pantalla_2017-08-03_04-06-03.png764.29 KB
Libremind
Beigetreten: 06/20/2017

> Hi, this is the issue.
> I have Debian-Libre in my computer (before i had Mint and id just
> kicked it ass) and ive been using the tor network and configured
> Firefox to connect to it.
> Tonight ive installed the linux-libre kernel 4.12-686-pae and it just
> works very well.
> But once it installed it, firefox doesn't allow me to conect to Tor
> any more, i had to deactivate it.
> Are these really related? is it a firefox problem? a kernel problem?
> Please Help.
>
> Message: "Proxy server is rejecting connections"
>

Hi, the problem is apparmor blocking tor, that's caused by missing profile (check logs with 'dmesg'), to fix it install apparmor: sudo apt install apparmor and then reboot.
After that everything should work fine.

UsernameV
Beigetreten: 05/23/2017

Well, this actually worked.

Captura de pantalla_2017-08-03_13-49-18.png
SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

Hmm, I don't get it. Can you help my senility out?
Are you implying that apparmor is a tor dependency now?
Is this a bug or something?
How exactly have you fixed this.
I am very curious now.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

bump!
still very curious

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

So.. you removed a kernel that has been optimized to work as smooth and trouble-free with your distro and that is by default 100% libre to install a libre kernel? To each his own, I guess.

The first and the most important apparently warning the Tor devs keep repeating to the users of Tor is, and I quote:

To avoid problems with Tor configuration, we strongly recommend you use the Tor Browser. It is pre-configured to protect your privacy and anonymity on the web as long as you're browsing with Tor Browser itself. Almost any other web browser configuration is likely to be unsafe to use with Tor.

I shall add the TorBB also takes care of fingerprinting, which is apparently something you should take quite seriously.

Debian does NOT ship apparmor by default. In fact to have it not only you need to install the package but also manually add a liner in grub to set it.

That being said, I see no indication whatsoever that apparmor is the problem.

>Hi, the problem is apparmor blocking tor, that's caused by missing profile (check logs with 'dmesg'), to fix it install apparmor

That makes no sense at all (unless the advanced senility is playing me bad cards agin'..). How could something that is NOT installed and NOT running be the cause of any problem. And why would the installation of something that is blocking something fix it? x_X

OP: your issue is likely: you fucked up the configuration of your 'custom TorBB' at some point, which is exactly why you should listen to the Tor devs.

cheers

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

"So.. you removed a kernel that has been optimized to work as smooth and trouble-free with your distro and that is by default 100% libre to install a libre kernel? To each his own, I guess."

One of the reasons that my APT repo exists is for people to be able to easily install a newer version of a libre kernel if they should need it for some reason. (The OP mentioned version 4.12.)

albertoefg
Beigetreten: 04/21/2016

Yes :) new kernels are the best :D

GNUbahn
Beigetreten: 02/18/2016

For example to have (much) better touchpad responsiveness on a librebooted MacBook

GNUbahn
Beigetreten: 02/18/2016

Do you generally recommend installing a version newer than the default of e.g. Trisquel Belenos, or is that not necessary?

jxself

I imagine the the purpose of my Linux-libre APT repo two be two-fold.

One is that a classic reason to get a newer kernel is support for newer hardware. Imagine something like "my new WiFi or graphics card (or whatever) won't work without a newer kernel." Or sometimes a new kernel will provide some new feature or functionality that someone wants.

The other is for someone that's using a distro without a free kernel and so they can replace that kernel with a free one.

If someone is in one of these two situations then by all means they should go use it.

But installing it just to be installing it? Not really. If there's no actual need of it (because a: they already have a free kernel and b: there's no particular hardware support or new functionality that they need), then why bother? The distro's own kernel should be meeting their needs in that case.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

jxself

Choice is always a good thing. Plus, that's only 4.11. Plus, not everyone with with a distro using APT is on Debian.

My point remains: One of the reasons that my APT repo exists is for people to be able to easily install a newer version of a libre kernel if they should need it for some reason. (The OP mentioned version ***4.12***.)

And so, contrary to what you seem to be implying, I stand by my position that there are valid use cases for my APT repository.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

>Plus, not everyone with with a distro using APT is on Debian.

Oh, that was meant for the OP, not you, jxself.
OP is on Debian.

>And so, contrary to what you seem to be implying, I stand by my position that there are valid use cases for my APT repository.

I'm not implying anything other than what I already explicitly 'explied': there is no better kernel than the one that is optimized to be as stable and compatible as possible for your distro by your distro developers. Same reason Trisquaeullo uses da deblobbed Buguntu kernel and not libre linux.

But this is not important. What **is** important is that you don't get me wrong and understand that I truly appreciate your work on the libre linux kernel and do know your work is very needed and useful indeed. I mean it. I did not forget, I am an elephant, how much you helped me with your kernel in the past. And I want to renew my proposal of 'Santo Subito' :)
If not santo subito then 'jxself for the president'. :P