Successful Trisquel install on a MacBookPro 13,2

5 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

Just to report that installation of Trisquel 11.0 Mate edition worked without any issue on a MacBookPro 13,2 (from 2013 I think). I simply booted on the USB installer, went for the default options (I still selected LVM and ciphering) and after reboot Trisquel was there. everything worked fine. Everything works, besides wifi of course but I have a USB adapter for that.

For some reason, when I choose French in the installer, I always get some strange keyboard layout pre-selected, so I change it, but that is pretty easy.

I only noticed one small inconvenience: in the graphical login screen, everything is really small. After log in, the display is fine (scaling is applied).

PublicLewdness
Beigetreten: 03/15/2020

That's good news. My wife has a Macbook Air from that era so once she's done with it I may see if I can do the same for fun.

Avron

I am a translator!

I forgot a little piece of information: to boot from USB (to try or to install), one needs to press and hold the "option key" (on that computer, it is left alt) after the boot sound then select USB in the boot screen.

One argument for me to suggest installing Trisquel on that computer was that Apple stopped providing any update for it one year ago.

Also, I ran "Try Trisquel without installing" on my boyfriend's iMac from 2012, it seems to work fine. It has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 675MX. I ran "sudo glxinfo -B", it says:

trisquel@trisquel:~$ glxinfo -B
name of display: 0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: nouveau (0x10de)
Device: NVE4 (0x11a2)
Version: 22.2.5
Accelerated: Yes
Video memory: 979MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core provide version: 4.3
Max compat profile version: 4.3
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile vesion: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL rendere string: NVE4
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.2.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.2.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenG ES 3.2 Mesa 22.2.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

trisquel@trisquel:~$

I also looked at https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html, I can find 675M but not 675MX. The category is NVCO, but I don't see anything in the output of glxinfo -B that is like that.

Anyway, it seems to work. Perhaps I should try things like playing a video. He is playing videos sometimes, but he does not use any computer game (neither do I).

Malsasa
Beigetreten: 12/01/2016

That's very good news. It's surprising, too, knowing an Apple hardware
works with fully free GNU/Linux distro. Thank you for your
information.

Best regards,

Malsasa

Avron

I am a translator!

I now installed Trisquel on the imac as well. This model is called "imac 13,2". In addition to what I mentioned, it is equipped with what Apple calls a "Fusion drive", which is a 128 GB SSD working together with a 1TB HDD in a way that I never really understood.

For installation with the graphical installer, I selected the default option to install on the SSD with LVM without ciphering and, when the install was complete, after reboot, I used commands to move home to the HDD and use the remaining space for the root file system. I preferred not using the "something else" partitionning option of the installer because I am not sure I understand it well enough.

Using the guidelines in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LVM (it is more complete than the LVM wiki page from parabola), I created a new physical volume on the HDD (pvcreate), a new volume group in it (vgcreate), a new logical volume in the volume group (lvcreate) taking the whole space, and made an ext4 file system (mkfs.ext4) in it.

I mounted it as /mnt/home, created the user home directory in it, copied the contents of /home/user in that directory (using rsync -Aax), modified fstab to refer to it for /home and rebooted. I deleted logical volume for home on the SSD, rebooted on the Trisquel live USB, enlarged the logical volume of the root file system to take the whole free space while resizing the root filesystem (see resizefs in the archwiki), then rebooted.

Sunny Day
Beigetreten: 01/05/2023

Great news and info, thank you all!