Trisquel 9 slow start up, Thinkpad X200

5 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
iceburn
Beigetreten: 12/07/2019

Thinkpad X200, SSD, Trisquel 9 was an online upgrade from 8. Since changing from 8 to 9 the startup time has increased. It used to fire up very quickly and now after the initial power up screen there is about 20 seconds of black screen before the Trisquel logo and OS starts to load.

Why has the upgrade to 9 slowed the startup time ?
What can be done to make the startup time normal and fast and avoid the black screen pause ?

Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

I am not sure when you have this 20s black screen exactly. On my X200, here is what I have:

1. I press the power button.
  2. after 8s, I see the grub menu from Libreboot
  3. after 4s, I see 3 error messages "disk xxx not found", "Attempting to decrypt master key..." and "Enter passphrase for ahci0,msdos1", with a Libreboot background
  4. I enter the passphrase
  5. after 1 minute and 15s, I see "slot 0 opened", "error: no such partition.", "error: disk 'ata0,1' not found", "error: no such partition", same 2 for ata0,2, ata0,3, ata0,4 and ata0,5 (the "no such partition" is not present after the last one), "error disk 'ahci1,1 not found.", same for ata1,1 ahci1,2 ata1,2 ahci 1,3 ata1,3, then "More".
  6. I press a key
  7. after 10s, I have the Trisquel cloudy sky over the sea background and I need to enter the encryption passphrase again. Before that, I see the Libreboot background without message, the screen becomes black very briefly and then Libreboot background again.
  8. I enter the passphrase.
  9. after 60s I have the graphical login screen

It seems much slower than you but I don't see 20s of black screen at any point in time. I never used Trisquel 8 on this laptop so I can't compare. I have an HDD, "hdparm -t /dev/sda" says 70 MB/s.

Do you have similar steps? At which step is the 20s black screen?

iceburn

With X200 plugged in to mains:

1. I press power button
2. A few seconds as the BIOS screen appears
3. Black screen- can be up to 20secs
4. Password login x2
5. Desktop appears 57 seconds after power on. Trisquel 8 was faster.
--------------
6. Shutdown takes about 9 seconds.

Ok, compared to your start-up time mine is quick but the black screen pause (also on my X60 after changing from 8 to 9) is annoying and I'd like to know how to jump it using GUI.

iceburn

error

gaseousness
Beigetreten: 08/25/2020

Not sure, if it'd be the same case for you, but the nofail mount option helped a bit for me with external usb drives I had in my /etc/fstab would bypass the 90 second delay if they weren't hooked up or were being buggy?

snucks
Beigetreten: 05/07/2020

I've used trisquel as my first everyday driver for my home office organization and paying bills through abrowser . The change over hasn't been so obvious to me because I have a libreboot T400 SSD, but I am currently running my libre x200 and can confirm the difference is a bit much. I am educating myself on operating systems and desktop environments. So far I am trying to install Parabola OS through the client to run a xmonad wm with the just a few apps that I will consistently use offline.

I run Tris Mini so have you guys tried running a lighter desktop environment ? The floating windows are cool but I see myself using the full screen on multi monitors or draggin frequently to use up all of my screen space. I myself am looking into cleaning up my tris install by reading up on how to remove games and apps I have never used in a year.