Trisquel instruction set architecture support: i386, amd64, arm, arm64, risc-v and open power?

5 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
jeeppler
Beigetreten: 05/09/2019

What CPU instruction set architectures (ISAs) does Trisquel support today? What instruction set architecture (ISA) will Triquel support in the future?

If I go to the download page today, I can only download images for Intel/AMD 32 bit or 64 bit CPU's. Are those the only two supported CPU ISAs?

Does or will Trisquel support ARM processors, either 32 bit or 64 bit? Ubuntu, the distribution Trisquel is based on, supports at least ARM 64 bit. Today the majority of new single board computer are based on ARM 64 bit. In addition, the phone from Purism will run on an ARM 64 bit platform.

Does or will Trisquel support RISC-V in the future? Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 LTS do not support RISC-V. However, Debian, the distribution Ubuntu is based on, does support RISC-V.

What about IBM's OpenPower architecture? Does or will Trisquel support OpenPower (Power 8, 9 etc.) in the future? OpenPower hardware is available for desktop users (See RaptorCS products: https://www.raptorcs.com/) as well as Ubuntu supports it.

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

"What CPU instruction set architectures (ISAs) does Trisquel support today?
If I go to the download page today, I can only download images for Intel/AMD 32 bit or 64 bit CPU's. Are those the only two supported CPU ISAs?"

Sounds like you found your answer. :)

Trisquel 9 is supposed to have support for ppc64el and ARM. I'm not sure which ARM since there are so many variants.

"Debian, the distribution Ubuntu is based on, does support RISC-V."

Not officially. It's in "ports", which is unofficial. Debian has some requirements which RISC-V fails.
https://ftp-master.debian.org/archive-criteria.html

I imagine it won't "graduate" for a long time still; at least a couple of years. Maybe more. It's hard to say. Even ppc64 still hasn't despite having hardware available (POWER9.) The only difference between ppc64 and ppc64el is endianness. ppc64 is big endian and ppc64el is little endian. POWER9 can operate in both modes.

andyprough
Beigetreten: 02/12/2015

>The only difference between ppc64 and ppc64el is endianness

I wonder if there will be a noticeable performance difference when using Power9 in big endian mode?

It's amusing that the terms big and little endian come from Gulliver's Travels.

jeeppler

Just because there is no image to download does not mean, that packages are not build for other architectures. Maybe there are some efforts underway, but nothing is official yet. That is the reason why I am asking here in this forum. My hope is that I can get an answer from one of the people involved in the Trisquel development.

jxself
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

"Maybe there are some efforts underway, but nothing is official yet. Just because there is no image to download does not mean, that packages are not build for other architectures."

In this case it does: Trisquel only supports only x86 right now. Trisquel 9 is supposed to have support for ppc64el and ARM. I'm not sure which ARM since there are so many variants. But none of that has started and even Trisquel 9 is still only being built for x86.

I don't expect to see Trisquel available for RISC-V until Ubuntu has implemented such support, which will probably be driven by Debian's support (which itself is still on http://ports.debian.org and not officially included even in Debian yet.) Given Trisquel's limited resources, tackling RISC-V would be a lot of effort to do on their own without having full upstream support behind them.

jeeppler

@jxself thank you for the explanation.