USB Wifi Adapter Issue: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Issue after update to Linux Kernel 4.4.0-194 on Trisquel 8 Mini

6 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
tek12
Beigetreten: 12/03/2020

Hi

Last week, I installed Trisquel 8 Mini (64-bit) to my old 2007 HP dv6xxx laptop (after pretty satisfied with it on VM).
My laptop is an old 2007 laptop running Intel T5500 (Core2 - Merom gen).

My original wifi adapter is dead. So I used a TP-LINK USB adapter, which is quite old already too.

The initial install, runs fine. The initial OS (running Linux kernel 4.4.0-114 iirc) was snappy and fast, fits and runs pretty great!

So I ran the [software updater], and updated everything. The kernel updates to 4.4.0-194.
Everything seems to still run fine, but only that the USB Wifi adapter won't be recognized anymore.

Everytime after plugging the USB, the laptop would freeze. No mouse, no keyboard inputs, no lights on the USB device. Sometimes the CAPS light would blink though... sometimes. I had to press and hold the power button to turn off / do hard reset. Then it would still boot again, like nothing happenned (maybe there are stuffs written to the kernel log or others, but I have no expertises to diagnose much of it). Basically the OS freezes, once I plugged in the USB Wifi.

To use the wifi, then I had to boot the old original kernel 4.4.0-114 or use Windows again.

What happenned here? How to fix this?

Thanks

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

I would try a more recent kernel such as the one you get installing the "linux-generic-hwe-8.0" package (a 4.15 kernel), from the system running on the older kernel (to get an Internet connection).

tek12

Well, my TP-LINK TL-WN722N adapter is from 2014 (I bought it then, must have been available earlier), why wouldn't the GA kernel work ?

There is even a topic for this adapter : https://trisquel.info/en/forum/14-fantastic-wifi-adaptor-tp-link-tl-wn722n Not seems to be the case now for me..

Why would an update (from the original install image of 4.4.0-114 to 4.4.0-194) break it / make it NOT work ANYMORE ?

Well, I am humbly, not an expert in anything here, how would I be able to install the 4.15 hwe-kernel?

Would I be able to try it, then revert (roll/uninstall) back if I find it not working (like I would like to do actually to the -194 kernel installed now)?

nadebula.1984
Beigetreten: 05/01/2018

First of all, make sure that your TL-WN722 is revision 1.x (Atheros AR9271), not any newer revision (Realtek RTL8188).

tek12

Hmm.. Idk. Couldn't be sure tbh. Because there isn't anything on the body that kinda tells. I would look for the box, but might not even exist anymore at this moment.

Anyway, would the Realtek version work with the older (initial install) kernel 4.4.0-114 though?

*update: It's a ver 1.10 (oops.. I still have the box lol)

tek12

The uninstall part, I might found the answer here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1126500/how-to-rollback-to-an-older-kernel-on-16-04-purge-kernel-automatically-installs

But haven't tried it though..

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

I use the same Wi-Fi adapter as you. On Trisquel 9, with a 4.15 kernel. I believe the same kernel you would get by installing the package named "linux-generic-hwe-8.0" (for instance from the "Synaptic Package Manager") and rebooting.