Use which edition for hp Compaq Mini CQ10-400

9 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Lappi
Beigetreten: 05/28/2022

I want to install a libre OS on a hp Compaq Mini CQ10-400, which had quite an expired Windows version on it, but am not sure which one to use. I tried Trisquel on a bootable USB, at first it came up with "Error:...", didn't get what it was about, then the screen proceeded to look normal. In the info on the computer about itself, it says memory size 1024 MBRAM. Windows will be gone from it. Advice what may fit on this device is appreciated, thanks!

Avron

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

>then the screen proceeded to look normal

Do you get the menu with the option to install Trisquel?

I guess Trisquel mini could be better than the default Trisquel (LXDE takes a bit less memory and by default uses a small enough font size for a resolution such as 1024 x 600, which is what I found your laptop has).

Lappi

It said "Try Trisquel without installing". - Decided to go with Trisquel-mini for this device, made a bootable USB, verified it. Now, though the Ethernet cable is plugged in, Abrowser is not connecting to the internet. Not sure whether things work differently in this regard on LXDE. No sense installing I can't get it to connect to the internet.

Lappi

Tried to find info on the LXDE forum about problems connecting to Wifi, there wasn't much there. Finally realized that I could use the bootable USB with Trisquel mini on it on a different device where I know the Ethernet cable works, which is where I'm writing from now. In case someone reads this and has an idea what could cause Abrowser not being able to connect to the internet with the Ethernet cable plugged in on the hp Compac mini CQ10-400 please let me know because I would like to install Trisquel mini on it to be able to use the internet.
One nice thing about LXDE is that 'suspend' actually seems to work, the device wakes up after pressing a button, which means one's settings are still there. In AbiWord, though, I found that they include a plugin to 'search with google' (really!).
Also, on a different device, with a bootable USB with Trisquel 9 on it, tried installing NoScript and uBlockOrigin, and it seems to work. On one website I saw noScript had marked google as trusted, and I could not get that changed, whereas I think on the uBlockOrigin on the installed Trisquel 9 that is still not accessible though in the bootorder on another device, I had set google to 'not trusted'. At this time, I prefer to access the internet with noScript and uBlockOrigin, so it's good to know I can use a bootable USB and have those as long as I don't reboot.

Avron

I am a translator!

Most wifi cards do not work with free software. USB wifi adapter that use the AR9271 work with Trisquel. For instance https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb works (a bit expensive but the smallest you can find and it works for sure). Otherwise you can search "AR9271" on ebay, any USB wifi adapter with that chipset should work.

With an ethernet cable, did you try "ping -c 3 www.gnu.org" in a terminal? And "ip addr"? What are the output?

Lappi

Pinging the fsf with an ethernet cable it says 'Temporary failure in name resolution'.

Pinging the router with an ethernet cable at the number on the sticker on it, I guess that's its IP address, it says
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.857/1.516/2.177/0.538 ms

The WiFi on this device works fine. But when 'Connected to Wired connection 1' websites cannot be reached.

Avron

I am a translator!

>The WiFi on this device works fine. But when 'Connected to Wired connection 1' websites cannot be reached.

Do you mean that you can access https://www.fsf.org with the wifi connection when the ethernet cable is unplugged? Is that with Trisquel 10 mini live USB?

I have a limited internet connection now and no USB to test, I could do try that when I am back home in two weeks.

>Pinging the fsf with an ethernet cable it says 'Temporary failure in name resolution'.

From the error message, the problem is host name resolution but internet might be working. The IP address I see for www.gnu.org is 209.51.188.116, can you try 'ping -c 3 209.51.188.116'? Also, what does 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' say?

Lappi

"Do you mean that you can access https://www.fsf.org with the wifi connection when the ethernet cable is unplugged? Is that with Trisquel 10 mini live USB?" Yes to both. After typing in the password, the WiFi appears to work fine, can check email, log into the Trisquel forum ...

'ping -c 3 209.51.188.116': with WiFi 0% packet loss
with ethernet cable: when starting device up, without having used WiFi, it says 'Temporary failure in name resolution'. Disconnecting from WiFi, then connect to 'Wired Connection 1' it also says 0% packet loss, however can't connect to websites, tried several times disconnect from Wired Connection 1, then reconnect to it, then ping, it keeps saying the 0% packet loss but can't connect to server at ...

'cat/etc/resolv.conf' says the same for WiFi and ethernet cable: 'No such file or directory', maybe that is because Trisquel mini 10.0.1 is not installed?

Avron

I am a translator!

>'cat/etc/resolv.conf' says the same for WiFi and ethernet cable: 'No such file or directory', maybe that is because Trisquel mini 10.0.1 is not installed?

I wrote 'cat /etc/resolv.conf', i.e. the cat command which prints on the standard output the contents of the files listed after, here /etc/resolv.conf

If you typed 'cat/etc/resolv.conf', i.e. without space between cat and /etc/resolve.conf, this tries to execute a file called resolv.conf in the etc directory that is in the cat directory that is in the current directory at the time you typed the command. Since there probably isn't any cat directory, it is normal that you get 'No such file or directory'.

Or did you type with the space?

Lappi

Okay, I had not noticed the empty space, so had typed cat/etc... So, typing cat /etc/resolv.conf, first with the ethernet cable, then disconnecting from that and connecting to the WiFi by typing in the password, it says the same for both:
This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.
This is a dynamic resolv.config file for connecting local clients to the internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all configured search domains.
Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers currently in use.
Third party programs must not access this file directly, but only through the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a different way, replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of operation for etc/resolv.conf.
nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
search hitronhub.home