What are the problems with ASUS Chromebook C201?

11 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
hoijui
Beigetreten: 12/21/2015

Libreboot supports this netbook, but they state (indirectly) that Trisquel does not support it:
https://libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html

What are the problems, and how can people help?

lembas
Beigetreten: 05/13/2010

On that page at the bottom in the license statement there is an email addy.

onpon4
Beigetreten: 05/30/2012

It's not a problem it has, just that it's ARM and Trisquel currently only supports x86. So it's really Trisquel that has a problem, not the laptop.

Debian supports ARM, though, so you could run Debian on it.

suitsmeveryfine
Beigetreten: 08/15/2014

You can't do it with the Debian kernel though, but only with the one from Chromium OS, which you need to deblob yourself (because nobody has done that yet).

onpon4

What are you talking about? Of course Linux has been ported to ARM for Debian. It even has its own package:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/linux-image-3.16.0-4-armmp

Please do not spread misinformation.

suitsmeveryfine

Please don't assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about just because you don't understand. This is my last post here because I don't like the tone on trisquel.info!

1. The depthcharge payload requires a custom kernel to boot. If you try to boot a "vanilla" kernel you will get a blank screen.

2. The Chromium OS linux kernel, maintained by Google, can be booted from depthcharge. It contains at least a wifi firmware blob and other things as well that the linux-libre deblob script normally removes.

3. Since the the Chromium OS kernel is a mixture of different kernel versions you cannot simply apply any of the existing lnux-libre deblob scripts on it.

4. The Debian installation guide for this particular computer recommends that the user keep Google's signed ChromeOS kernel.

onpon4

You're right. But just one thing...

> This is my last post here because I don't like the tone on trisquel.info!

It's unfair to project my arrogance onto this entire community. It was my mistake alone.

suitsmeveryfine

If it had been just this comment, fine, but I've followed the discussions on this forum for a long time and there is too much squabbling for my taste. Therefore, I'll stick with the much healthier Guix and Parabola communities.

hoijui
Beigetreten: 12/21/2015

ahh.. so why does trisquel not support ARM? is it planned? what parts need porting?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

For a start, all programs written in a compiled language (such as C) must be compiled for ARM and packaged. Well, not all programs written in a compiled language but those that lead to correct binaries for ARM. Indeed, many developers (me included) do not possess ARM hardware and cannot test their programs on this architecture.

Rúben Rodriguez, aka quidam, is Trisquel's leader. He said at LibrePlanet one or two years ago that he planned to work on Trisquel for ARM.

vita_cell
Beigetreten: 07/19/2015

1 thing, what advantages has a ARM architecture on a computer, over x86-x64?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

No evil technology such as, in the Intel world (but AMD cripple their CPUs with similar technologies) the "Intel Active Management Technology", the "Trusted Execution Technology" and vPro.