Xbox 360 controller - works with free drivers?

11 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/27/2010

I own the Xbox 360 gamepad. Yesterday I tried it out and it works perfectly fine, even force feedback is on. I have only trisquel repos enabled, although I used some ubuntu repos in the past, which are now disabled.

I don't know if I should be glad or not. It might mean that the thing usually works with free drivers. Or there is some overlooked binary-blob in the kernel that allows me to use the gamepad. How can I make sure the device runs with free drivers and does not load some kind of firmware?

AndrewT

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 12/28/2009

Just download a fresh .iso and test out the gamepad to be sure. The kernel ought to be entirely free of nonfree blobs.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

It actually works. One only needs the xserver-xorg-input-joystick package. Also installed joystick, not sure if it's really necessary. Don't get me wrong, but the gamepad is quite good. For newer games at least, old-school things need a better D-pad, but one can't have anything in one package.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

It actually works. One only needs the xserver-xorg-input-joystick package.
Also installed joystick, not sure if it's really necessary. Don't get me
wrong, but the gamepad is quite good. For newer games at least, old-school
things need a better D-pad, but one can't have anything in one package.

Alden
Beigetreten: 03/04/2011

Good to know, I still have a day 1 360 red-ringed that I haven't fixed. I haven't been gaming much since I have attached myself to other passions... But I may fix it for the g/f's son, but then I wouldn't be teaching him right, now would I?

But since I have the hardware controller itself, I may use it until I get a free hardware one day... I can't wait! Now that I think about it, the specs and how it works may be freely available, and more so since free drivers do exist.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

free hardware gaming console would be a dream. I was a big Sega fan back in 16-bit days (actually, I still have a Mega Drive and some games) and it would be so sweat if they would make a comeback into the hardware business with something that runs a version of GNU/Linux and uses OpenGL and all the tools are free software. I think I would buy that even if it was overpriced as hell :D

Alden
Beigetreten: 03/04/2011

Yea, I was a Nintendo fan myself. But a libre console would be awesome, no matter what... Perhaps that should be on the road-map to general acceptance. We all know how much games play a role in Windows usage, and closed software in general.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

Yeah, games are kind of important for me. This is why I went with the Intel GMA solution, so that at least free software games run well. Some win-games are also doing very fine with that card, one has to turn the texture detail and the likes down however.

seanj
Beigetreten: 03/23/2011

I was looking for an Intel add-in graphics card because I read they work great with free operating systems, but it looks like they can only be found built-in and there's no way I can manage to buy another computer.

It's interesting that the motion sensor created for Xbox 360 has free drivers already.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

It has a motion sensor? I'm not aware of that, only gimmick I noticed was force feedback. It does work, however it seems to be buggy.

About Intel graphics: you don't have to buy a whole new PC. Motherboard, CPU + cooler and RAM is all you actually need. I spent 150, maybe 160 euros for all that and the components are pretty good. Boards with integrated Intel graphics are almost always cheap, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Mine has high-quality solid capacitors and a so-called OC-switch, if you wish to overclock without going into BIOS. You can flash the BIOS from USB, boot from a USB BIOS, etc. Not at all a low-end solution.

Intel graphics work very well with Trisquel, but the performance could be better. My card is supposed to support Direct X10, but it has no where near the performance of usual Direct X10 cards. It's more like a Direct X8 card or something.

gobusto

I am a member!

Beigetreten: 02/07/2010

Nice. This must be a fairly new feature, since 360 pads didn't work with Trisquel the last time I checked.

I've added some information on how the axes and buttons are mapped here, along with information about the PlayStation 3 SIXAXIS pad, in case anyone is interested in writing Trisquel games with joypad support.

It seems that the input mappings are different to those used by the official Windows driver, but that's no bad thing - the Microsoft driver combines both triggers into a single axis, and doesn't allow the central logo button to be used.

The information was compiled using a simple SDL test program, in case anyone was wondering.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

Exactly, both triggers are just one single axis in Windows and the D-pad is a coolie hat.