coreboot on GM965 platform development restarted?

No replies
nadebula.1984

Rumor has it that some hackers from coreboot community plan to restart the development on GM965 platform.

So I picked up one (last) X61 from the dark market. I upgraded the EC using the official BIOS image under the preloaded Losedows system. The upgrade was successful, and I installed an original AR5418 on it and it worked perfectly with factory BIOS image. This computer can be used as an experimental specimen.

Trivial matter: The WLAN card has Lenovo FRU number 42T0827, it's a variation of 42T0825. Both should be usable on 945/965 platform ThinkPads, except X300.

Still trivial matter: It seems that X61 models preinstalled with Intel 3945 have only 2 antennae, whereas those preinstalled with Intel 4965 (be it AG or AGN) have 3. The last X61 in the dark market that I purchased was a lowest-end one (T7100) with 3945 so it had only 2. I left the middle antenna connector blank and used the connectors on the left and right of the WLAN card.

Yet another trivial matter: As soon as I successfully updated the BIOS and EC and restarted the system, I saw a familiar blue screen (of death). It complained the file "athr.sys" corrupted. I recognized that it was the Atheros WLAN driver for 32-bit Losedows. Many years before, nearly all Losedows workstations in my lab were turned blue because a malware attempted to implant driver-level backdoors by modifying the NIC driver file. But due to the stupidity of the developers of the malware, they failed to "safely" modify the driver files. Instead, they corrupted them, and all resulted in the blue screen. I said "how timely is it..." and inserted my Debian Installer.