2020-04-21 Trisquel Mini ISO not working?

4 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Connochaetes

I am a member!

Iscritto: 12/13/2017

I have downloaded the 2020-04-21 version of trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso from http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/ because I assumed that it is a working (if unfinished) version intended to be tried out. Can I check if everything went well by comparing the contents of http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso.sha256 against the output of this?: openssl dgst -sha256 trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso

I ask because they do not match. Is this expected? Installation has failed, the details of which will make up the remainder of this post.

I tried to use the ISO to make a bootable thumb drive, which seems to work well initially. I selected the "live" option but used F6, Escape to edit the string of words, where I changed "splash" to "nosplash" which seems to succeed in suppressing the beautiful splash screen (with water drops and an inconspicuously pulsating Trisquel logo) that otherwise seems to hide progress during much of the preparation, and changed "quiet" to "verbose" because that's just how I roll. As the live system was being prepared, at one point, the magic seemed to want network access and continued as soon as I had plugged an internet cable into a fitting plug, with internet at the far end. But alas, a little later it hanged for minutes at this line: [ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes. After waiting a few minutes, I did not expect any progress and aborted the whole thing by using, I think, ESC or the power button.

When, instead of choosing the "live" option, I chose to install straight away, a message very soon popped up informing me that installation had failed because an unrecoverable error had occurred. The message also said something about the possibility to use a command line to investigate the matter. I closed the pop-up, got the ASCII art Trisquel with a login prompt underneath, entered "trisquel" as ID, nothing as passphrase, and got a command line where I told the computer to "shutdown now".

Beko
Iscritto: 08/31/2019

I don't know what the
"openssl dgst -sha256 trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso"
is..

I usually check with
"sha256sum trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso"

but if it doesn't match, then there's a problem and you shouldn't even try and install. It might have been intercepted and/or corrupted during download. Try to download the iso again, run sha256sum, see if the sum matches this time.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

Thanks. I did as you recommended. Sums don't match:

The model one from http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso.sha256 is acae2029[…]b589d9f9

Doing "sha256sum trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso" on my old download gave 5b31273[…]30c3272e.

But doing the same on my new download gives 60c36600[…]9f6d140b.

I'm at a loss.

I used an external downloader, I'll try downloading by browser. Or switching it off and on again :)

Connochaetes

I am a member!

It's all good now!

I wrote that the model checksum from http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso.sha256 is acae2029[…]b589d9f9", but (now, at least) it's 60c36600[…]9f6d140b, the same as my last download's checksum output.

Also I noticed my first ISO download was smaller than the other tries, so perhaps that is why installation failed.

I still don't understand it, but I hope it will work now.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

Ah yes, installation succeeded.

The session login prompt offers 3 window managers: "Trisquel Mini" (default, I don't know what it's based on), LXDE and Openbox. But I cannot start an Openbox session: I clicked Trisquel's crippled swastika logo, selected Openbox, gave my ID and passphrase, got the empty splash screen showing water drops on a flat surface, and nothing else happened for several minutes. No progress bar, no icons, nothing. I've tried twice and it happened both times.

Apart from this major bug, a very minor one is that when you are in the window manager selection list, you cannot select the one that's already selected, such as when you just want to see the options and then decide to stay with the old one.

Both of the other window managers work fine so far. I think I prefer LXDE as it seems to have slightly better support for navigation by keyboard (menu items are underlined BEFORE you press Alt, and Alt+F1 opens the main menu).

Pre-installed applications include PCManFM, Synaptic, Midori (internet browser), Abiword. No search GUI, and unfortunately no "Control Center". Compared to regular Trisquel, settings for appearance, keyboard and locale are less fine-tuned. [Edit: I retract that. Appearance adjustment is not worse than with regular Trisquel. I just hadn't found how to do some things.]