After Chromium, Ubuntu Now Converts Firefox to Snap by Default Starting with Ubuntu 21.10

8 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
gaseousness
Iscritto: 08/25/2020
nadebula.1984
Iscritto: 05/01/2018

I learned it as soon as the 21.10 beta release.

Presumably, Ubuntu is trying to strike a balance between deb and snap. snap makes it easier to smuggle proprietary junks.

lanun
Iscritto: 04/01/2021

> strike a balance

Strike deb, rather.

Wondering what nasnapula.1984 might think about this.

andyprough
Iscritto: 02/12/2015

Looks like Firefox is slow loading from a cold launch with Snap. You can watch Matt from TheLinuxCast open it here at the 15:27 mark:
https://odysee.com/@thelinuxcast:4/ubuntu-21.10-beta-first-look-ubuntu-with:3

Legimet
Iscritto: 12/10/2013

If they remove the deb version, I guess future versions of Trisquel will have to pull the firefox package from Debian unstable/experimental.

nadebula.1984

Ubuntu still relies on deb. Without deb Ubuntu would be nothing. And even if there would be no "firefox(-esr)" in Ubuntu's main/universe, it's still in Debian's main.

See how many distributions that want to develop their own packaging system have failed. Reinventing wheels is not always necessary.

andyprough
Iscritto: 02/12/2015

>"See how many distributions that want to develop their own packaging system have failed. Reinventing wheels is not always necessary."

Which ones have failed? Seems like a lot have succeeded and are doing well. I can't think of any package managers that are no longer in use.

nadebula.1984

One glaring example was StartOS, a Chinese distribution which initially used deb but then tried to develop its own ypk format... and then died.

Legimet
Iscritto: 12/10/2013

Ubuntu got rid of the Chromium deb package. There is still a transitional deb package but it just installs the snap. https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/chromium-browser

So there is reason to expect that they will do the same for Firefox.