Aramo ISO Beta 5 (Jan 24 2023)

48 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/15/2009

Hello guys,

Great news, just one month ago we were launching the 4th beta ISO set, and after the holidays we have the latest and greatest ISOs set.

This includes several updates and fixes, while we might keep using the Beta label for the ISOs set, Aramo is very well usable and solid at this point.

Here some of the main changes since Beta 4 ISO,

• small fixes and tweaks on the mate session and mate-teak
  • kyling got some artwork tweaks too
  • ifupdown pending issue got fixed
  • trisquel GNOME desktop now is offered as an option on the tasksel menu (debian-installer/netinstaller)
  • fixed the external PPA repositories parsing
  • small fixes and tweaks for the kde session
  • fixed update-notifier icon on notification area

Work in progress,

• aramo archive cleaning from old packages - thanks for the reminder Simon

Find the latest BETA images at:
http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/

All the feedback is welcome, current and new issues will be followed/tracked at the Trisquel's GitLab instance, please ask for your account at the devel mailing list or the #trisquel-dev channel.

Thank you all for all your previous feedback to all early testers and the community in general.

Cheers!

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hello again,

One important change on this ISO set that was missing is the use of a new partman recipe on the install process.

• Update on the partitioning recipe by defaulting to ext4 and requiring to define a swap partition, as well as improving EFI requirements.

Please test this new recipe on a VM or a test computer, remember to always do proper backups on production machines as migration among filesystems (xfs,ext4,etc) will erase existing data.

You can find the new recipes while booting the live mode ISO images at,
/usr/lib/partman/recipes/*

Cheers!

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

Executing in a terminal:
$ sudo sed -i 's/Prompt=lts/Prompt=normal/' /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Recherche d'une nouvelle version d'Trisquel
Les mises à niveau vers la version de développement sont seulement
disponibles depuis la dernière version prise en charge.

In English:
Upgrades to the development release are only
available from the latest supported release.

I run Trisquel 10, the "latest supported release". Shouldn't 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' upgrade Trisquel 10 to Trisquel 11 beta?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Since version 6.0 all releases are LTS, so Prompt=lts should stay as lts.

The meta data for upgrading among releases is not yet published (at the time of writing):

That's the reason it's not available.

Update: Please note that the "Beta 5" label refers to the ISOs set images, not the distro itself.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

For those brave early testers, it is possible to test the upgrade from nabia to aramo as a development upgrade, meaning that any issue found and fix will help to improve the upgrade process.

Please apply all the available updates before testing the upgrade process, once all the upgrades are in place you can use,

do-release-upgrade -d

Soon a new ISO image will be available with some interesting improvements on the kernel.
Regards.

Avron

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 08/18/2020

I just ran the upgrade on my x200, it took about 1h.

After reboot, it works but there is one strange issue: I see many wifi networks but not my own wifi network. I checked with my other laptop, my wifi network is working fine. I used another wifi routeur to create a network, I can connect to it. I tried my normal wifi with another laptop, it works fine. I rebooted, still the same: my own wifi is not visible, as is there would be some kind of blacklist. If I try to connect to it as "invisible network", it does not work. Any idea to fix this is welcome (I rebooted once more, no change).

Minor thing: the greeter is the same as with Nabia (login window on the left, selection of DE/WM near the login), it is not like on computers where I installed Aramo from an iso (login window at the centre, a different background mountain picture, selection of the DE/WM on top panel on the right).

EDIT: I tried with a wifi dongle, on it my home wifi is visible and I can connect to it. It is as if the internal wifi card blacklisted my network.

prospero
Iscritto: 05/20/2022

It looks like some settings from your previous config are preventing you from connecting.

Have you tried using that internal wifi card to connect to your home wifi from a live Aramo system?

Avron

I am a translator!

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried, it is exactly the same situation when booting on a live USB (internal card works, sees other wifi but not mine, dongle shows my wifi).

prospero

So it would in fact be related to some networking related change in Aramo, but you did not notice because you had been trying it on a different machine, with a different wifi card?

My updated Aramo install says kernel version is 5.15.0-60, AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter. I can connect to the same wifi network as I used to on Etiona.

Avron

I am a translator!

> you did not notice because you had been trying it on a different machine, with a different wifi card?

Yes, on my other laptop running Aramo, same kernel as you, I can see my wifi network without any problem with the internal wifi card which is AR93xx.

On the laptop that I just upgraded, same kernel, the card is AR9285 and I can't see it. I just tried booting on a Nabia live USB, my wifi is visible there using the internal card. So there is something that makes my wifi network not visible with Aramo and that card.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Could you check what channel is you wifi running at?

I would assume is a 2.4 wireless network, so if it's higher than 11 the system won't see it.

prospero

Does this not sound like a glitch of the current Aramo version of the ath9k driver when used with the AR9285 card? It works with the older Nabia kernel, so you already have that option. You could also try with a newer version of the linux-libre kernel, and see if that helps:

https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/freesh.en.html

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I updated a Trisquel 10 and am currently updating another one. In both cases, the "execution terminates because there were too many errors" (I translate from French). I then terminate screen (do-release-upgrade runs in GNU screen) with x, runs sudo apt --fix-broken install and sudo apt full-upgrade. In this (non-friendly) way, everything went fine on the first system. I am currently running sudo apt full-upgrade on the second system.

EDIT: it went fine on the second system too. In both cases, sudo apt autoremove removes many packages that became useless.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

do-release-upgrade has it's own log file, if you could recover that one /var/log/dist-upgrade, we might be able to do some black-box recovery and diagnose the issue.

Regards.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Here is the whole directory on the second system (let us start with that one).

AllegatoDimensione
dist-upgrade.tar.xz 1.07 MB
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I search for errors in those files. trisquel-wallpapers shows up as the culprit in apt-term.log:
Dépaquetage de trisquel-wallpapers (11.1) sur (10.2) ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-gconf-defaults", line 9, in
import os,tempfile,shutil,sys
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'shutil'
Error in sys.excepthook:
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 72, in apport_excepthook
from apport.fileutils import likely_packaged, get_recent_crashes
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/__init__.py", line 5, in
from apport.report import Report
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 15, in
import xml.dom, xml.dom.minidom
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'xml'
Original exception was:
dpkg: avertissement: old trisquel-wallpapers package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: tentative d'exécution du script du nouveau paquet à la place...
Error in sys.excepthook:
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 72, in apport_excepthook
Original exception was:
dpkg: erreur de traitement de l'archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-fgnH8S/025-trisquel-wallpapers_11.1_all.deb (--unpack) :
new trisquel-wallpapers package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Error in sys.excepthook:
Original exception was:
dpkg : error while cleaning up:
new trisquel-wallpapers package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1

The end of the log suggests that package alone triggered the end of the execution:
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-fgnH8S/025-trisquel-wallpapers_11.1_all.deb
Log ended: 2023-02-21 10:31:33

The end of main.log confirms that trisquel-wallpapers is the problem:
2023-02-21 10:30:57,642 ERROR got an error from dpkg for pkg: '/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-fgnH8S/025-trisquel-wallpapers_11.1_all.deb': 'new trisquel-wallpapers package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1'
2023-02-21 10:30:57,643 DEBUG running apport_pkgfailure() trisquel-wallpapers: new trisquel-wallpapers package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
2023-02-21 10:31:36,304 ERROR Exception during pm.DoInstall()
File "/tmp/trisquel-release-upgrader-qh1_1bx1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeView.py", line 220, in run
res = pm.do_install(self.writefd)
apt_pkg.Error: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
2023-02-21 10:31:36,396 ERROR SystemError from cache.commit(): installArchives() failed
2023-02-21 10:31:36,396 ERROR found exception: 'E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)'

There was one single other error logged in main.log, but 33 minutes before (so I doubt it matters):
2023-02-21 09:58:33,832 ERROR ubuntu-drivers-common not be available

screenlog.0 contains the exact same lines as apt-term.log, but it goes on after apt-term.log stops. After the upgrade to Trisquel 11 aborted, dpkg --configure -a ran to tentatively restore the system to a usable state:
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-fgnH8S/025-trisquel-wallpapers_11.1_all.deb
Exception during pm.DoInstall(): E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Impossible d'installer la mise à niveau
La mise à niveau a échoué. Votre système pourrait être inutilisable.
Une tentative de récupération va maintenant avoir lieu (dpkg
--configure -a).

During that restoration, dependency issues prevented the configuration of many packages. I believe that is expected after a partial upgrade to Trisquel 11. For instance, the first such error explains that systemd-sysv cannot be configured because systemd-sysv was upgraded but not systemd, one of its dependencies, which must be at a specific version:
dpkg: des problèmes de dépendances empêchent la configuration de systemd-sysv :
systemd-sysv dépend de systemd (= 249.11-0ubuntu3.6+11.0trisquel1) ; cependant :
La version de systemd sur le système est 245.4-4ubuntu3.19.
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet systemd-sysv (--configure) :
problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

I counted 50 such errors, which must be the threshold triggering the early end of the restoration and the display of the message I reported, which lists as well all the 50 packages that could not be configured:
systemd-sysv
xdg-desktop-portal
libtracker-sparql-3.0-0:amd64
rhythmbox-plugins
gnome-session-bin
geoclue-2.0
tracker-miner-fs
netplan.io
dbus-user-session
friendly-recovery
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad:amd64
bijiben
librhythmbox-core10:amd64
gnome-shell
libmutter-10-0:amd64
gnome-startup-applications
dbus-x11
libpam-systemd:amd64
gir1.2-json-1.0:amd64
libges-1.0-0
pitivi
rhythmbox
libedataserver-1.2-26:amd64
libclutter-1.0-0:amd64
nautilus
libgoa-backend-1.0-1:amd64
polkitd
libsnapd-glib1:amd64
python3-systemd
gnome-session
libgdata22:amd64
libgeocode-glib0:amd64
gir1.2-rb-3.0:amd64
libedata-cal-2.0-1:amd64
tracker
libecal-2.0-1:amd64
brasero
libebook-contacts-1.2-3:amd64
libgeoclue-2-0:amd64
gnome-control-center
libclutter-gtk-1.0-0:amd64
evolution-data-server
gnome-keyring
tracker-extract
libedataserverui-1.2-3:amd64
network-manager-gnome
gnome-online-accounts
gnome-settings-daemon
pkexec
dconf-service
L'exécution a été arrêtée car il y avait trop d'erreurs.
Mise à niveau terminée
La mise à niveau est terminée, mais des erreurs se sont produites
lors de ce processus.
Veuillez appuyer sur [Entrée] pour continuer
-- 0:aramo -- time-stamp -- févr./21/23 10:33:49 --
-- 0:aramo -- time-stamp -- févr./21/23 10:41:37 --
-- 0:aramo -- time-stamp -- févr./21/23 10:43:29 --
-- 0:aramo -- time-stamp -- févr./21/23 10:48:45 --
=== Command terminated with exit status 1 (Tue Feb 21 10:48:45 2023) ===

Do you want me to file a bug with the text above or would you do it for me?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Investigating a little more, I see that trisquel-wallpapers has no dependency whatsoever. Nevertheless, its post-removal script apparently requires Python. In Trisquel 11, the python3 package depends on libpython3-stdlib, which depends on libpython3.10-stdlib, which provides the shutil module (the file /usr/lib/python3.10/shutil.py) that was missing during my upgrade, according to the error messages. Would defining python3 as a dependency of trisquel-wallpapers solve the problem?

do-release-upgrade actually installed libpython3.10-stdlib (lines 4375-4377 of apt-term.log), but *after* trying to install trisquel-wallpapers (the first block of code in my previous message are in lines 4194-4258).

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Am I right when I say that your upgrade path is GNOME/Nabia to Aramo?

I'll run some tests, and check how to handle this issue once I pass the triage.

Thank you for a so very well documented answer.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I was running sudo do-release-upgrade -d from a GNOME Terminal running in a GNOME session on Trisquel 10 Nabia, if that is the question. If the question is rather about the packages I had, I was actually sticking to what the metapackages trisquel and trisquel-recommended were proposing on Nabia plus many packages, including gnome-session. In the archive I attached, there is another archive named apt-clone_system_state.tar.gz. It contains /var/lib/apt-clone/installed.pkgs, which lists the 2743 packages I had installed on Trisquel 10 Nabia.

(On Trisquel 11 Aramo, I installed trisquel-gnome and trisquel-gnome-recommended and removed MATE and many unnecessary packages; I am down to 2411 packages installed; not that it matters for diagnosing the problem.)

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I'll run some tests, and check how to handle this issue once I pass the triage.

Any progress?

I have just checked the logs on the other system. They tell the same story: same errors executing trisquel-wallpapers's post-removal script, do-release-upgrade installing libpython3.10-stdlib after trying to install trisquel-wallpapers, etc.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

It's fixed now with trisquel-wallpapers 11.2.
Cheers.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Great! Thank you!

eric23
Iscritto: 06/30/2017

I am trying Triskel 11.0 beta 5 an X200 with Libreboot version from Nov 2021. I was able to boot it, but there was no graphical boot menu. It gives me a "boot" prompt and I input help and gives me a menu with options of F2 - F10. I was not able to read any menu option because it boots automatically.

Booting in the install image and installation, I see a message checking to see a new Ubuntu version is available. I guess it isn't trying to update to Ubuntu right?

/lib/systemd/system/update-notifier-motd.timer

I tried to get the installer to update to the latest by having the box checked, but it didn't seem to upgrade. It claims that it would save time after the installation.

Are packages like ubuntu-artwork supposed to be available?

Avron

I am a translator!

Which entry in the Libreboot menu did you try?

With 20220710 Libreboot on X200 and Trisquel 11.00 beta 4, if I choose "Search ISOLINUX menu (USB)", I get into the menu that proposes the usual options ("Try Trisquel without installing", "Install Trisquel", "Install Trisquel in text mode", "Check disc for defects", ...).

eric23
Iscritto: 06/30/2017

I have seabios too though. So if I press escape at the seabios boot prompt, it gives three choices. 1, AHCI? I think, 2, is boot from usb, 3, is cbfs, that gives me the menu having the option "search ISOLINUX menu (USB)". Then if I select that option it gives the graphical Trisquel usb boot screen.

prospero

The popup volume bar that appeared on scrolling while hovering over the sound icon does not show on Aramo, similar to what was discussed for Nabia.

The mate-indicator-applet issue report mentioned in the other thread refers to differences between the old indicator-sound and the newer ayatana-indicator-sound, so I tried to replace the latter with the former, after which no sound indicator would show up at all in the indicator applet. So I reversed back to ayatana-indicator-sound, which is the upstream package that should be responsible for that behavior anyway.

I tried to visit there: https://wiki.ayatana-indicators.org/AyatanaIndicatorSound but am currently greeted by an "Unhandled Exception". I found an archived version but could not make anything of it. Not sure what this is supposed to mean: As a hidden treasure, when the pointer is over the title, whether the menu is open or not, clicking a mousewheel up or down should invoke the Louder] or Quieter] action respectively. (As usual, this should result in a notification bubble showing the volume change.)

Is it a wish, a requirement, or is it the description of the expected behavior? Should we deem the hidden treasure lost at sea?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

On every major update mate desktop details suffer changes from the main development team.

Since last time, when using a LiveCD of nabia you could get a volume bar when scrolling, I've now tested both Aramo and Jammy (mate) LiveCDs and none of those show such bar.

If your keyboard has special/extra volume keys, you still can check the bar when using those keys, but seems like the bar on mouse scroll is now lost on the old-archive sea.

prospero

Thank you for checking again. Yes, the disappearance was most probably caused by MATE switching to the ayatana-indicator thing. I am still using the ancient scroll method, but I just discovered that the right/left arrows could be used to fine tune the volume up/down when the volume bar in the menu is highlighted.

UPDATE: note that Super+Tab will switch focus away from the desktop and to the panel indicator, and let us navigate to the sound volume bar.

I have a feeling that XFCE has a more conservative approach to this kind of changes, I may give it a try on Aramo.

UPDATE 2: XFCE is not using ayatana, and indeed shows a volume indicator on scrolling over the sound icon:

XFCE_volume_notification.png
Avron

I am a translator!

I have a feeling that XFCE has a more conservative approach to this kind of changes

It takes time for users to get familiar with some environment and arrange it as they like. What some people can consider as an improvement can be a terrible regression for others. So indeed, not changing what a user sees, if the user did not take an action for the change, seems a good idea.

prospero

Based on the description from the 2021 version of the ayatana wiki, I believe this may be an oversight by the ayatana people, rather than a deliberate change. If nobody complained, it had little chance to be fixed. Note that if nobody complained, it can hardly be called a terrible regression either.

UPDATE: after some deeper inquiry and various experiments, ayatana-indicator is increasingly looking like the culprit: I was able to reproduce that behavior on Xfce by installing ayatana-indicator-sound, adding xfce4-indicator-plugin to the Xfce panel and removing xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin from the panel. As long as xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin is present on the panel, the popup volume indicator will show, whichever sound icon is hovered over while scrolling. Once it is removed, the popup is not showing any more.

prospero

The ayatana wiki pages now say "Not Found".

UPDATE: message in a bottle: https://github.com/AyatanaIndicators/ayatana-indicator-sound/issues/91.

As a workaround for MATE, I uninstalled ayatana-indicator-sound and installed mate-media, which provides a simple volume control applet to add to the panel. On mouse hovering over the sound icon, a tooltip with the current volume in percents is now displayed, and a left click reveals a vertical volume bar. Scrolling up/down while hovering over the sound icon or the volume bar increases/decreases the volume by 5% steps. Not far from perfect to me.

sdi-p
Iscritto: 10/04/2015

Aramo Date and Time Manager
my clock is ~half a day off

with the GUI the time zone is correct, however the NTP sync is set to off, and the slider is grayed out.

running in terminal:
(mate-time-admin:599459): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:07:52.288: gtk_lock_button_set_permission: assertion 'GTK_IS_LOCK_BUTTON (button)' failed

===
then I discovered NTP package was not installed. after installing it still fails.
reboot did not help.

=== edit
after reboot the clock is now correct, but the GUI options are still greyed out.
this matters to me because I do travel into other time zones

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

IIRC, you need not ntp but systemd-timesyncd, it's disabled by default as a general policy of not having services pinging home.
By default no application on the default installation should open ports, or ping anywhere.

That also includes time sync.
Regards

sdi-p

using Synaptic I installed systemd-timesyncd
ntp was removed.

same thing, all options are greyed out.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Since this is a service you might want to first edit /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf

Here an example:
[Time]
NTP=0.debian.pool.ntp.org
FallbackNTP=1.debian.pool.ntp.org 2.debian.pool.ntp.org 3.debian.pool.ntp.org

Then check status with,
timedatectl show-timesync --all
timedatectl timesync-status

Now you should have ntp enabled.

all options are greyed out.

Yeah, the GUI is not very useful, let me look closer.

Regards.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A missing package was causing this behavior, it been included and should arrive in the latest update of trisquel packages.
Cheers! o/

sdi-p

updated... it works as expected now.

Thanks

Avron

I am a translator!

Just now, when running "sudo apt upgrade" for aramo:

• several packages were upgraded:
    fonts-trisquel trisquel trisquel-base-recommended trisquel-codecs trisquel-desktop-common trisquel-desktop-common-recommended trisquel-minimal trisquel-print-system trisquel-recommended

• trisquel-base was indicated as not updated

Should I do a "dist-upgrade" or a "full-upgrade"?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I use dist-upgrade it should resolve 99% of the upgrades correctly.

prospero

Update Manager was suggesting to "run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible", which is probably to be expected for a pre-release version. But then I was getting a "An upgrade from 'Aramo' to 'Nabia' is not supported with this tool" error.

Running this indeed solved the problem:

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Thanks.

sid
sid
Iscritto: 02/09/2022

Question 1: Where can I find the Trisquel signing key and the signatures for the development builds?

Question 2: Does the Trisquel website have a package index or package search page to allow to see which packages are in the current, old and development repositories without needing to first install/run a particular release?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

1) All the files are in the same place: http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/

Maybe you'll like to check: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/verify-trisquel-download

2) And for packages in general (not necessarily the ones on the ISO files) you can browse here:
https://packages.trisquel.org/

In case you want to check the packages on each ISO you can use the manifest file for each one:
For example trisquel-mini_11.0_amd64 iso: http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/trisquel_11.0_amd64.iso.manifest

Cheers

sid
sid

Thanks for the reply.

> All the files are in the same place: http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/

I don't see any signature files there (for example I would expect to see a .iso.asc file). Does that mean development builds are unsigned? I don't want to run unsigned code.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

You're right, please don't run unsigned code.

You can install T10 then upgrade to the development release using,
do-release-upgrade -d

Note that even we are really close to a release state, this is still a development release.

Cheers

sid
sid

OK, thanks for the answer and suggestion. I wanted to try a live development release but I will wait for the stable release then.

If other people see the value and it is easy to implement, maybe include code signing in the workflow of future development releases? Just a suggestion :)

knife

I am a member!

Iscritto: 01/02/2019

I got an error while using
setfont on tty without any parameters.
I get:
setfont: ERROR setfont.c:406 kfont_load_font: standard font not found
(This is a translation from german to english)

I tried it on 2 different machines with aramo installed
The font for tty can be set with
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup but changing to standard font with command setfont is not possible.

knife

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

According to the documentation console-setup is the way to go, since it will use assistants and configuration files to setup console fonts.

setfont on the other hand relies on an actual file called "default".x.y at /usr/share/consolefonts/ to restore the "default" font.

If you want the default font please install the package console-data
sudo apt install console-data

Or you could manually setup a symlink with your desired font.

For example:
ln -sv /usr/share/consolefonts/Lat15-Fixed16.psf.gz /usr/share/consolefonts/default.psf.gz

Cheers.

knife

I am a member!

Iscritto: 01/02/2019

Oh, thank you for the info!

knife

prospero

Just to mention that I upgraded a Trisquel Mini Nabia system to Aramo today, running: sudo do-release-upgrade -d

All went well, no glitch, no hiccup. Joy and gratefulness.