Detect & format Toshiba Type DT101ACA200 2 TB disk drive

5 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
amenex
Iscritto: 01/03/2015

This disk drive was extracted from a network-connected data storage device and then
fitted into a USB 3.0 SATA external disk enclosure. It spins up freely, the access
LED is a steady blue, but I haven't found a way of making my Trisquel nabia operating
system detect it. The 'puter is a Thinkpad T430 with Type 4336 port extender with a
total of eight USB ports. The T430 has a pair of USB 3.0 ports accessible to this
disk drive. It gets fairly warm, and when left on & connected for about twenty minutes,
I can hear a beep every few seconds ...

amenex

Correction: Title has wrong Type; should be DT01ACA200.
dmesg | grep "New USB device found" gives a list that has several identifiers for each device;
file attached.

AllegatoDimensione
USB_devices.txt 1.39 KB
amenex

See: https://linux-hardware.org/?view=howto where it's said:
Probe — is a snapshot of your computer's hardware state.
Run this simple command in the console to create a probe of your computer (devices information and depersonalized system logs will be securely uploaded to the database and you'll get an URL to view the probe):

sudo -E hw-probe -all -upload > /media/george/Redacted/george/Redacted/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430/hw-probe.txt
The probe finds only the four installed & mounted HDD's, and does not see the DT01ACA200 whether it's powered on or not.

Geshmy
Iscritto: 04/23/2015

Have you used lsblk, lshw?

amenex

lsblk and lshw each find the four disks that are mounted as /dev/sda though /dev/sdd,
but doesn't list anything that I can recognize about any fifth disk. /dev/sdd has a
nominal 2.0 TB storage capacity, as would the fifth disk, which remains undetected.
Thanks for asking

amenex

On further reflection, I find that there is a pair of pins next to the SATA connector,
presumably for a jumper/shunt, but there's no reliable information on its purpose.

Then I discovered that the drive is lockable ... but zero online information on how
to lock/unlock the drive.