Libreboot X200

26 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
MANHOSO
Iscritto: 03/16/2015

well I'm new at this so I have some doubts.
I want to make the w7 and use trisquel.
just use the PC to see news, play games and watch videos on yutube.
I play very long hours.
the weekend I can be eight hours on the pc.
but this philosophy appeals to me even more after the case Edward Snowden.
want maximum security and more privacy.
but only found this Libreboot X200 laptop as 100% free hardware to add to 100% free software.
all this to ask if I can play games with this laptop or not. games with the philosophy 100% free software.
the best regards to community.
and this is the way forward for difficult as it seems the correct ultimately always prevail.
may take a while but is going forward.
excuse my English. with google translate.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

You can play free software games with the Libreboot X200. With 3D acceleration. You can take a look http://libregamewiki.org for some games. Many of them are directly installable from Trisquel's package manager (that cannot be simpler!). Also, if multiplayer games are your thing, this thread was created some 30 minutes before yours: https://trisquel.info/fr/forum/multiplayer-online-games-casual-players

As for playing videos from YouTube (or similar websites), take a look at https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/play-videos-without-using-flash

tomlukeywood
Iscritto: 12/05/2014
MANHOSO

I use w7 and I think trisquel is the best for me to change. but I am afraid because I never used linux so I ask destritos 100% free, which is the most simple or easy for me.
I think trisquel or Dragora.

davidnotcoulthard (non verificato)
davidnotcoulthard

Trisquel, followed by gNewSense or Musix. Dragora actually seems to be pretty intimidating difficulty-of-maintainance wise.

And the OS is GNU. Linux is a kernel. Operating systems need a kernel (and the FSF don't seem to have home-grown ones that can compete against Linux), but that doesn't mean it's named after the kernel it uses (take a look at Android, for example. It uses Linux, but the OS is still Android - a different one to GNU). The OS "combination" is not seldom referred to as GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux, to imply that the OS is GNU plus a piece of software called Linux.

Let's put it this way: If you put a Wankel engine from an FD Mazda RX-7 into a VW Combi, the Combi is still a Combi, isn't it? It doesn't suddenly deserve to be considered similar to (or the same as) the RX-7.

MANHOSO

Snares Penguin GNU / Linux Notebook is 100% free wardware like the libreboot x200 ?

JadedCtrl
Iscritto: 08/11/2014

It's a great laptop, but it has non-free BIOS. It's free software friendly, though, and works perfectly with Trisquel.

MANHOSO

I will opt for Libreboot X200 with 8gb ram and 120gb ssd.
I hope 120 gb is enough.
the cpu and graphics to play the games can be also very poor.
Now what kind of games are 100% free software or according to the philosophy and where can I find beyond the Libregamewiki.
how to distinguish between 100% free of not 100% free.

onpon4
Iscritto: 05/30/2012

Other than LibreGameWiki, there's also the Free Software Directory and the Trisquel repository. I think LibreGameWiki is the best list for games, though.

Ishamael
Iscritto: 08/29/2014

What is poor about the CPU, and graphics card?

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 10/31/2014

That thinkpad you talk about makes me drool like a drunk hobbit :)

Jodiendo
Iscritto: 01/09/2013

Still you are a drunk GNU! Hobbits are rude little creatures.....

tomlukeywood

how dose a drunk hobbit drool exactly?

MANHOSO

> What is poor about the CPU, and graphics card?
•Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB
•Graphics: Intel GMA 4500MHD
are not exactly the best Specifications
really old fashioned but for the type of games should serve.
and also does not exist anything in the market that is totally free wardware .

hnasiet
Iscritto: 02/10/2015

there isn't free hardware, there is free software friendly hardware. That's the best laptop you'll get running only free software, although there are probably much newer free software friendly laptops running Coreboot. Besides they're not that bad, I'm using an even older laptop :p

MANHOSO

> It's a great laptop, but it has non-free BIOS.
what is the importance of having or not having free bios ?
or better what the risks of privacy or freedom caused by non-free bios ?
because I am fan of games, 90% of the time I spend on the PC is playing.
I opted for the libreboot x200 because I got the idea that it might suffer attacks on my privacy.
but if not so dangerous perhaps it would be better to have opted for Snares Penguin GNU / Linux Notebook it seems to me better for my type of use .either way is already ordered the libreboot x200.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

what is the importance of having or not having free bios ?

Now that it can be flashed, the BIOS is no special software: https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html

The user deserves the control on her BIOS like on any software she runs: https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

or better what the risks of privacy or freedom caused by non-free bios ?

Firmware (such as the BIOS) can include malware. Malware that persists to an OS reinstall! The NSA creates such spying firmware (in hard disks): http://www.wired.com/2015/02/nsa-firmware-hacking

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 10/31/2014

the bios is the first software executed when you boot your computer. If the bios is malicious, and I mean expertly programmed to be malicious and compatible with your OS, then you can wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS 312321412 times - it is game over: at each boot your bios will take over your OS, it will modify your boot process and take control of your OS. That is how I understand it, from what I've read and understood. I may be wrong though.

a_slacker_here
Iscritto: 06/29/2013

Is libreboot x200 capable of handling doom3 and the Darkmod? I like those games a lot.

JadedCtrl
Iscritto: 08/11/2014

Yes it is. But the more RAM and better storage you get for it will make the game perform better.
Doom 3 and TDM will work better at 8GB and an SSD than on 2GB and an HDD, for example.

onpon4

More RAM only helps if you actually need it (i.e. your RAM is filling up and swap is being used). That said, 2 GB is probably a bit small today, anyway (you might have trouble with modern desktop environments, for example, on that amount of RAM).

tomlukeywood

i am running a x60 running libreboot with trisquel 7(normal not mini)
with a single core cpu and 2gb ram and 500gb HDD

and it runs fine
it can play quite a few 3d video games and just about all programs in a decent amount of time

onpon4

Trisquel uses GNOME Flashback, so this makes sense (it's approximately the same DE as GNOME 2). If you used GNOME Shell, plus a Web browser with several tabs open, that would probably eat up most or all your RAM.

Games aren't typically a gigantic RAM consumer.

MANHOSO

the real problem for games is the graphic power and the computing power and the libreboot x200 has weak cpu and gpu so it will have trouble running demanding games.
latest games that ask for more power from the cpu and gpu will be difficult to run in the libreboot x200 .

a_slacker_here
Iscritto: 06/29/2013

I was asking from the graphics and processor power point of view, I would like to play games like doom3, TDM and Chaos Esque. In fact, I was working on the Darkmod project as a mapper but I left my map unfinished as I was renouncing proprietary software: Nouveau is not good enough to handle those games with my Nvidia GPU.

Well, my map was not very good and perhaps it would never have seen the sunlight but I was learning a lot about modeling.