OBS Studio on X200

12 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
calher

I am a member!

Iscritto: 06/19/2015

I'm wanting to make PeerTube videos demonstrating Trisquel on my X200. My webcam works. Most people doing desktop videos (like David Wilson and Andrew Tropin) are using OBS Studio for recording and Kdenlive for editing, so I installed those.

I installed the package obs-studio. It gives me the following error.

Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.

Video ideas:
- Tracking system changes with Ansible and Git
- Setting up email with Emacs
- Installing GNOME on Trisquel
- Backing up with Borg Backup
- Serving media with Jellyfin
- Setting up The Lounge for IRC

eric23
Iscritto: 06/30/2017

Can you tell us your experience with webcamoid?

It works for me, but it is a little glitchy when you turn on the desktop video within the program.

In nabia and aramo it seems to recursively show video of the desktop like reflections in a mirror within the webcamoid window. So you want to minimize the window to record your screen.

The configurations are in the hidden folder .config/Webcamoid/

If it segfaults the second time running see if deleting Webcamoid.conf helps.

calher

I am a member!

webcamoid works on Trisquel 10 for me. However, I could not figure out how to get it to display my webcam video and my desktop video at the same time. The configuration options cover up the webcam video when I resize the window and put it in a corner.

It does not segfault when I run it a second time.

megurineturilli
Iscritto: 01/10/2012

Unfortunately your GPU is too old and modern GPUs and CPUs both require non-free software. However OBS will run on the Talos II[1] which does not need any non-free software. A 4-Core POWER9 CPU will be strong enough to run OBS without any BLOBs.

The next release of Trisquel will run on POWER9[2] and most likely also on future chipsets made by RED Semiconductor[3].

[1] https://ryf.fsf.org/products/Talos-II-Mainboard
[2] https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2022/fall/new-upcoming-release-of-trisquel-11-codenamed-aramo
[3] https://redsemiconductor.com/

PublicLewdness
Iscritto: 03/15/2020

"Unfortunately your GPU is too old and modern GPUs and CPUs both require non-free software. However OBS will run on the Talos II[1] which does not need any non-free software. A 4-Core POWER9 CPU will be strong enough to run OBS without any BLOBs.

The next release of Trisquel will run on POWER9[2] and most likely also on future chipsets made by RED Semiconductor[3].

[1] https://ryf.fsf.org/products/Talos-II-Mainboard
[2] https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2022/fall/new-upcoming-release-of-trisquel-11-codenamed-aramo
[3] https://redsemiconductor.com/"

1. Even the CPU and GPU on an X200 use non free software, it's just baked into the hardware rather than being required by the kernel.
2. Newer Libreboot releases allow more non free blobs than before so depending on what version they use their X200 isn't as pure as you may think
3. Your solution would cost the OP around $6000 USD, possibly more
4. Your Solution wouldn't solve the OP's issue of wanting to make Peertube videos demonstrating their X200
5. Assuming that something like a GTX 7xx series GPU is what you would be putting into the Power9 system why wouldn't they save money and get a D16 system which would cost around $2000 USD from Vikings ? Still a huge ask of someone but beats spending $6000+ on new hardware.

Vikings_thum
Iscritto: 04/04/2017

A Blackbird with a 4c CPU would be much cheaper than a Talos II if you don't need that many PCIe lanes, cores and sockets. *And* you'd support a small manufacturer of libre-friendly hardware (RaptorCS), even though you might find the price increases over the past two years more than ridiculous.

If it's not a matter of budget (Blackbird still more expensive than a D16 workstation) I'd *always* get the Blackbird. Just note that while most software works well, not everything will run as smooth on POWER compared to X86. Perhaps some tweaking will be required.

I would choose an amdgpu GPU over nouveau on most days for my use-case (office and sometimes a little gaming (0 A.D.)). This also is a personal opinion, but GNU/Linux support seems to be much better (at least for new-ish GPUs). Required blobs are an issue on both so *if* I had to choose...

calher

I am a member!

Is there a way to record my screen and voice at least, on my X200?

Ignacio Agulló
Iscritto: 07/30/2019

O 2023-02-09 23:02, escribiu:
> Is there a way to record my screen and voice at least, on my X200?

Yes. Try the tool RecordMyDesktop.

calher

I am a member!

Thanks.

PublicLewdness
Iscritto: 03/15/2020

"A Blackbird with a 4c CPU would be much cheaper than a Talos II if you don't need that many PCIe lanes, cores and sockets. *And* you'd support a small manufacturer of libre-friendly hardware (RaptorCS), even though you might find the price increases over the past two years more than ridiculous.

If it's not a matter of budget (Blackbird still more expensive than a D16 workstation) I'd *always* get the Blackbird. Just note that while most software works well, not everything will run as smooth on POWER compared to X86. Perhaps some tweaking will be required.

I would choose an amdgpu GPU over nouveau on most days for my use-case (office and sometimes a little gaming (0 A.D.)). This also is a personal opinion, but GNU/Linux support seems to be much better (at least for new-ish GPUs). Required blobs are an issue on both so *if* I had to choose..."

I would argue your response is one of the more moderate of the thread. I think the big issue is that for most people around these parts is that it's libre kernel or bust which makes AMD GPU's a non starter. Which is already a huge issue as anybody who needs more GPU horsepower than basic everyday usage is going to have to ditch the libre kernel to get it. I want a Power9 system whenever I can afford it and I know that to spend that kind of money and stick a GTX 780 Ti in it using Nouveau i'd feel like I just wasted thousands of dollars.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/15/2009

Maybe you can use vokoscreen to capture the video, then edit it.

megurineturilli
Iscritto: 01/10/2012

There are many screencapture programs, and many work on the X200. I remember simplescreenrecorder, byzanz and istanbul.

libreleah
Iscritto: 04/03/2017

Hi

OBS requires newer OpenGL version than 2.1 which is all your X200 supports.

You might this useful instead:

https://pagure.io/av-caster

It's a bit unmaintained, who knows if it'll work on modern distros (about 4 years out, at this time of writing). I've not tried it myself, but I was told about it when I raised the same issue on IRC, with use of OBS studio.

That, or you could run gstreamer some other way (avcaster uses gstreamer).

It should work nicely, for most things.