Pointing device and wifi failure on Thinkpad L540

7 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
anatom

I am a member!

Iscritto: 09/20/2012

Hello,

I just installed Trisquel 7.0 on my new Thinkpad L540 (T40, my faithful old mare, just broke its mainboard and had to be buried in peace). Now there are three issues I'm unhappy with, and the first two are the ones I wish to receive advice for:

First: The pointing device is not supported properly. It consists of a plate that can be tilted left- and rightwards to left- and right-click, but only left-click works, no matter where I press. Also, click with just a light touch anywhere doesn't work. Moving the pointer with the red button and also with finger movements on the sensitive plate works, as well as scrolling when moving two fingers across.

Second: The integrated wifi card is apparently not recognized. Where can I see whether it can be supported? I don't even now which wifi card it is. The order form says "ThinkPad Wireless 2 x 2 BGN with Bluetooth". How can I find out?

Third: BIOS is, of course not free. Alas, only after I had ordered I heard of Gluglug's perfectly free Thinkpad Notebooks, and I somehow would like to avoid the hassle of returning the newly bought book, especially after formatting the HDD.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Florian

lembas
Iscritto: 05/13/2010

Hi there!

#1 Check out these manual pagesman synapticsandman synclient

#2 This will list your (PCI) hardwarelspci

anatom

I am a member!

lembas: Thank you very much! I was able to properly configure my touch pad (-:

My wifi card, however, is unfortunately not free. It's a "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter". H-node reports these only as not-supported.

Thanks again.

lembas

Glad to hear you got the touchpad working.

There are some wifi adapters listed here https://fsf.org/ryf

anatom

I am a member!

hmm... there still is something about the touchpad: After reboot or after log out, the new settings are gone. How can I save them permanently and for all users? I just tried with a root shell but failed.

lembas

I don't know if there is some more elegant solution but I'd just add the command to set them to some script that gets autostarted. Perhaps /etc/rc.local (put them before the exit 0)

I guess the official way is to put them to xorg.conf.

anatom

I am a member!

Thanks, I edited the /etc/rc.local allright but had to add the command to run it in start-up applications (where also the notification manager is started).

Again, thanks!

lembas

Thank you for supporting free software!