Problem with Trisquel 4.5.1

8 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
ddavid123
Iscritto: 06/06/2011

I downloaded the latest 4.5.1 release iso of trisquel yesterday. I can boot the iso image in virtualbox just fine, but when I tried to boot the cd on bare hardware, I got the following error message. "stdin error init 5 /dev/sdc not found". What I surmise is init had a bug and rendered the system unable to load from the cdrom. I noticed this only after waiting and watching the boot splash screen for over 5 minutes with the flashing trisquel logo. I then pressed the escape button and found the above error message.

While in virtualbox, I booted the system and selected "check disk for errors" to check the iso file, and it checked fine! My hardware is 3-4 years old, and perhaps without the "blobs" the kernel could not initialize certain hardware? I don't know, but I really want to use trisquel because I am convinced that non-free software is a trap, and I don't want to be trapped by the "convenience factor"!

Thanks!

AndrewT

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 12/28/2009

I've tried searching for that error message, and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so maybe it is Trisquel-specific?

If you have a flash drive, could you try booting from that instead?

ddavid123

I do not have a flash drive that has the capacity enough for the OS. I had one a few years ago, a 8 gig drive, but alas it is missing!

Mampir
Iscritto: 12/16/2009

Try using the install options, not the "Try Trisqule" one. Try
installing with the NetInstall edition, either from USB or CD.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/27/2010

Shouldn't /dev/sdc be a harddrive? Maybe you should do chkdsk while in Windows and check for errors on it. Or maybe the hard drive was partitioned in some weird way that causes problems?

I once had an error message with Trisquel booting from a live-cd. It basically said, that the harddrive wasn't closed properly or something like that, I assume it was because of the non-standard shutdown Windows had before.

technicalpickle

I am a member!

Iscritto: 03/27/2011

Yes, the NetInstall is only 12 MB! Fits on probably any flash drive you have :)

ddavid123

I suppose the NetInstall would have fit, but I did not want to install just yet. I wanted to test trisquel out beforehand to see if all the hardware is detected properly. I booted the live-cd on my HP laptop and had no problems, except the wireless did not work! I bet it is a lack of some "Blobs"! I will have to buy a usb wireless stick that works with Linux-Libre!

We really need to raise some money and hire people to reverse engineer the proprietary bits and replace them for Linux-Libre. That is one reason I am a FSF associate member.

ddavid123

I tried to boot the live cd on my HP G-series laptop and it worked fine! It seems the problem is with my slightly old (2007) desktop computer.

akirashinigami

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 02/25/2010

Have you tried it again on your desktop? Perhaps it was just a one-time thing.