TP-LINK TL-WN725N

20 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Zorro
Iscritto: 04/30/2020

Hey guys I’m on Trisquel 8 64bit, trying to make this usb wifi dongle I just bought work: https://www.tp-link.com/it/home-networking/adapter/tl-wn725n/

It has linux drivers for download on that page.
Following the pdf guide on how to compile the drivers i use terminal to navigate to the driver directory and than
$ make clean
$ make
As the guide says, but it doesn’t generate the driver file..
The guide is even designed for ubuntu 16.04 LTS so it should work on Trisquel 8 without excuses.

Also googled other methods to install drivers and every solution tried so far failed.

EDIT: one solution half-worked, the dongle is on, i can see the wifi networks around me but they are all greyed out and impossible to connect to. https://askubuntu.com/questions/805168/tp-link-wn725n-driver-for-ubuntu-16-04-lts-running-kernel-4-4

Please help as I don’t have any other way to get wifi. Mobo connection to internal wireless card is damaged due to overheating, usb wifi is my only solution.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

It is probable that the Wifi chipset in this adapter requires proprietary firmware. 'lsusb', executed in terminal while the adapter is plugged in would report the chipset. Trissquel's krenels do not ship with proprietary firmware, contrary to Ubuntu's.

nadebula.1984
Iscritto: 05/01/2018

This is a Realtek 8188 (either revision of WN725N) card so it requires non-free firmware to be loaded.

However, what you tried to compile is not a "driver". It's just a "(non-free) firmware loader".

tonlee
Iscritto: 09/08/2014

if you want your hardware being able
to work on free software, you have
to investigate the hardware before
buying it. And realize that even if it is
said, that a piece of hardware is
supported by linux, does not assure it will
run on free software. Some linux software is
non free software. If you can, then return
the usb wifi adapter, you bought. Buy
an usb ar9271 wifi card.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Indeed. However, it is hard to know the chipset of the Wifi adapter you buy (manufacturers sometimes replace the Wifi chipset in a same model). One way is to buy second-hand from somebody who indicates that chipset. Another way is https://ryf.fsf.org/products?category=7

nadebula.1984

I'm strongly against purchasing from "Respects Your Freedom" vendors. They are vampires taking advantage of inexperienced users to make money, just like any proprietary software/hardware vendor.

For example, one minimalist libreboot X200 costs more than 400 USD, which is even more expensive than a top rank coreboot T440p which I built for a community friend (Quad core i7 4810MQ, 16 GiB memory, FHD 1080p IPS panel, and Atheros AR9462 M.2 WLAN card).

Masaru Suzuqi -under review-
Iscritto: 06/06/2018

money is time.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinéma_1_et_Cinéma_2

nadebula.1984

I sell coreboot X200 for about just 50 USD and still make a few earning. Even if "time is money" (or vice versa), why should someone spend 8 times more money for almost nothing?

tonlee

> taking advantage of inexperienced users to make money

Do you have the numbers? Can you provide
documentation showing the companies in question
are making improper profits?

I know about thinkpenguin, that the company
allocates earnings towards free software and
hardware projects. People should be able to decide
if they find the prices acceptable. I was. I have not
bought anything from the said companies. Because
I am to chintzy. But others might think
differently.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/07/2017

> For example, one minimalist libreboot X200 costs more than 400 USD, which is even more expensive than a top rank coreboot T440p which I built for a community friend

What would you say is a fair price for a librebooted X200? I paid 230 USD for one on eBay, which is more than the hardware is worth, but spared me the need to learn to externally flash libreboot/coreboot myself. I'm comfortable internally flashing an X60 or installing Replicant/LineageOS (Technoethical's Replicant phones are definitely overpriced given that Replicant can be installed with a few terminal commands), but I find external flashing intimidating.

> coreboot T440p

Does this run blobless?

> Replicant can be installed with a few terminal commands

Would you tell me the few commands? I have given up installing Replicant because it seemed not such easy.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Which Replicant-compatible device do you have?

I have a S9250...

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I don't see that [here][1]. Do you mean the I9250?

[1]: https://replicant.us/supported-devices.php

Yes, it is.

nadebula.1984

I have just asked one of coreboot contributors from my local community.

For platforms up to IvyBridge, the coreboot codes can be blobless, only a small portion of ME (non-functional) is required to avoid the 30-minute time bomb.

For Haswell, only certain CPU microcode is temporarily required for normal initialization. The majority part of coreboot codes can be blobless, too.

To sum up, using coreboot on platforms up to Haswell (normal voltage, without Boot Guard), the freedom issue is minimal.

Zorro
Iscritto: 04/30/2020

Hey guys thanks everyone for replying.
To answer to some of you:
The chip is the realtek 8188
I got this model because its the tiniest on the market and also very cheap.
For everyone who will encounter this thread:
The solution at the end of the thread in the link below makes the device KINDA work and I believe its a free driver as well.
Basically it works but just occasionally.. on some boots of the notebook it will connect, other times it will not, sometimes the speed will be 1 third of the routers speed, sometimes it will be just 1 tenth of the internet speed. (Most of the time it wont work)
Unless you somehow manage to install the proprietary linux drivers that you find on tplink website, forget using this device.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/805168/tp-link-wn725n-driver-for-ubuntu-16-04-lts-running-kernel-4-4

nadebula.1984

You confused "driver" with "firmware". Practically, most WLAN cards (Intel, Realtek, etc.) do have free/libre drivers. But they won't work without non-free firmware. The "driver" you tried to install is actually a firmware loader, so the "driver" may be free/libre, but the firmware is not.

If you can't replace the internal WLAN adapter for some reason (e.g. white-list restrictions in BIOS/UEFI), the solution should be purchasing an ath9k-htc USB wireless LAN adapter. One common chipset is AR9271. You can try to search AR9271 on eBay, for example.

Please keep in mind that the hardware revision number is very important. Those WLAN cards with the same commodity name but different revision numbers usually have very different chipsets.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The solution at the end of the thread in the link below makes the device KINDA work and I believe its a free driver as well.

rtl8188eufw.bin, in the GitHub repository, is a binary, as the extension tells. It is the proprietary firmware we were writing to you about. Suggesting the installation of proprietary software (firmware is software) is against the guidelines of the Trisquel community. In other terms, this community does not consider the instructions you got on Ask Ubuntu as a solution. Proprietary software is always a problem.

eliotime3000
Iscritto: 06/05/2016

Another option is get the first edition of the TP-LINK TL-WN722N (yeah, with the old logo), which haves the Atheros AR9271 firmware. I'm using it and Trisquel alongside Parabola works pretty well with it (Debian in their main branch doesn't include the ath9k_htc and ath9k firmware files).

tonlee

>Debian in their main branch doesn't include the ath9k_htc and ath9k firmware

In debian 10 main firmware-ath9k-htc
is present in the repository.

You have to edit file NetworkManager.conf.
Add
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

https://packages.debian.org/buster/firmware-ath9k-htc