Trisquel 10.0 feedback

99 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/15/2009

In the last few months we have been working intensively on Trisquel 10.0, and the results are visibly good thanks to users sharing their early experiences with nabia.

Therefore we request your support to have feedback regarding the current state of development of trisquel 10.0, you can get these ISO images at,

http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/nabia/

We have experimented some details with downloading iso images, and since they are preliminary images, torrent downloading may not be the best option to download, so maybe you could use lftp in case you find details while downloading,

sudo apt install lftp

lftp -c 'set net:idle 10
set net:max-retries 0
set net:reconnect-interval-base 3
set net:reconnect-interval-max 3
pget -n 10 -c "http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/nabia/triskel_10.0_amd64.iso"'

Where triskel can be any version you want to try.
Thanks in advance for your attention.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Iscritto: 09/19/2011

This coming from an install of Trisquel 10. The installation and first update ran smoothly, so, I installed linux-libre kernel #5.14. I tried to restart the system after installing the kernel (process went without errors), but the system just hung, instead of restarting. I had to power off, at which point, the system started normally. T10 feels great, so far, though I had to make 4 download attempts to get a working iso image.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Great to know you have one good install.

I'll bring up the server instability with Ruben next time I have a chance to chat with him.
About the kernel, Trisquel have 5.4 as default, while 5.8 and 5.11 are also available upstream the later one is still not available on nabia, maybe in the coming weeks, but so far 5.8 is pretty stable already.

@Dave please let us know how orca is working, if you have tried installing on using the latest version, and if there is something that needs attention please let us know

Cheers!

lanun
Iscritto: 04/01/2021

Orca is activated by default in my sessions. Of course it makes sense for Orca to be activated by default in the graphical installer, but I have already deactivated (unchecked) it in both the accessibility preferences and the startup application list. I configured F10 to deactivate it as a temporary shortcut. There is a related thread about a similar situation with Trisquel 9, with detailed instructions to uninstall Orca, but I guess users should be able to choose whether to activate it for their own session. The upside is: Orca works fine on my system.

The only other worry not already mentioned here has been with keyboard layouts: I have not been able to permanently change the layout from the keyboard setting panel. They get added to the list there and can be selected after logging out and back in, but the setting gets back to the default US English layout after rebooting or logging back in, except if it is removed from the list.

So it seems that some of the user preferences are not remembered over sessions (both Orca and the keyboard layout behave as expected until login).

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Disable orca using,
Meta + Alt + S

The behavior you mention in l10n, is that part of nabia 10?

Cheers

lanun

Yes, all this is happening in Nabia 10, on a 2011 eeepc.

I just got the same keyboard behavior on a desktop: if the US English layout is present in the list of available options, it is chosen by default at login.

EDIT: Orca also has the same behavior on both computers: it will keep starting after login even if the option is unchecked in all relevant places.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Please try disabling it using,
Meta + Alt + S

If after hearing the, "screen reader has been disabled".
It keeps launching on a new session/restart, we might have an issue.

About the keyboard selector, I'll add it on the ToDo list.
I don't have a clue on that xD

lanun

My bad, I was not clear enough: I used F10 instead of Meta + Alt + S for the sake of simplicity. Both work as expected for the current session, I do hear "screen reader has been disabled", but Orca just keeps starting after each login.

EDIT: Orca's Preferences dialog can be opened by running orca -s. There you can deactivate the speech synthesiser in the "Speech" tab and/or modify the shortcut to quit orca in the "Keyboard shortcut" tab.

andyprough
Iscritto: 02/12/2015

That's overly complicated don't you think? To kill an orca I usually just toss a whaling harpoon at it.

Or 'sudo apt purge orca*' if I forgot my whaling harpoon that day.

lanun

> That's overly complicated don't you think?

No, and it is shorter than your barbaric suggestion.

You can even get to that preference window without firing a single shot from the Terminal. But that's where things might become a bit trickier, so let's skip it.

paolo
Iscritto: 08/02/2017

hahahaha :DDD

Andy now my working day is enlightened :DDD

People excuseme for the OT :D

lanun

> People excuseme for the OT

Did you really think you could get away with this?

Laughing out loud in the main forum is absolutely *not* permitted, as per Rule #4 of the Code of Conduct. Punishment is firing squid. Whoever tricked you into this shall be punished as equally guilty.

anedroid
Iscritto: 09/29/2021

When will it be approximately a stable Trisquel Nabia release?

paolo

Hello @Ark74,

I have installed Trisquel 10 mini in a netbook eeepc 1001px and all
work well except the "software update" from the menu: when I launch this program nothing happen.
To update the system I use the termibal and update/upgrade work well (also with bacpkorts enabled)
I have also installed sugacre from the packages manager to play with my daughter (5 years old) and all work very well.

I confirm the difficult to download the various .iso image

Thanks to Ruben and all the team for their work

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

I have also installed sugacre from the packages manager to play with my daughter (5 years old)

My son will soon be 4. I cannot find "sugacre". A typo maybe?

paolo

Hi, I can't control now un the package manager.
You need to look for the word "sugar" in the search field,and you find
a metapackage called sugacre (if I remember well, sorry) to use to install the
Toast Sugar gui.
You disconnect from your gui in trisquel and choice "Sugar" as gui and you need
to configure (age and school level) for your children.
I can help you in 3 or 4 hours when I come back home
Excuseme my bad english

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

Thank you but it is not necessary. I thought you were talking about a specific game for young kids (by the way, do you know GCompris?) and not about a whole desktop environment.

paolo

Ops ... I read only now this message.
Gcompris in nice but my daughter like Sugar too much because
there are many more activities

paolo

Excuseme Magic Banana, my mistake.
The name of the metapackage you need is Sucrose.
Please excuse my error

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I'll check the updates behavior, indeed something is failing there.

There is trisquel-sugar as a complete environment, glad it worked out good for you too.

Thanks for the report.

loldier
Iscritto: 02/17/2016

I can't control screen brightness levels on my Thinkpad A285 (Ryzen 5 Pro 2500U, Vega 8).

Resolution is good (1366x768). Function keys, as it were, seem to work and the slider is displayed -- to no avail. Nothing happens as a result. The command line doesn't help either. The brightness stays put.

On Ubuntu 20.04 the screen brighness level is adjustable. The screen is dimmed accordingly (keys F5-F6).

Backlight folders are different between the systems:

/sys/class/backlight/amdgpu_bl0 (Ubuntu 20.04)
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 (Trisquel 10)

amdgpu_vega8.png t10_acpi_video0.png ubuntu_2004_amdgpu_bl0.png
Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I'm afraid this is related to the AMD video card driver, as AFAIK there is no free firmware to use such driver, so the unresponsive manipulation could be related as it seems to pull info from the videocard driver, my specific machine has 2 videocards,

lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon HD 6630M/6650M/6750M/7670M/7690M]

But the backlight only list one,

ll /sys/class/backlight
acpi_video0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/backlight/acpi_video0/
acpi_video1 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/backlight/acpi_video1/
intel_backlight -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-LVDS-1/intel_backlight/

Normally I would suggest to test using linux-libre jxself repo to make sure it's not related to an old kernel version, but on a LiveISO system that would not be possible and more importantly, if the issue is linked with the driver firmware is a possibility this can't be fixed.

Thanks for the report.

loldier

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-10-update-manager

For convenience, this should be linked here as it pertains to "feedback".

--Trisquel Menu System --> Administration --> Software Updater-- it doesn't work.

It won't start at all.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Indeed, we'll take a look.

loldier

It works now, after the latest update. The Software Updater GUI starts and updates the system as expected.

Thanks! Looking forward to the stable release.

update_manager_nabia.png
diopon
Iscritto: 10/15/2018

Hello,

thank you for Trisquel 10! I'm using the xfce desktop environment and I tried to install the xfce4-sensors-plugin packet. There is a dependency to the packet called libxnvctrl0 but it is not in the repository.

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
xfce4-sensors-plugin : Hängt ab von: libxnvctrl0 ist aber nicht installierbar
Empfiehlt: hddtemp soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

libxnvctrl0 comes from the package "nvidia-settings" for that reason it's not there.

We need to remove that dependency, thanks for the report.

paolo

I have find 2 problems now in trisquel mini 10:
- the ibus daemon can't start and adding the 3 lines to the file home/bashrc can't help
- the netbook halt in more than 1 minutes and half

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Could you share more details on,
- what 3 lines are you referring to?
- it is possible to see the terminal on the shutdown process, do you see some process waiting on something?

Cheers.

paolo

Hi Ark the 3 lines I am referring appear in the second popup window when you open the Ibus setup, if the ibus daemon don't start you need to add these 3 lines to the file /home/bashrc.
Inbthe shutdown process I see there is one or two process pending, I can check tomorrow at home

paolo

hello @Ark74: when I open the Ibus preference open a popup saying "the Ibus demon is not starting, do you want to launch now?", when I press yes the next popup window say to add 3 lines to the file bash.rc if Ibus isn't working.

These are the 3 lines:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus“

When I press Ok the Ibus preference window is opening,the Ibus indicator appear in the lxde panel and is possible to use Ibus only if this windows is open.
If I close the window Ibus stop working.
To use Ibus I have only installed the package ibus-libpinyin from synaptic because we need to write in simplified chinese, the other language is italian.
I am using Trisquel 10 Mini

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

@paolo please remove those lines from .bashrc

Just go to Preferences > Language Support and set ibus as Input Method.

Check on the gif below.

That said, we need to fix the background, as it still uses etiona's.
Cheers!

trisquel-mini-ibus.gif
paolo

many thanks @Ark74 , I try when I come back home this evening

paolo

@Ark74 谢谢 :D
Many thanks, now Ibus work perfectly

Edit: now the only problem remained is the long time to shutdown.
I don't know how to resolve

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Apply the updates and reboot.
I mentioned on another post.

Cheers.

paolo

@Ark74 the shutdown on my netbook is long because there is one process waiting for something

paolo_shutdown (1).jpg
Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

trisquel-mini, right?
Is this the one with sugar too?

paolo

>trisquel-mini, right?
Is this the one with sugar too?

Yes, It' me :)
I have installed Sugar from synaptic, it is not a dual boot

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Fixed on pcmanfm_1.3.1-1+10.0trisquel1 soon available on the repositories.

paolo

>Fixed on pcmanfm_1.3.1-1+10.0trisquel1 soon available on the repositories.

Hi @Ark74 now I understand this message, after yesterday's evening update of pcmanfm and some other packages now shutdown is fast. Thanks to you and all the Trisquel team

(now here is 6.52 in the morning)

rakubx

I am a member!

Iscritto: 09/21/2010

Hello all,

There is a problem (probably on server side) to download fresh images: https://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/nabia/
Thanks a lot.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

You might want to use lftp (details on the first post) or torrent to get a copy as the server is presenting some issues using normal download methods.

Chepe
Iscritto: 06/24/2011

No problems on updating my my computer. Wifi/Graphics work good, Battery,and sound card. Take a look of this screenshot Cheers!

Screenshot at 2021-11-06 21-47-28.png
Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Iscritto: 09/19/2011

Orca shouldn't be starting, automatically, for anyone. I need to manually start it when loading the live cd, and on first run after installation.

anedroid
Iscritto: 09/29/2021

When will it be approximately a stable Trisquel Nabia release?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Depends on the what the feedback discovers.
The current policy AFAIK is, when ready.

lanun

Both desktop and laptop fresh installs of Trisquel 10.0 are totally stable here.

A note about Orca: as I had been suspecting, Orca behaves as expected on a live session: it is off by default and launches on demand only.

For unclear reasons, I launched the graphical installer direcly from the live menu instead of starting a live session and launch the install from the desktop, as I would usually do. On both systems (laptop and desktop) Orca ended up activated by default after login.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Returing to orca, is this still an issue after disable with
Ctrl + Alt + S

As it also edits the preferences of running accessibility (screen reader) at start.
My main installation was from an upgrade from etiona to nabia, it's working fine, I'll try following what you describe a clean install using the live menu (not desktop), but it should not start after disabling.

Cheers.

lanun

Thanks.

Yes, the problem only appeared on the two systems I installed directly from the live menu.

I just installed Trisquel 10.0 again alongside one of the existing systems, but from the live session desktop this time, and orca behaves as expected. On the first two systems, deactivating through any mean (killing the process or keyboard shortcut) only affects the current session.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Ok, I can confirm that orca seems somewhat hard-coded to start while following that path of installation lanun mentioned, I'll be glad to hear someone else confirming.

@lanun: About the keyboard change, TIL that you need to use ibus to manage the keyboard change.

I guess is a bit confusing for someone unaware of ibus existence/use (like myself prior this week) as the logic path to follow is to go to System > Preferences > Hardware > Keyboard and add another keyboard distribution, trying to change it from the notification area.
Not an expert on l10n, but seems that approach is now obsolete with the use of ibus (default input method[IM] on trisquel).

Now with ibus, from the Control Panel > IBus Preferences or System > Preferences > Other > IBus preferences you go to the second tab (input method) and from there you add any keyboard layout you need.

Then with,
Meta + Space bar
you can change your layout selection and it will remain on session close/reboot.

Please, let me know if this solves the issue with keyboard selection mentioned on earlier posts.

Cheers!

lanun

Thanks! Yes, using ibus solved the issue: the keyboard layout selection is now retained between sessions.