Trisquel 8 on a Samsung m2 SSD 850 EVO (120GB)?

7 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Onsemeliot
Iscritto: 09/09/2011

I have the problem that the installer can't create the GRUB MBR record on a Cirrus7 Computer:

https://www.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-nimbus/overview

Probably because the Samsung m2 850 EVO SSD with 120 GB capacity needs a GPT partition. But neither the graphical nor the text based installer do give me an option to do anything else than writing a GRUP menu into the MBR, which doesn't seem to work here.

However, avoiding to use the SSD I could successfully install Trisquel on the additional 500 GB HDD but unfortunately it is not recognised in the bios. I suspect this is the reason why I can only boot this installation without any further problems if I use some handwritten GRUB commands.

I don't actually want to use the HDD installation since the better choice for the system would be the faster SSD. So only if there is absolutely no other way to use the system with Trisquel I would go for the HDD installation.

So my two questions are:

1) Is there a way to create a proper boot menu for the SDD installation? (Everything other than the creation of the GRUB menu went well, if I can trust the installer.)

2) If the first option fails: How can I get a proper boot menu for the HDD? (I can't expect the user to run several boot commands in order to get the system up and running.)

gd_scania
Iscritto: 09/13/2017

I was done this using gdisk command, just typing option "o" to make a fresh GPT then make your own partitions and that's all, but this needs your personal data to be backed up to an USB SSD.

Onsemeliot

I'm not sure if I get it: You recommend using a command like "gdisk -o /dev/sdb" on the GRUB command line before I attempt a normal installation with my usb stick? (There is no personal data since it is a new system which wasn't in use yet.)

gd_scania

First of all to make a backup for your personal data (if present, ignore this that your situation doesn't have personal data) from your old MBR scheme. :)
sudo gdisk /dev/sda
o # Fresh GPT scheme
n # New partitions, with 1 GiB (+1G) of ESP, EFI sys partition,
# +16G of each ext4 to install Parabola and Trisquel for many times on demand,
# plenties of +16G ext4 partitions are best
# Finally reserve for an +128G ext3 for your own personal data, compatible with TrueOS and possibly other BSDs :)
p # Preview your partitions
s # Sort your partitions to get yourself ordered
w > y # Proceed with your new GPT scheme :)

You are here well done, you are now free to install Parabola and Trisquel. :D 8)

Onsemeliot

Unfortunately after many attempts I could only replace Trisquel with Debian (which worked instantly) since the Trisquel installer did not work with this disk in legacy mode at all and despite about one full week of trying out different things I was unable to create a boot menu entry for the otherwise successful UEFI installation. I guess I just have a unlucky assembly of hardware. :(

This is really a shame since the Trisquel 8 live system (even on this hardware) feels very good and promising.

gd_scania

Try this example GPT scheme :) ,
1 28GiB a503 GNU+Hurd UFS
2 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
3 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
4 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
5 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
6 1GiB ef00 EFI ESP t=vfat
7 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
8 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
9 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
10 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
11 8GiB 8200 linux-swap
12 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
13 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
14 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
15 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
16 8GiB 8200 linux-swap
17 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
18 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
19 16GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext4
20 28GiB a503 GNU+Hurd UFS
21 8GiB a502 FreeBSD-swap
22 128GiB 8300 GNU+Linux-libre data t=ext3

Onsemeliot

Sorry, I don't get the meaning of your list. Is this something I could define if I would use manual partitioning instead of the guided partitioning?

gd_scania

Yes that's obviously manual partitioning, then no people are sure what a guided partitioning is doing for you. Instead a guided partitioning is often to usually prone to break your ordered manual partition table, data loss should almost always occur, that you also don't know what you're doing.