Trying to install the drivers for Netis WF-2109 wifi adapter and don't know how to use Terminal

2 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
jadopadobhimbhadako
Iscritto: 08/23/2014

Hi,
I'm trying to install the driver for a wireless adapter. The first part is to make an 8192C USB Linux driver. The steps are:

1) uncompress the "blahblahblah.tar.gz" file in the driver directory
>tar zxvf blahblahblah.tar.gz
I think this gave me a file. I went inside that file.
2)make 8192C USB driver module
>make

I tried this but it doesn't recognize make as a command. What am I doing wrong?

3)clean operation environment
>./clean
4)insert 8192C USB modules
>insmod 8192cu.ko
5)enable wlan0 interface
>inconfig wlan0 up
6)setup IP address
>ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.100

Is there anything I need to know about the other steps? I'm assuming that I replace the IP address they listed with my own.

Thanks for your help.

jxself
Iscritto: 09/13/2010

Try installing the build-essentials package first so that you can have access to things like make.

Chris

I am a member!

Iscritto: 04/23/2011

Just to give you a heads up that driver has non-free firmware embedded in it. As many people here are aware the fact the code is under a free software license (like the GNU GPL v2) doesn't in itself make the whole of it completely free if there is critical non-free binary code embedded in it. There is no source available for the binary code which is what makes it non-free. While you could install it you'd be losing the primary benefit of running Trisquel. The best way to get support for the latest hardware is usually to install the linux-libre kernel from jxself.org/linux-libre. Jason (jxself) here is the maintainer of the repository and I can attest to the fact he does an excellent job maintaining it (and responding to issues with it!).

Rubén (quidam) also has added a slightly newer kernel to the 6.01 repository (3.5 if I recall correctly) if you prefer to stick with an official Trisquel release.

In either event both kernels are free software, and without the non-free bits.

Here is the list of the USB G and USB N chipsets that are free software friendly (usually):

RTL8187B (generally great, not aware of any you can go wrong with),
RTL8187L, RTL8187 (I have seen reports of problems, but I think they should generally OK too)
AR9170 (not reccomended any more, and not really available anymore anyway)
AR9270 (excelent, although there are some poor choice non-free adapters too)
AR7010+AR9280 (excelent, at least in some instances, not true of all instances)

However there are a few USB dongles with AR7010+AR9280 and the AR9271 which are not free software friendly for one reason or another. One of the adapters I know doesn't work (weird design, and it needs a proprietary driver/firmware component, and it doesn't matter which distribution you have it won't work) and at least one more others which have non-free drivers included.

Check the FSF list next time you are looking at hardware:

http://fsf.org/ryf

* Note: I'm the CEO of ThinkPenguin, inc. which focuses on free software in its intersection with hardware.