Writing my ‘common distros’ for us in 2018

29 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
gd_scania
Iscritto: 09/13/2017

https://wiki.parabola.nu/User:Hd_scania#My_editions_in_2018_for_.E2.80.98common_distros.E2.80.99
Any points to clarify more or ready as a candidate to refresh as our ‘common distros’ this year?

onpon4
Iscritto: 05/30/2012

I think the FSF can maintain that list just fine as-is. They would never use this modification. Just a few problems:

You're using the word "edition" wrongly.

Debian doesn't use Linux-libre.

There is no such thing as "Linux-nonfree".

"An" is only used when the following word begins with a vowel. "An libre" and "an no-systemd" are incorrect usages.

"Dsnt" is not a word. I thought it was a typo at first, but you did it twice. The word is "doesn't".

"block contrib or nonfree against mirrors" makes no sense. I don't even know what you mean by that.

You don't understand what Debian's "contrib" section is for. It's for any otherwise libre program that depends on something from "non-free".

"clueless against freedom" makes no sense.

Ubuntu does not have any backdoors.

The Ubuntu Amazon ads are old news and no longer occurring.

GNU DFSG does not call for any kind of censorship.

"integrates nonfree against libre" makes no sense.

"the most of most games" is ungrammatical.

"Every" is used singularly, not plurally.

Arch's problems have nothing to do with its package manager, pacman.

ReactOS can run libre programs just fine. The problem is it promotes the use of proprietary software.

calher

I am a member!

Iscritto: 06/19/2015

onpon4 wrote:
> "An" is only used when the following word begins with a vowel.

I think this needs clarification. "An" is used before vowel SOUNDS, not
necessarily the letters themselves. The word "uniform" starts with a
vowel, but we actually say "a uniform". See also: "It's a Unix system,
I know this!" .

gd_scania

Yes "an" follows sounds of vowels but doesn't follow letters, so we say "an hour" and "an honour".

onpon4

I'm aware of this; I just didn't explain it properly. Both usages I was referring to should have been "a", not "an". "hour" and "honor" both start with vowel sounds.

gd_scania

But also "every" and plurals are NOT exclusive, yet should be mostly tied with your needed quantities as more clear, should calher or onpon have noted this?

gd_scania

(1) If there are things "(being) made of nonsense" or "not (being) made of sense", then I am sadly unsure which prepositions are proper.
(2) I clearly understand what are problematic in the Debian's "contrib" pools, but you should be unclear what my "nonfree integrations" are, and yes this of course includes the nonfree deps which we all dislike them.
(3) "pacman" actually stands for Arch itself and its all nonfree forks, but should look too implicit, and yes I'd like to replace "Arch and all nonfree forks" instead of "pacman", their package manager.
(4) Ubuntu's Amazon backdoors are sure to be old news and are no longer triggered, but no people are sure if Ubuntu no longer uses any other backdoors.
(5) "Linux-nonfree" is just to emphasize the nonfree Linux kernel is nonfree.
(6) DFSG surely doesn't censor but isn't mentioned in my preview docs.
Any minor mistakes thanks feeding back to me.

onpon4

> If there are things "(being) made of nonsense" or "not (being) made of sense", then I am sadly unsure which prepositions are proper.

I don't have time to tell you how to write properly. You need to find a tutor who is fluent in both Cantonese (your native language) and English. I'm only trying to make you see how bad your English is and how much you're misunderstanding because of it.

> I clearly understand what are problematic in the Debian's "contrib" pools, but you should be unclear what my "nonfree integrations" are, and yes this of course includes the nonfree deps which we all dislike them.

I'm not convinced you understand, because it's a simple issue that you are making sound complex.

> "pacman" actually stands for Arch itself and its all nonfree forks

That's not something you're supposed to do. Only Arch users know what pacman is. It's not even named after Arch; it's named based on the fact that it's a package manager.

> Ubuntu's Amazon backdoors are sure to be old news and are no longer triggered, but no people are sure if Ubuntu no longer uses any other backdoors.

Everything in this sentence is wrong. You don't understand what a backdoor is, don't understand what it means to "trigger" malware, and don't understand the libre software defense against malware.

> "Linux-nonfree" is just to emphasize the nonfree Linux kernel is nonfree.

It improperly suggests that Linux is generally speaking nonfree. It is not. What you are actually talking about is mainline Linux.

> DFSG surely doesn't censor but isn't mentioned in my preview docs.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant GNU FSDG. But the presence of the word "GNU" (which is highly disjointed; DFSG has nothing whatsoever to do with GNU) should have alerted you to the fact that it was a typo.

> Any minor mistakes thanks feeding back to me.

No, these are not minor mistakes. These are major mistakes, which are causing what you are writing to be confusing and causing you yourself to misunderstand the issues. You need a lot of English tutoring.

gd_scania

I am anyway failed and nowhere to restart the English tutoring, which in my place the educational systems are failed to commit the educational basics, that's never my own fault if my English skills are bad, instead those bad educational systems are liable to this.
I don't have time to tell you how to write properly. You need to find a tutor who is fluent in both Cantonese (your native language) and English. I'm only trying to make you see how bad your English is and how much you're misunderstanding because of it.
No, these are not minor mistakes. These are major mistakes, which are causing what you are writing to be confusing and causing you yourself to misunderstand the issues. You need a lot of English tutoring.

I of course understand what backdoors and malware are, but sadly dunno to properly express what they are. If even I dnt understand what they are I just won't be here and I'm still using nonfree software a lot.
Everything in this sentence is wrong. You don't understand what a backdoor is, don't understand what it means to "trigger" malware, and don't understand the libre software defense against malware.
Now corrected to Arch and any nonfree systems using pacman, the Arch package manager.
That's not something you're supposed to do. Only Arch users know what pacman is. It's not even named after Arch; it's named based on the fact that it's a package manager.

onpon4

> that's never my own fault if my English skills are bad, instead those bad educational systems are liable to this.

How is your activism in Cantonese going?

gd_scania

I need to clarity out, do you stand for my free software activisms written in Hong Kong Chinese? Yes if we need I would like to have my free software seminars or summits spoken in Hong Kong Chinese.

onpon4

Whatever languages you're fluent in. All I know for sure is that English is not one of them.

calher

I am a member!

On Fri, 2018-01-05 at 23:58 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> I am anyway unable to be restart the English tutoring, which in my place the
> educational systems are failed to commit the educational basics, that's never
> my own fault if my English skills are bad, instead those bad educational
> systems are liable to this.

Chu vi parolas Esperanton? https://esperanto.china.org.cn/

quantumgravity
Iscritto: 04/22/2013

"I'm only trying to make you see how bad your English is and how much you're misunderstanding because of it."

Seriously, you're trying to be helpful but the way you communicate is just rude and doesn't help at all. Keep in mind that you're talking to a human who might have invested quite some time and effort into learning this language.
I'm pretty sure if I met people like you when I was younger and tried to pick something up, I would have just quitted a hundred times feeling quited miserable and stupid, though it turned out that I could achieve my goal with ease.
When learning (and teaching) something, psychology is a key concept to keep in mind. Giving too negative feedback can build up a barrier and prevent potential resources from being accessed.

onpon4

I'm talking to someone who is (or at least was) convinced that his English is great. Someone who believes they have great proficiency already is never going to get better.

Also, learning English is not easy. Not only is the entire way English grammar works mostly alien to Asian languages (considering they developed separately in isolation from each other for thousands of years), English also inherits a whole lot of random stuff from Latin-based languages, which is yet another branch.

I don't agree that negative feedback is detrimental to a really difficult learning experience like this, and one major reason is my own personal experience learning Japanese. When you underestimate the difficulty of a language so much that you think you've almost mastered it, you never fix your glaring inadequacies. My Japanese was atrocious last year. It was only when someone had the guts to show me just how atrocious it was that I started to get better.

I also don't think it is necessary for everyone to know English to be an asset to the libre software movement, or any other cause. If he chooses to abandon the English language entirely and focus on his own native language, that's much better than wasting his and others' time using broken English. This is a global movement and needs speakers from all languages.

gd_scania

Not always ‘random’, if British English and USA English wordings aren’t the same, British ones are certain come from French but USA ones are certain from Spanish. Yet this difference is not too wide-ranged overall.
English also inherits a whole lot of random stuff from Latin-based languages, which is yet another branch.

onpon4

No, that's not true. British English and American English are the same language. The spelling differences have nothing to do whatsoever with other languages. They were caused by spelling standard differences a couple hundred years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

calher

I am a member!

But word choice can change based on the surrounding languages.

Canadians use more French loanwords that US people are less likely to
know.

Europeans know less often what garbanzo beans and cilantro are.

South Africans probably use some Zulu and Xhosa words that we don't
know.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey

loldier
Iscritto: 02/17/2016

...learning English is not easy. Not only is the entire way English grammar works mostly alien to Asian languages.

I'm not sure about that. English is difficult mainly because of its historic orthography, irregular words and vast vocabulary, with a myriad of idioms which are hard to master even for native speakers. I think that some uneducated Americans could be called half-illiterate or semiliterate.

The basic syntax is not much different from, say, Chinese. Word order is mainly the same subject, verb, object; very little declension (mostly plural) or conjugation (mostly tense).

There are many other languages that are harder to tackle or get to grips with at first, but easier to master later, like Russian or German. These languages have had more coherence and less variety due to them being languages of nation states or because of a concerted effort to shape the language to fit a set of rules shared by their speakers.

calher

I am a member!

On Sun, 2018-01-07 at 12:35 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> ...learning English is not easy. Not only is the entire way English grammar
> works mostly alien to Asian languages
>
> I'm not sure about that. English is not easy mainly because of its historic
> ortography and vast vocabulary,

Shouldn't be any worse than Japanese orthography.

Some of English spelling makes sense and you can read it as-is, and some
of it doesn't and you have to just memorize it.

Some of Japanese spelling (kana syllabary) makes sense and you can read
it as-is, and some of it (Chinese characters) doesn't and you have to
just memorize it.

gd_scania

For the psychology stuffs I’m quite intersted in MBTI, OCEAN, Holland Codes, parenting, finally opposite sex.
Seriously, you're trying to be helpful but the way you communicate is just rude and doesn't help at all.
And yes he is quite harsh to me, which I’m not liable to my less advanced English skills, but the educational systems in my place are.
And if I’m such ‘weak in’ English I just won’t have thrown Google translate or the similar nonfree and low-skilled translations.
When I was a teen I was mostly used to be tutored based on the Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries, both web interface and physical ones.
Therefore back to this link, https://wiki.parabola.nu/User:Hd_scania#My_editions_in_2018_for_.E2.80.98common_distros.E2.80.99
and grossly we only need to fine tune if there are still delicate syntax errors.

onpon4

> When I was a teen I was mostly used to be tutored based on the Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries, both web interface and physical ones.

A dictionary cannot tutor you. Dictionaries are tools. Tutors are people who teach you. These are not interchangeable.

gd_scania

You look confused that, I actually stand for the Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries to be the tools used by my English teachers. In fact that you are unclear to what I'm saying is due to my few opportunities to write online or speak with the English-spoken tourists before high school. When I was at college the teachers dntv time to tutor in very many details.

onpon4

So, you're just saying that's where your vocabulary comes from? That's immaterial. All dictionaries contain roughly the same entries, the only difference is spelling and a few new or uncommon words. The point is that you need more tutoring. You're not even close to done learning English.

You can't just make up your own contractions. "dntv" is not a contraction used by anybody. The words you're looking for are "didn't have".

gd_scania

Just no longer tell me I need more English tutoring which I’m still nowhere to be tutored more unless the unreasonable education systems in my place was already over, and they don’t treat educations to be serious and they’re always needed to be overloaded under the heavy exam practices.

onpon4

If you're not interested in learning English properly, then don't do activist work that requires skills in English. There is plenty of good you can do with Cantonese, like just spreading the basic idea of libre software through Cantonese. Or you could take up programming; no one cares how good a programmer's English is. That's only a couple of the many, many possible things you could do.

gd_scania

https://wiki.parabola.nu/User_talk:Hd_scania, https://t.me/qterminal, https://t.me/fdroid_gnu, feel free to chat with me in Telegram messenger and in my Parabola wiki homepage for furthermore discussions. :)

gd_scania

Since that is my own user page there then I need to begin a topic for you and just to sign up there to see you there. :)

calher

I am a member!

On Sat, 2018-01-06 at 14:10 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> Keep in mind that you're talking to a human who
> might have invested quite some time and effort into learning this language.
> I'm pretty sure if I met people like you when I was younger and tried to pick
> something up, I would have just quitted a hundred times feeling quited
> miserable and stupid, though it turned out that I could achieve my goal with
> ease.

This is probably why I have completely given up on learning Russian.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey

gd_scania

These are NOT MAJOR OR MINOR mistakes, but instead delicate ones, i.e. slight but critical ones.
onpon5: No, these are not minor mistakes. These are major mistakes, which are causing what you are writing to be confusing and causing you yourself to misunderstand the issues.Any minor mistakes thanks feeding back to me.