Gedit Inaccessibility in Trisquel 7.0, using included Orca 3.12?

4 replies [Last post]
Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

In the Trisquel 7.0 pre-release build, dated June 14, I cannot use gedit with the included orca screen reader.

If I open a preexisting file, and make no changes, I can read, using the cursor keys and orca. If I insert characters, orca will no longer speak, until I switch to another application's window, and back. Sometimes, this happens when removing characters, as well. I have tested this both in virtual machine installations, and on "bare metal", and on two different machines; same behavior. I installed the mousepad editor, from the xfce group, and did not see this-- I could read with no difficulty, adding, removing, selecting text, as I should be able to do in gedit. Until a fix is found, my suggestion would have to be to use libreoffice writer or install mousepad for working with text files, in a gui application. Normally, I use nano, in the terminal, especially for texts that must not get formatted by the editor. Is anyone else testing the pre-releases woth orca?

megurineturilli

I also tried the latest prerelease and I found that orca starts at the login prompt. As a sighted user I don't need orca, so I first uninstalled orca, I found no way to prevent orca from automatic starting. But sometimes I want do accessibility testing by switching the screen off.

Currently I work at the Center for blind and visually impaired students where my Job is to improve eSpeak to produce a more natural sound. I'm the only person there who uses Trisquel, some use Debian, and many others still use Windows.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Thank you for your continuing work on espeak voices! I like it the way it is, but have heard that, especially with languages other than English, it can be difficult to understand. You can keep orca in your system, and just disable it for the login screen. I believe there is an 'accessibility' menu in the gdm greeter, where you can turn off the screen reader. That way, you can toggle orca for those times when you want it for app testing. In the up-coming Trisquel 7, the login greeter does not talk, so, you should have no problem. Also, in 7, you can toggle the screen reader, on the fly, with 'alt+super+s'. This shortcut began appearing in GNOME 3.8, I think.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

I filed an up-stream bug on this one in the GNOME bugzilla, against orca 3.12. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731883

megurineturilli

Some time ago I read that a visually impaired person who is interested in Anime and Japanese Music had installed a Japanese speech syntheses engine called OpenJTalk. I did the same thing with NVDA, but I don't know how to install a different speech engine on GNU/Linux. In this case NVDA automatically falls back to eSpeak if latin script is used. So anyone who understands spoken Japanese could read a Japanese website.

I recently tried the latest iso, and orca did not start automatically.