Guix on Trisquel

42 replies [Last post]
calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

I've decided to use Trisquel the way ADFENO does, by installing most things from Guix and only going to the repos as a last resort.

But, I've run into a few questions. I wrote about them on the Guix mailing list.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00039.html

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

This post got me to look at Guix again, which has far more packages than the last time I checked, pretty much everything I need. I might switch back to Trisquel from Parabola and do the same thing you're doing.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015
strypey
Offline
Joined: 05/14/2015

Does anyone know if Adfeno uses Guix on Trisquel 7 or on the 8 alpha? Is there a good article/ blog piece that introduces us mere mortals to what Guix is, what makes it different from other package managers, and how to use it to best effect on a desktop system?

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

I use it in Trisquel 7. ;)

Regarding the issue of actually building GNU Ring using the Guix recipe,
I'm currently trying to fix it.

For more information on what must be done in order to make the work
easier, see the package recipe itself. It has some TODO comments that
show the technical/maintainance challenges remaining --- besides of
course having the recipes accepted by Guix project (which isn't a
challenge, because they are very friendly).

As a plus, if one wants to, you can drop by the #guix IRC channel, and
tell them that you want a non-programmer guide on how to make recipes
for Guix, and if someone has time to, they'll teach you the basics of
both GNU Guix and Scheme. Also, both I and Quiliro "quiliro" Ordóñez
went through the basic steps suggested by #guix.

Last, there is also https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/ (to see/read the
book, click on the "Full text!" link), which as far as I know serves to
teach basics of programming to everyone, as a plus teaching it in
Scheme.

name at domain writes:

> Does anyone know if Adfeno uses Guix on Trisquel 7 or on the 8 alpha?
>

strypey
Offline
Joined: 05/14/2015

"I use [Guix] in Trisquel 7"

How did you install it? I searched for Guix in both Add/ Remove Applications and Synaptic. No results.

Also this ...
https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

... is not really what I need. I need a "for dummies" intro, 1-2 pages of text answering these questions; what is a "Guix" and what's it good for? Explain like I'm 5.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017
strypey
Offline
Joined: 05/14/2015

I still dont understand *what* Guix is, or *why* I would want to use it. Until I understand these things, I have no motivation to struggle my way through technical manuals. Please. Explain. Like. I'm. 5.

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 03/15/2015

@Strypey

This thread (link below) is very good, Doolio, Adfeno, made some interesting comments on Guix, (with the Uruk* script the install is cared for by the script).

Basically it's a package manager with much more recent Libre software repositaries, this does not prevent you from keeping APT (ie Synaptic, Aptitude & Trisquel repositaries in the same way some KDE users like to run Muon on their systems).

The Guix packages are based on a rolling release model so they should always have the latest version available for the packages they currently provide. Their list of packages is still small compared to those available in the Trisquel repositories but it is growing all the time. The other advantage is you can be confident they only provide free software packages and is a much better option that some random ppa.

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/how-install-gcc-63-trisquel-7#comment-110441

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

GNU Guix is a package manager. Different from most package managers it
tries to provide ways for you to revert package upgrades, so if
something goes wrong you can revert to older generations/versions of
your "profile" ("profile" here is: a set of installed
packages). Besides, it tries to make things "reproducible" ([1]).

There are other things it does or attempts to provide, but this is
indeed the most basic I can explain for now.

[1] I don't know if this is the real meaning of "reproducible build",
but in the case of GNU Guix, I see it is as follows: GNU Guix tries to
make things so that they will have little interference from programs or
files outside what GNU Guix expects to have. A quick example would be:
if A has an conflicts with B version 1, does some special step in case B
v2 is found, and continues normally when finding B v3; then in GNU Guix,
program A would be made in a way such that only one of those is always
true, no matter the version of B that you installed. This is also needed
in order for errors to be more easy to test for repetitions.

name at domain writes:

> I still dont understand *what* Guix is, or *why* I would want to use
> it. Until I understand these things, I have no motivation to struggle
> my way through technical manuals. Please. Explain. Like. I'm. 5.

strypey
Offline
Joined: 05/14/2015

Thanks Adfendo, this was the kind of 'Guix for dummies' explanation I was looking for ;) I will have a read of these links.

quantumgravity
Offline
Joined: 04/22/2013

I think there is nothing "dummy" about the need for a short and comprehensible explanation.
I also was wondering about what exactly guix is, just like you, and I'm also glad about adfenos answer.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

Thank you very much! :)

I also don't see any problems on giving short introductions. It's just
when it gets too detailed or specific to some software or project that
it starts to become off-topic.

name at domain writes:

> I think there is nothing "dummy" about the need for a short and
> comprehensible explanation.
> I also was wondering about what exactly guix is, just like you, and
> I'm also glad about adfenos answer.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

I installed it by following [1].

I confess that the recommendation I made about the SICP book was a
little too much --- and I'm very sorry for forcing that ---, searching
with more time, I found [2], which so far is very good, specially
for non-programmers (and it is also accepting contributions).

There is also [3], which is a quick and good one too. :)

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

[2] http://dustycloud.org/misc/guile-tutorial.html

[3] http://web-artanis.com/scheme.html

name at domain writes:

> "I use [Guix] in Trisquel 7"
>
> How did you install it? I searched for Guix in both Add/ Remove
> Applications and Synaptic. No results.
>
> Also this ...
> https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
>
> ... is not really what I need. I need a "for dummies" intro, 1-2 pages
> of text answering these questions; what is a "Guix" and what's it good
> for? Explain like I'm 5.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

Packages installed with Guix still don't feel "native", and they look funny.

The theme does not match the system theme.

Programs do not show up in menus without some symlinking, and even then, the icons are blank.

The desktop doesn't recognize Guix programs in "Open with..." and Alt+F2.

Borders to some elements can be missing, so tooltips will be lone text with no border or background. Buttons in windows are similar.

Some programs don't run at all, like youtube-dl and Gajim.

Fcitx, the tool for typing foreign languages, does not change keyboard layouts and conflicts with already-running ibus.

Environment variables are lost and hard to keep in sync with installed applications. (Every time I install an app, it wants to set a var.)

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

I think there is something missing in your profile --- generally
"${HOME}/.profile", although some people prefer to edit "/etc/profile"
or also "${HOME}/.bashrc".

Here is my recommendations, in this order:

1. Remove the symlinks;

2. Open a text editor;

3. Open a terminal;

4. In the terminal, type:

echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS

5. Use the text editor to copy the result of the last command;

6. Make sure that your "profile" has at least some lines similar to these:

-------------------cut here---------------start------------------
source "${HOME}/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
export GUIX_LOCPATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
export GUIX_GTK3_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0${GUIX_GTK3_PATH:+:}${GUIX_GTK3_PATH}"
export PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/bin:${HOME}/.guix-profile/sbin${PATH:+:}${PATH}"
export SSL_CERT_DIR="${HOME}/.guix-profile/etc/ssl/certs"
export SSL_CERT_FILE="${HOME}/.guix-profile/ca-certificates.crt"
export GIT_SSL_CAINFO="${SSL_CERT_FILE}"
export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}${GUILE_LOAD_PATH}"
export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache:${GUIX_PROFILE}/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH"
-------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

7. Now, in the next line after "export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=...",
make sure to type something like this:

-------------------cut here---------------start------------------
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share:[original $XDG_DATA_DIRS]"
-------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

In my case, I have this:

-------------------cut here---------------start------------------
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share:/usr/share/trisquel-session:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/"
-------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

8. Now log out and back in (no need to reboot). The applications should
be in the menus now, and the software installed through GNU Guix
should have icons if you already have at least "adwaita-icon-theme"
installed through GNU Guix. "hicolor-icon-theme" might also be
needed.

If for some reason, during a package upgrade/install/removal using GNU
Guix, the applications disappear from the menus, everything will still
work as usual (including the icons inside the software). If you do want
the applications to appear again in the menus, you can simply log out
and back in.

name at domain writes:

> Packages installed with Guix still don't feel "native", and they look funny.
>
> The theme does not match the system theme.
>
> Programs do not show up in menus without some symlinking, and even
> then, the icons are blank.
>
> The desktop doesn't recognize Guix programs in "Open with..." and Alt+F2.
>
> Borders to some elements can be missing, so tooltips will be lone text
> with no border or background. Buttons in windows are similar.
>
> Some programs don't run at all, like youtube-dl and Gajim.
>
> Fcitx, the tool for typing foreign languages, does not change keyboard
> layouts and conflicts with already-running ibus.
>

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

> I think there is something missing in your profile --- generally
> "${HOME}/.profile", although some people prefer to edit "/etc/profile"
> or also "${HOME}/.bashrc".

If I can get .profile to work, I'll use that.

> 1. Remove the symlinks;

unlink ~/.local/share/applications/guix

Done!

When I added syminks, I followed
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00044.html

ln -s ~/.guix-profile/share/applications ~/.local/share/applications/guix

> 2. Open a text editor;

I'm in Emacs right now.

> 3. Open a terminal;

Ctrl+Alt+T

> 4. In the terminal, type:
>
> echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS

Done.

>
> 5. Use the text editor to copy the result of the last command;


cal@leela:~$ echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS
/gnu/store/bvlhbzklyhyqz7l70l2z593r6ac343yg-profile/share:/usr/share/trisquel-session:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

> 6. Make sure that your "profile" has at least some lines similar to these:


ls: cannot access /home/cal/.profile: No such file or directory

> -------------------cut here---------------start------------------
> source "${HOME}/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
> export GUIX_LOCPATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> export GUIX_GTK3_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0${GUIX_GTK3_PATH:+:}${GUIX_GTK3_PATH}"
> export PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/bin:${HOME}/.guix-profile/sbin${PATH:+:}${PATH}"
> export SSL_CERT_DIR="${HOME}/.guix-profile/etc/ssl/certs"
> export SSL_CERT_FILE="${HOME}/.guix-profile/ca-certificates.crt"
> export GIT_SSL_CAINFO="${SSL_CERT_FILE}"
> export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}${GUILE_LOAD_PATH}"
> export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH="${HOME}/.guix-profile/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache:${GUIX_PROFILE}/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH"
> -------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

Pasted into ~/Stow/dotfiles/.profile.


cal@leela:~$ cd ~/Stow/
cal@leela:~/Stow$ stow -D dotfiles/
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_US",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
cal@leela:~/Stow$ stow dotfiles/
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_US",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Successful.

> 7. Now, in the next line after "export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=...",
> make sure to type something like this:
>
> -------------------cut here---------------start------------------
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share:[original $XDG_DATA_DIRS]"
> -------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

In my case, I have this:

> -------------------cut here---------------start------------------
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${HOME}/.guix-profile/share:/gnu/store/bvlhbzklyhyqz7l70l2z593r6ac343yg-profile/share:/usr/share/trisquel-session:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop"
> -------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

> 8. Now log out and back in (no need to reboot). The applications should
> be in the menus now, and the software installed through GNU Guix
> should have icons if you already have at least "adwaita-icon-theme"
> installed through GNU Guix. "hicolor-icon-theme" might also be
> needed.

C-x C-s

Logout stalled with HexChat. Rebooting instead.

No PATH error at login! Icons show up! Emacs in "Open with..."!

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

I still have one problem, though.

The GTK themes used by Guix apps do not match the GTK themes of native apps, and this sometimes causes buttons to not even show up. The button text labels show up, but not the buttons themselves.

Also, Fcitx Mozc input method does not switch or work in Guix apps.

Screenshot from 2017-11-08 00:33:20.png
ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

What if you do the following:

Go to Trisquel/GNOME Applications menu → System configuration → Tweak tool → Appearance

And in all the dropdown menus below theme, put the following:

- Window: Adwaita (default)
- GTK+: Adwaita (default)
- Icons: Gnome (default)
- Cursor: Adwaita (default)

Now simply try opening an application that is known to have issues. If it persists, try to log out and back in.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

- HexChat looks better.
- Emacs looks better.
- IceCat looks better.
- YouTube-DLG looks better.
- Mumble still looks bad. (Qt issue?)

But Trisquel looks bad with Adwaita.

Screenshot from 2017-11-14 16:54:08.png
calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

I made it a little better.

Since the Trisquel theme clashes with Guix apps' Adwaita, I changed everything to Adwaita.

Since Adwaita icons and panel color clashes with the default wallpaper, I changed the wallpaper to the Trisquel 6 wallpaper.

Since a thick, solid panel is ugly, I resized it from 44 pixels to 30 pixels. I would have kept the same thickness and made it transparent, but changing the transparency leaves patches of solid black underneath applets, and https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43673/how-to-make-the-gnome-panels-in-ubuntu-totally-transparent/ could not help me fix it.

I still don't think it's as nice as Trisquel's defaults, though, and Qt apps are stil ugly.

betteradwaita.png
ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

Indeed, I made the same thing with the window list bar.

As for the non-transparent parts, I recall that this seems to be a bug
somewhere in GTK+, I recall that this might require changing somethings
in GTK+ and rebuild it, but it's a long time since I don't search for
it.

Qt apps unfortunatelly have little integration with GTK+ and with XDG
standards,

2017-11-16T06:03:33+0100 name at domain wrote:
> I made it a little better.
>
> Since the Trisquel theme clashes with Guix apps' Adwaita, I changed
> everything to Adwaita.
>
> Since Adwaita icons and panel color clashes with the default
> wallpaper, I changed the wallpaper to the Trisquel 6 wallpaper.
>
> Since a thick, solid panel is ugly, I resized it from 44 pixels to 30
> pixels. I would have kept the same thickness and made it transparent,
> but changing the transparency leaves patches of solid black underneath
> applets, and
> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43673/how-to-make-the-gnome-panels-in-ubuntu-totally-transparent/
> could not help me fix it.
>
> I still don't think it's as nice as Trisquel's defaults, though, and
> Qt apps are stil ugly.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

I no longer struggle with making Qt or Adwaita look good on Trisquel. I
see less of the Trisquel interface since I've started using i3 again, so
it's not a problem anymore. Adwaita and my custom MetroMumble Solarized
Dark theme cover up all the "Windows 98" spots.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

I'm glad that everything now works well for you! ;)

2017-12-14T12:54:50-0600 Caleb Herbert wrote:
> I no longer struggle with making Qt or Adwaita look good on Trisquel. I
> see less of the Trisquel interface since I've started using i3 again, so
> it's not a problem anymore. Adwaita and my custom MetroMumble Solarized
> Dark theme cover up all the "Windows 98" spots.
>
>

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

gd_scania
Offline
Joined: 09/13/2017

I have been facing a similar issue like you in Parabola.
[hd_scania@parabola ~]$ sudo guix
guile: warning: failed to install locale
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/ui.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/utils.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/config.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/combinators.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/build/utils.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/build/syscalls.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
WARNING: (guix utils): `bytevector->string' imported from both (rnrs io ports) and (ice-9 iconv)
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/store.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/serialization.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/monads.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/packages.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/records.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/gexp.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/derivations.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/hash.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/gcrypt.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/base32.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/sets.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/grafts.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/build-system.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/search-paths.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/profiles.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/licenses.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: No such file or directory
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/gnu/system/file-systems.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/gnu/build/file-systems.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file /usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/build/bournish.go failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
ice-9/psyntax.scm:1558:32: In procedure expand-macro:
ice-9/psyntax.scm:1558:32: Syntax error:
guix/ui.scm:254:7: source expression failed to match any pattern in form (report-error (_ "failed to load '~a': ~a~%") file (strerror err))
Some deprecated features have been used. Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information. Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
[hd_scania@parabola ~]$

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010
jules_verne
Offline
Joined: 01/02/2017

I also have great interest in learning Guix. Mostly due a answer gave by the own Adfeno in another post in which I asked about R in Trisquel. Unfortunately university has not given me the time to dedicate myself on the matter.

strypey
Offline
Joined: 05/14/2015

Following these instructions ...
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Binary-Installation

I ran the commands for downloading the Guix binary and its .sig file via FTP, and importing the required public key to very. I then ran:
gpg --verify guix-binary-0.13.0.system.tar.xz.sig

The result was:
>>
gpg: Signature made Tue 23 May 2017 00:51:34 NZST using RSA key ID 3D9AEBB5
gpg: Good signature from "Ludovic Courtès <name at domain>"
gpg: aka "Ludovic Courtès <name at domain>"
gpg: aka "Ludovic Courtès (Inria) <name at domain>"
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 3CE4 6455 8A84 FDC6 9DB4 0CFB 090B 1199 3D9A EBB5
<<

Did I do something wrong, or is there a problem here that needs to be reported?

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

GnuPG is telling you that you the signature is good, and does correspond
to Ludovic's. The warning is showing that your GnuPG public keyring
doesn't have any trust on that public key. That's OK. What we wanted is
to get the "Good signature" message.

name at domain writes:

> Following these instructions ...
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Binary-Installation
>
> I ran the commands for downloading the Guix binary and its .sig file
> via FTP, and importing the required public key to very. I then ran:
> gpg --verify guix-binary-0.13.0.system.tar.xz.sig
>
> The result was:
>>>
> gpg: Signature made Tue 23 May 2017 00:51:34 NZST using RSA key ID 3D9AEBB5
> gpg: Good signature from "Ludovic Courtès "
> gpg: aka "Ludovic Courtès "
> gpg: aka "Ludovic Courtès (Inria) "
> gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 3CE4 6455 8A84 FDC6 9DB4 0CFB 090B 1199 3D9A EBB5

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

Guix seems to be building everything from source, which can take a while. As per these instructions I tried# cd [prefix]/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub
# guix archive --authorize < hydra.gnu.org.pub
and got

guile: warning: failed to install locale
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

with no other output. I get that error almost every time I try to do something with Guix and it usually works anyway. Since I got no other errors I just kept going with$ guix build emacs --dry-run and got "The following derivations would be built:" so apparently it did not work.

During an installation I do see a lot of "updating list of substitutes" messages, but I also frequently see the word "build" and a lot of .c and .h files go by, which combined with the long installation time makes me doubt that it is actually downloading binaries from the substitutes and installing them.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

Just now I notice that I might be the person contributing to most of the
off-topic discussions... :O

That said, I think it would be benefical if we continue discussing this
on another mailing list, please subscribe to help-guix ([1]) and resend
your last message to that list.

[1] .

name at domain writes:

> Guix seems to be building everything from source, which can take a
> while. As per these instructions I tried# cd
> [prefix]/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub
> # guix archive --authorize < hydra.gnu.org.puband got
>
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
>
> with no other output. I get that error almost every time I try to do
> something with Guix and it usually works anyway. Since I got no other
> errors I just kept going with$ guix build emacs --dry-run and got "The
> following derivations would be built:" so apparently it did not work.
>
> During an installation I do see a lot of "updating list of
> substitutes" messages, but I also frequently see the word "build" and
> a lot of .c and .h files go by, which combined with the long
> installation time makes me doubt that it is actually downloading
> binaries from the substitutes and installing them.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

Sorry, once you start paying attention to a thread it's tempting to ask Guix questions there. I'll repost to help-guix where it belongs. Thanks.

davidpgil
Offline
Joined: 08/26/2015

Great post. So far Guix seems like exactly what I wanted. I love Trisquel and use it as my main desktop but I hate the the packages are so outdated. Using Guix helps me get around that without needing to deal with PPAs, rolling releases and/or switching to Parabola/Arch which I was dreading to have to do since many commands/ways of doing things are different on Arch.

davidpgil
Offline
Joined: 08/26/2015

...silly question. I installed guix and installed a package. however, I can't figure out how to execute the package i installed... Kind of embarassing... :/

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

I was also confused when I started using GUIX. ADEFNO provided a very helpful answer: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/guix-usage#comment-119341

megurineturilli
Offline
Joined: 01/10/2012

I recently created a debian package, so I can install guix on many machines more quickly.
https://notabug.org/isengaara/debian-guix-installer

The next step will be building a debian package for the libreboot tools (patched flashrom and cbfstool).
The software has been built on Trisquel 7 but it will run on any system as it is statically linked.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I recently created a debian package, so I can install guix on many
> machines more quickly.
> https://notabug.org/isengaara/debian-guix-installer

You rock. I look forward to trying this out.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

With a fresh install of Uruk, I ran

$ git clone https://notabug.org/isengaara/debian-guix-installer.git
$ cd debian-guix-installer
$ make
$ sudo dpkg -i guix-installer.deb

and got

(Reading database ... 259417 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack guix-installer.deb ...
Unpacking guix (0.14.0) over (0.14.0) ...
Setting up guix (0.14.0) ...

I then ran

$ guix package -i hello

and got

bash: guix: command not found

and ~/.guix-profile was not created.

Is there a step I'm missing? I tried

$ sudo apt install guix

and got

guix is already the newest version (0.14.0)

jules_verne
Offline
Joined: 01/02/2017

Thank you very much! I was able to easily install Guix using your package. No problems found. Currently running T8.
I haven't tested Guix this much but so far so good. I am impressed that such an elegant system hasen't yet been fully incorporated by many distros.

megurineturilli
Offline
Joined: 01/10/2012

The package contains just the tarball and an installer script that I have written, you will have to run /gnu/guix_installer/setup first.
When your guix installation is broken, you can stop the guix-daemon and remove /gnu/store and /var/guix and then rerun /gnu/guix_installer/setup again.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

Thank you for clarifying. With a fresh install of the Trisquel 8 ISO from 6/18 I ran

$ git clone https://notabug.org/isengaara/debian-guix-installer.git
$ cd debian-guix-installer
$ make
$ sudo dpkg -i guix-installer.deb
$ sudo /gnu/guix_installer/setup
$ guix package -i hello

and everything worked as expected. Thanks!

ngmoviedo
Offline
Joined: 02/27/2018

I have used that method in Trisquel 7, but I am getting the following error while trying to execute the last line:

guile: warning: failed to install locale
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
guix package: error: failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? Guix is apparently installed. It responds when the arguments "--help" or "--version" are given, although the first two warnings are always present.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

Install "glibc-locales" in both "root" and per-user profiles (at least
for the users you do want to have translated messages). GNU Guix's info
pages ([1]) will tell you more about this in the sections about locales.

After installing, in my "${HOME}/.profile" I have this (both in "root"
and in non-root users' ".profile"):

-------------------cut here---------------start------------------
export GUIX_PROFILE="${HOME}/.guix-profile"
source "${GUIX_PROFILE}/etc/profile"
export GUIX_LOCPATH="${GUIX_PROFILE}/lib/locale"
-------------------cut here---------------end--------------------

And I think this is also covered in GNU Guix's info page ([1]).

> guix package: error: failed to connect to
> `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory

Hm.... this one I don't know about, perhaps talk to the help-guix
mailing list.

[1] To view the info pages: Login as "root" user (using: sudo -i ), then
do: info guix . This is needed because only the "root" user has GNU Guix
installed, so only "root" has the info pages. Despite this, other users
are allowed to use the Guix-related commands --- I assume so because I
blindly consider that the installation method you have choosen follows
the instructions in the installation manual regarding enabling usage for
non-root users.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.