[HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw]: Unable to Install Device on Trisquel 8.0

1 reply [Last post]
destinationunknown

I am a new Trisquel 8.0 user who has been trying to install the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw to my Pentium 4 3.06 GHz desktop computer, without success.

I am writing to not only ask if fellow Trisquel GNU/Linux users could suggest some tips for me try so that I can understand how to install and use the device, but also, to share the method(s) I have used in my hapless yet interesting journey so far.

My HP device is connected to the computer using a USB port, and, has power. The wire connecting the two is in good condition showing no obvious signs of damage to it.

Using the program HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (hplip hplip-gui, version 3.16.3), the HP Device Manager, and from there, under the titles Device Discovery -> Connection (I/O) Type, selected 'Universal Serial Bus (USB)' as my device is connected to my computer that way. After pressing the 'Next' button, HP Device Manager informs that there are 'No devices found'.

Control Center was opened, and from the Administration tab, Printers was selected. The HP device is shown in the new window, with a green checkmark. Under the menu Server, Settings was selected, and from there, the checkbox beside "Publish Shared Printers Connected to This Systen" was checked.

Returning back to the Printers window, the printer icon was right clicked where the Properties option was then selected. Under the Settings tab, the HP appears to be recognized, showing the Description, Device URI and Make and Model fields full of information. The Print Test Page button was selected, which returned a Print Error result in a new window. Under the Properties>Policies tab, Enabled, Accepting Jobs, and Shared checkboxes are checked.

Mate Terminal was opened, and the command lsusbwas entered which returned Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:322a HP, IncNext, the command hp-setup -i was entered, '0' selected to indicate the connection type as usb, which returned the messageerror: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Also in Mate Terminal, the command groups was entered, which returned user adm lp cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashareI also entered the command lsusb -vwhich, among many other things, returned bNumInterfaces=4

Another command used in Mate Terminal was hp-check which returned results that displayed dependencies that are all missing:libjpeg libcrypto python3-devel libnetsnmp-devel cups-devel cups-image sane-devel libpthread gcc libtool makeAs well, under Permissions, an error message reads error: Unsupported model: HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fw

Cups was then opened after entering "http://localhost:631/" into the address bar of ABrowser. The Printers tab was selected, where one can see that cups has detected the HP device. The Print Test Page in the Maintenance drop down menu was selected but did not produce the desired result, producing instead, the message 'Filter Failed'.

A lengthy post, and hopefully not too dull, but I just wanted to share, as mentioned above, the steps that I have used so far to try to make the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw work on Trisquel 8.0.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

That printer "requires a driver plug-in": https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

As far as I understand, that is proprietary software...