Libreboot T400 on Minifree reduces in price once again

73 replies [Last post]
ariellab

I know right? I could have been saved with that this morning. :) I feel so silly.

Jabjabs

Microsoft even used something similar for a while on their awful Surface RT tablets. That has been dropped as well.

By dropped I mean the cable, not the laptop. ;)

ariellab

I had a Surface RT and rather liked it. It was nice to use with Windows 8. After about 3 years I gave it to my nephew who uses it for homework, drawing etc.

ariellab

Crazy glued everything back together. Crack sealed, accident resolved lol.

ariellab

I'm also noticing that closing the lid of the T400 doesn't put it into standby, but powers it off completely. In System Settings I have it set to "suspend" but it's powering off. (This was before I damaged it LOL.) Any ideas?

ariellab

Also, if I click my way to standby, via Launcher--Power Off--Suspend, it won't wake back up no matter what I try. Keys, mouse, open close lid, pressing power button, nothing. I have to hold the power button down for several seconds to force shut down and reboot.

libreleah

hi ariella,

S3 is known to be problematic on these thinkpads (as documented on the libreboot website). we think it's related to the revision of the microcode on some CPUs (some T400s do have reliable S3 in libreboot)

See:
https://libreboot.org/docs/hardware/x200.html#ram_s3_microcode

(this section applies to GM45 hardware in general, so it is also relevant for the T400)

~Leah

ariellab

Ooof, very technical. I can try to see what I have and know more about what behaviours to expect. Thanks!

Archetyp

My laptop is shipping today :)

libreleah

UPS collected earlier today, so your laptop has now shipped. Check the tracking number that I gave you.

It should arrive some time next week.

Newgnu

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my newly received libreboot T400 only has sound working for headphones but not for the built-in speakers.

The only thing I've done since I received it is change the locale to french and update everything through the software updater, I haven't tested sound before that unfortunately. The updater asked me something about what to do with the custom config of grub if I remember well but being a gnu beginner and not being sure what to do I just selected the default proposed, keep the custom config I think (instead of using the maintainer config or other options). No idea if this is related to my sound problem or if I chose well either.

I've checked that speakers are not muted in system parameters and with the alsamixer terminal command. The sound icon on the bottom right is not muted either.
I've tried
sudo alsa force-reload
as proposed somewhere else but no effect even after reboot.
I attached the result of a few suggested terminal commands that I tried to show some information.
There is this automute thing enabled that I don't understand in alsamixer but disabling it didn't solve my problem (I did not try rebooting after disabling it though).
Thanks in advance !

Capture du 2017-06-24 15:37:58.png
AttachmentSize
sound-debug.txt 11.07 KB
Newgnu

I've just searched the doc and the relevant part is probably here :

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#sound-card

I had missed this point. I'll think about the USB DAC substitute !
Thank you for your answer !

libreleah

Hi Newgnu,

Actually, sound out of the speakers should work perfectly. I've had a word with my employee who set up your laptop and told him: test the speakers before shipping laptops. He was testing everything else, but overlooked the speakers. This won't happen again.

If you want working sound: email me telling me your order number, and that your speakers don't work; I will ship you a whole new T400.
I will pay for the cost of you returning the T400 that you initially received.

~Leah

ariellab

"Pardon me, but I believe that is normal, a tradeoff for freedom"

I can't confirm that that is true because the sound works fine on my Minifree T400 received recently, even after all current updates.

libreleah

hi ariella,

I replied to the individual, telling them I'd send them another T400. They indeed should have working speakers.

I know why their speakers don't work... I'm dealing with it for them.

~Leah

libreleah

I've re-added the 8GiB RAM option on Minifree's T400 product. They too were hard to find, but a lot of people were asking about them - I therefore went to every supplier I could find and bought 8GiB RAM upgrade kits.

So now you can get 8GiB of freedom :)

libreleah

I've also lowered the price of the 2nd extra batteries to 25 EUR (previously it was 98 EUR). So now you can get a few hours of extra freedom too :)

https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-t400-battery/

Archetyp

German Trisquel GNU/Linux users forum -- Libreboot T400 Review!

https://trisquel.info/de/forum/libreboot-t400-review

libreleah

Thank you for your review.

Archetyp

English Trisquel GNU/Linux users forum -- Libreboot T400 Review!

https://trisquel.info/de/forum/libreboot-t400-review-0

libreleah

Thanks again :)

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Thanks for your hard work, Leah. Just flashed libreboot on my x60 and everything works flawlessly. Looking forward to your x220 port.

libreleah

If you have any questions about Libreboot, you can ask on #libreboot IRC in freenode