RTL8192SU adapter in trisquel

3 replies [Last post]
zntneo

I just installed trisquel mostly thanks to my new associate membership in the FSF where they send you a usb card with trisquel on it. The problem is my usb wireless adpater is a rtl8191su which it seems like network manager actually detects but says device is not ready any way to get it to work?

zntneo

I will add i have a working wireless driver on my computer so i can download anything (it just happens to only be a 802.11g instead of an n).

akirashinigami

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Information for that particular wireless adapter isn't on h-node, but there's a model with a similar model number (http://www.h-node.com/wifi/view/en/319/Realtek-Semiconductor-Co--Ltd--RTL8191SEvB-Wireless-LAN-Controller/1/1/Realtek/undef/undef/undef/undef) which says it doesn't work with free software. Unfortunately, there's a good chance that your model won't work with free software, either.

Chris

I am a member!

The rtl8191su does depend on non-free firmware so it definitely will not work with Trisquel. The chipsets that will work are primarily the rtl8187b and rtl8187l. There is also an ar9170 that I don't recommend. We sell these cards and have thoroughly researched the best chipsets. We use them with Trisquel in-house.

ThinkPenguin.com

It is unlikely you can get them locally and few places online either. We import them from Taiwan and I know both the rtl8187b and ar9170 chipsets are in very very few adapters any more. What adapters did have them have or are being discontinued.

My advise is to check out the wikipedia article on wireless chipsets.