Trisquel 9.0.1 Kernal Update & my concerns.

4 replies [Last post]
SabirSaleem90

My very concerned questions and the reason for installing new installation instead of updating current system is below can anyone please answer.

"Once the virus is active on the computer, it can copy itself to files, disks, and programs as they are used by the computer, whether automatically or by the computer user. The big difference between a computer virus and other programs is that the computer virus is specifically designed to make a copy of itself."

so if binary blobs were found in versions of Linux-Libre prior to 5.1.

So my question is that if that blobs contains any malicious and other codes obvious we do not know so could it copy in other programs and files even we update repo afterwards.

I think my question is very serious isn't it ?.

Because till yet we do not know that linux-libre is 100% blob free and peoples are still saying that it found some blobs and removed now in newer update so how I make sure these blobs never infected my other files and folders in system as this is also type of virus.

Any suggestions is welcome.

SabirSaleem90

Linux-Libre prior to 5.14.*

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Repeating my reply to the question you asked as well in https://trisquel.info/forum/release-announcement-trisquel-901-etiona-security-update#comment-164787 :

As far as I understand https://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2021-August/003439.html (definitely not as well as Legimet or jxself do!):

• unless you own a ST VS6624 sensor, the related blob would never be executed (the related module would not even be loaded);
  • the other "overlooked binary blobs" deal with a CPU architecture (PowerPC) that Trisquel does not support: they never ended up in the kernels Trisquel was distributing.
SabirSaleem90

yes but my question was if something not libre in kernal like these bugs comes by time to time so what if we using it and updates when new update come.

so the malicious scripts can be copied in our files and programs so should we again do fresh installation or upgrade will not impact security.

Thanks

jxself

"Once the virus is active on the computer..."

I think it's not correct to categorize it as a virus. This is a very different situation. In the case of a computer virus it's executable directly on your primary CPU. These are not. They're patches for firmware and microcode so not even a complete program in and of themselves. Even if they were they'd not be used on your CPU. There would not have been a way for what you're describing to have happened.