Trouble getting nouveau to load instead of vesa for my nvidia 970

13 replies [Last post]
calebhc

Hello! I'm completely new to Trisquel and libre software. I just did a fresh install of Trisquel 7 64 bit and everything went fine except my computer keeps using the basic vesa drivers instead of the nouveau ones. I updated all of my packages to the latest and even installed the latest linux-libre64 kernel. My Xorg.0.log shows that vesa is getting loaded. I went to the nouveau maintainer's website and looked at the trouble shooting section and tried their basic "4 line" x-server config but that didn't help me either. My graphics card is an nvidia gtx 970. I have attached my Xorg.0.log output in case anyone is interested in looking at it. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious or my card won't work with the free software drivers. If so, I'll have to look into purchasing another graphics card since I don't want to run any proprietary drivers.

Thanks for your time! :)

AttachmentSize
Xorg.0.log_.txt23.29 KB
calebhc

Well I did some more digging and found this post https://trisquel.info/en/forum/upgraded-video-card. Looks like I need to get an older nvidia card and check h-node to see what card I should buy. I'll keep this thread updated with what I end up getting. :)

vita_cell

The bad is, that your GPU need signed Nvidia's firmware (more than non-free obviously). And deblobbed Linux won't give you that firmware, because is Nvidia's blob and it is missing. Your GPU can not to work properly without that signed firmware.

Do you want the best performance without blobs? buy Kepler card with gddr5:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/#NVE0

avoid gtx750, gtx750ti...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, I had gtx970, I prefer my gtx770 with true 4gb (gtx970 has 3,5gb), and my gt730 with 2gb gddr5.

calebhc

Thanks for the info! :) I might have to look more into the Kepler cards. I actually just ordered a new desktop from ThinkPengiun with a Geforce 8400GS. Hoping that card works well and I get some 3D acceleration! It looks like h-node says that card works with nouveau drivers but it wasn't tested with Trisquel 7. If it works, I'll see if I can contribute to h-node.

lembas

Some people just care about their freedom.

calebhc

Hi lembas! :)

I care about freedom as well but I also have a deep passion for programming 3D graphics and would like to continue doing hobby projects on my GNU/Linux setup. The rest of my development stack works great on Trisquel and I'm happy to be moving over to the libre world. I sadly can't move completely over yet since I have clients that still require me to maintenance their Android/iPhone apps but someday I may be able to give that up. I'm just taking small steps at a time. :)

vita_cell

Ohhhh yeah.

So you think that it is fine that Nvidia downgrades performance for their older video cards through drivers and gpu's firmware. Nice example are Kepler cards.

calebhc

That sucks that they downgrade their performance and put limits on it. :/

It'd be nice if there was a completely open source software/hardware based graphics accelerator but I know that would be a huge undertaking to build!

calebhc

I'm okay with the downgraded performance. :) My philosophy on software has been changing recently and I'm really not into gaming that much any more. I don't like all of the DRM with AAA games coming out. My new geforce 8400gs has been fine for me so far. I plan on doing some more tinkering with graphics programming soon and I think it will suit my needs since I believe it supports the OpenGL 3.1 Spec.

I donated my gtx 970 to my brother who plays games a lot on steam. :)

vita_cell

You will have 3d acceleration with Nvidia cards, but at lower pstate. But you can reclock Kepler cards and run it with highter pstate.

calebhc

What are pstates? Something to do with a performance level?

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

The GPU performance state APIs are used to get and set various performance levels on a per-GPU basis. P-States are GPU active/executing performance capability and power consumption states.

P-States range from P0 to P15, with P0 being the highest performance/power state, and P15 being the lowest performance/power state. Each P-State maps to a performance level. Not all P-States are available on a given system. The definition of each P-States are currently as follows:

P0/P1 - Maximum 3D performance
P2/P3 - Balanced 3D performance-power
P8 - Basic HD video playback
P10 - DVD playback
P12 - Minimum idle power consumption

calebhc

Cool! Thanks for sharing the info :)