trying to install required software for MIT opencourseware

10 replies [Last post]
eric23
Offline
Joined: 06/30/2017

Hi,

I am trying to install software for he MIT's opencourseware Introduction to Algorithms course.

I installed pypy from the repositories. I was not able to find the distribute_setup.py file as the website, python-distribute.org, seems to no longer exist. Any ideas?

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-006-introduction-to-algorithms-fall-2011/syllabus/software/

freemedia
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2018

"You should develop under CPython, and only use PyPy if some weird issue arises. This document walks you through installing both flavors."

im a fan of pypy but it seems like you should be using cpython. do you have pip installed? i believe it is available in trisquel.

pypy is also available under trisquel. you can install both-- trisquel already includes python 2.7.

in fact im not sure you actually need to install anything that doesnt already come with trisquel by default.

id recommend skipping this step and moving past python installation since trisquel probably comes with what you need. but let me know how that works out.

note that mit opencourseware isnt under a proper oer license (they use nc, oer really shouldnt do this) and may include non-free software as well, at which point you would find scant support on the trisquel forum. but so far, we have only spoken about python which is free.

let me know if you have trouble with the next part. i have not done what you are trying to do.

eric23
Offline
Joined: 06/30/2017

I installed python-pip. What do I do with it? I couldn't find cpython or python-profiler in the repositories in neither pip nor apt.

So you disagree with the NC-SA license for all educational use, because if you learn something you can't apply it to work that you sell?

I have been a little confused about what online resources there are for computer science. I'll try to find with something without the CC-BY-NC license.

I am kind of limited on ixquick (startpage) as it only displays one page of search. I don't like duckduckgo because they colluded with yahoo. I found a close relative's obit result when I searched for something irrelevant (my zip code I think) once so I thought ddg.gg was weird. When I search for someone I knew on ixquick it too brought up other local people so maybe it is not unusual what ddg.gg did.

freemedia
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2018

i dont know if ixquick is better than duckduckgo in any way shape or form. searx.me or yacy are alternatives? i would be interested in this communitys opinion on duckduckgo.com

i disagree with nc for oer: https://freemedia.neocities.org/nc-and-nd-arent-that-great.html

im not sure boycotting mit opencourseware is the answer, but i wanted to say its bad for oer that they do that. what you do in that regard is naturally up to you.

cpython is included in trisquel as "python." there are several implementations of python, cpython is the most popular one.

"because if you learn something you can't apply it to work that you sell?"

no, nc is just so vague as a license it barely offers anything concrete. this defeats the purpose of cc licenses, which are to enable sharing and make it less complicated. this makes it completely wrong for oer, which is also supposed to simplify sharing and collaboration-- and often does, but it does a lot better when proper oer licenses (cc by or by-sa among others) are used. https://freedomdefined.org

you already have cpython installed. so what do you want to do next?

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I am kind of limited on ixquick (startpage) as it only displays one page of
> search.

Really? I occasionally use Startpage and in my experience it returns
multiple pages of results. There are navigation buttons at the bottom of
the page.

> I don't like duckduckgo because they colluded with yahoo. I found a
> close relative's obit result when I searched for something irrelevant (my
> zip code I think) once so I thought ddg.gg was weird.

DuckDuckGo's JavaScript is proprietary, and not all functionality works
with JavaScript disabled (no image searches, for example).

Some of Startpage's JavaScript is also proprietary, but it works fine
with JavaScript disabled, so it's better than DuckDuckGo in that
respect.

You might try Searx.

freemedia
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2018

i tend to use duckduckgo with javascript disabled. i find it irritating and bloated with js on.

searx isnt bad so far. it would be cool if our community stopped using search engines altogether, and built our own alternatives. though i cant help thinking sooner or later we would be filtering out non-free software from search results. and ive got very mixed feelings about that.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

There is a HTML version: https://duckduckgo.com/html

freemedia
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2018

it frequently takes me to that anyway. im quite certain duckduckgo is better than google, based on a sample of every single person ive ever talked to im never quite certain that i can say anything better about it than that.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

> https://duckduckgo.com/html

That's what I was referring to. The HTML version is missing some of the
functionality of the JavaScript version. Searx and Startpage don't
require JavaScript for any of their features, as far as I've noticed.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

OK. I always use the HTML version. As a consequence, I do not know of the additional features of the "default" version. At least, the so-called "bangs" work.

eric23
Offline
Joined: 06/30/2017

Abrowser and Icecat have two different ways of rendering things, I guess. I use Abrowser more often.