Ubuntu 13.04 Enables Phased Updates - what means that?

7 replies [Last post]
dadix

I read about this article here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/phased-updates-to-start-rolling-out-for-ubuntu-13-04

The author said :

"When issues are detected the update process is stopped to ensure that as few users as possible end up with troublesome updates installed.
But, if all is well after a 6 hour period, then another 10% get the updates and the process repeats."

, that mean Ubuntu spy tool is active all the time in Ubuntu to detect crashes on users pc. So if they monitor this maybe they monitor another things. To me it seems a malicious function. Trisquel most to remove this function.

Trisquel must to go away from Ubuntu and join efforts with gNewSense for a better and secure operating system.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The developers may only take a look at the bug reports voluntarily sent with Apport. Or monitor the forums/IRC. I do not know and you may be right. I just wanted to point out that those phase updates do not necessarily mean spying on the user. There may be an answer in the last 10 minutes of this video I do not have time to watch.

lembas

There's the package apport which automatically generates crash reports for debugging. Dunno if it's installed by default, doesn't seem to be on my system now. (I've removed and installed many packages since install.) Of course, if it sends data to Trisquel instead of Ubuntu it might be useful to have. Although I don't know if Trisquel has the man power to actually do something with the data.

Similar question could be asked about data gathered by the package popularity-contest. Don't think that one is installed by default.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Last time I did a Debian install, I was asked whether to join Popularity Contest, and got the impression that I was not automatically entered. I chose not to opt in.

jxself

Yep, Magic Banana hit it on the head - It's automatic with "Whoopsie"

http://askubuntu.com/questions/135540/what-is-the-whoopsie-process-and-how-can-i-remove-it

And it's talked about in the last 10 minutes of the video Magic Banana linked to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WW0Dz079lg&html5=1

Note that I modified the URL to include &html5=1 at the end so you automatically get it as WebM. (Why don't more people tack that on to their URLs when sharing YouTube videos?)

teodorescup

I am a member!

I for one didn't know about that &html5=1 thing, thanks.

--
I use: trisquel.info | ceata.org | fsf.org | riseup.net | duckduckgo.com | eff.org | h-node.com | torproject.org | flattr.com | skepdic.com |

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I have just appended "html5=1" at the end of the URL. I personally use ViewTube, which is an excellent GreaseMonkey script to watch in freedom online videos with your video player (for instance Totem) on many Web sites: YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, MetaCafe, Break, FunnyOrDie, Videojug, Mevio, BlipTV, Veoh, VeeHD, IMDb, and Crackle. The format and quality can be chosen and there is a button to download the video.

lloydsmart

I am a member!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

I also use ViewTube, a fantastic addon that avoids using YouTube's proprietary Javascript code that is part of their HTML5 player.

Still, I consider a bit of non-free javascript to be a bit less evil than Flash, so I will use the "html5=1" appendage in the future when sending YouTube links to people who I know don't have ViewTube and would otherwise have loaded the Flash player.

Thanks for the hint! (Even if we are going slightly off topic here).
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iF4EAREIAAYFAlIKT7gACgkQgijxUCZnvluUoAEAiqhGLOszcY+2tK9w4qlLd1eV
KJNOIYUz8MK9PvwRSrgBAMcOSoJ8nbWDcM5UtiAI6iZ4b4CMzArRpPl0TpjWxbLy
=NMP4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----