Upgrading to Trisquel 8

21 replies [Last post]
Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

So ... what's the best way for me to upgrade to Trisquel 8? On my laptop, I am currently running Trisquel 7, although I installed the full version and then changed to LXDE from Gnome, rather than installing the 'Mini' version.

Do I just change the repository paths to the Trisquel 8 ones and then run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

?

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 10/31/2014

Yes. That should just work good. Backup first maybe.

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

I'm trying to do the upgrade at the moment, although during the 'apt-get update' part, I'm seeing some GPG errors, presumably because the authentication keys for the Flidas repos are different to the Belenos ones?:

W: GPG error: http://us.archive.trisquel.info flidas InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B138CA450C05112F
W: GPG error: http://us.archive.trisquel.info flidas-security InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B138CA450C05112F
W: GPG error: http://us.archive.trisquel.info flidas-updates InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B138CA450C05112F

It also seems to be throwing some warnings, like these:

W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-dev'
W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-wayland'
W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-x11'
W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libkf5sysguard-dev'
W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libxapian-dev'
W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi
W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-max
W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-min

But those don't look too serious, so I'm going to ignore them and hope they will go away.

Then, during 'apt-get dist-upgrade', it's telling me that it can't authenticate the packages, which I assume is linked to the earlier GPG errors that I saw?

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and do the upgrade and I'll report back once I get to the other side ... :)

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

I managed to solve the authentication issues by simply re-installing the 'Trisquel-Keyring' package. New packages are now authenticating fine with Flidas. However, if the keys had been updated, shouldn't that have prompted a package upgrade?

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

Most of the packages seemed to install just fine, although a handful had dependency issues. The system isn't currently booting up, so one or two of those must be critical.

I'll have a look at those broken packages and see if there is anything I can do.

Tonics
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2014

I installed Trisquel 8 nearly the same way...
I took a trsquel7 mini install and updated it until it got the new gpg keys from 2017.. After updating i changed the sources.list to flidas and had therefor no gpg errors... Then i had to only switch to systemd, because upstart wasnt working properly anymore.. There might be some packages which arent in flidas/xenial which you can uninstall, but besides that everything worked for me fine this way!

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

I'm hoping that the upgrade would have removed Upstart and installed Systemd, but if not then that might be behind some of the booting confusion.

I actually didn't bother with apt-get upgrade and went straight for dist-upgrade and it seems to have removed some packages that weren't present in the Flidas repos. I think one of the ones that had issues was 'gnome-session', which sounds like it might fairly important for booting as well.

So, how do I fix the issue with the gpg keys? Do I need to download a new key file from somewhere for Flidas?

mason

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I installed the full version and then changed to LXDE from Gnome

LXDE doesn't work in Trisquel 8 yet. It still has some missing/broken dependencies. Did you have any other DEs or WMs installed alongside LXDE?

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

No, unfortunately not. I really want to use LXDE, so if it's got broken dependencies then I'll have to figure out how to fix those packages ;-)

Tonics
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2014

You can get easily the missing packages from the ubuntu xenial repos.. gnome did work for me, i use lxqt atm.
Lxde worked for me as well ;)

I made a fresh clean install, because i couldnt fix the gpg problem but maybe someone else knows how to do so...

Tonics
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2014
Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

So, I've fiddled about a bit more and I seem to have gotten it working (sort of). I am now booted in and writing this on Trisquel 8, using LXDE. Woo hoo! :-D

To fix it, I booted into single-user mode. When I ran `sudo apt-get check`, there was a list of broken package dependencies. Not that many, and most of them seemed to be related to Texinfo. When I tried to run `apt-get -f install`, it didn't work (presumably some of those packages couldn't be fixed). So, I removed some of them with `dpkg -r`, to the point where `apt-get -f install` did work. At that point, apt kicked off into setting up a big list of packages, which took quite a while. So, it seems that perhaps the broken packages may have interrupted apt's upgrade process, which is probably why it broke my system. After it completed all that, I ran `apt-get upgrade` again and eventually apt got the system to a point where it was happy enough to boot into LXDE.

Another package that was causing problems was plymouth-theme-trisquel-logo, which I had to remove completely. After the upgrade, systemd was installed, but upstart hadn't been removed, so I removed that too.

So, I seem to have gotten there in the end, although I wouldn't say the experience was completely 'smooth'. There are probably some things that aren't working quite right. If I see anything then I'll try to figure out what packages they are see if I can do anything to fix them.

davidpgil
Offline
Joined: 08/26/2015

I have only been using Trisquel as my main desktop for a couple of years and was not aware I can upgrade in this way... I just reinstalled a new machine and used backintime to restore all the stuff I wanted to restore. Nice job, @Time4Tea !

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

It seems that, for the most part, Trisquel 8 is working and available, for those that want it. I guess we just need to polish out a few remaining issues and get the word out there then? (so much for those that were labeling it as a 'zombie' project ...)

One comment I have is that it doesn't really 'look' that much different to Belenos. For example, it would be great to have some new artwork for the booting screen and/or a new desktop wallpaper.

Maybe that ties into the plymouth-logo thing not working properly, if that is still a work-in-progress?

Pyraman
Offline
Joined: 06/05/2014

I am sorry to burst your bubble friends, but

TRISQUEL 8 DOES NOT EXIST. PERIOD

It is only Trisquel 8 pre-alpha that exists.
Real Trisquel 8 will not come out until 2020

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-8-release-countdown-clock

CalmStorm

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 12/31/2014

Awesome trolling! Love it.

Like you don't know that 2021 is when trisquel 8 would expire.

and by 2020 people wouldn't care about trisquel 8 as much.

Pyraman
Offline
Joined: 06/05/2014

T8 would come out at 2020 and expire at 2021, its all planned! :)
Thank you, CalmStorm :D and coming Merry Trumpmas by the way ;)

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

I'm using it right now and it works. So, I am not sure what definition you are using for 'doesn't exist' .. ;-)

Pyraman
Offline
Joined: 06/05/2014

You are using the alpha version, which is called alpha for a reason: contains more bugs than the average release version, so cant be called as "release". Maybe you haven't encountered the bugs, but that could be because of your specific software/hardware configuration, or maybe just a light usage of that PC

Time4Tea
Offline
Joined: 07/16/2017

I am using it and it works. Ergo, it 'exists'. I did not state in which form it exists.

CalmStorm

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 12/31/2014

Just gonna say something, its out of nowhere... but yeah.......................................................

gnome 3 IS TRASH!

systemd is a dependency, number 1 and number 2 GNOME3 it is ugly and breaks easily.

aka not much stability. And besides that it requires 3d.

calher

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 06/19/2015

On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 01:44 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> Just gonna say something, its out of nowhere... but
> yeah.......................................................
>
>
>
> gnome 3 IS TRASH!

I disagree.

>
> systemd is a dependency, number 1 and

GNOME runs on systems that don't use systemd, such as OpenBSD and
GuixSD.

> number 2 GNOME3 it is ugly and breaks
> easily.

GNOME is beautiful and was carefully designed by professionals who did
put a lot of thought, research and user testing into their design.

GNOME has not broken on my system. In fact, Windows 10 breaks more than
my GNOME desktop does, and will easily adapt to newly-attached monitors
while Windows 10 consistently fails to fit to the edges of the screen so
you can see what you're doing.

>
> aka not much stability. And besides that it requires 3d.

3D requirements can be a problem, which is why Trisquel's decision to
use MATE by default was a good decision. But, for those who have 3D,
GNOME is the best modern desktop the free world has to offer, and people
will look with awe at how polished and intuitive our free software
desktops are.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey