Videotelephony on Trisquel 7

22 replies [Last post]
Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

I used to use http://meet.jit.si or http://vroom.im to do videotelephony through WebRTC between two Trisquel 7 systems separated by an ocean (I live in Brazil, my family in France). They do not work anymore. Maybe because of enhanced privacy settings in Abrowser that I could reverse? What alternative reliable (and hopefully simple) solution would you recommend me? I can install anything on both Trisquel 7 systems.

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2012

was this after installing updates?
other wise maybe they need a newer version of firefox(what abrowser is
based on)? they might have upgraded the JavaScript of the services using
new things in latest ff version?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

The current version of Abrowser in Trisquel 7 is based on Firefox 56 (Firefox 57 in Trisquel 8).

dsj19
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2013

I use wire for videocalls. One downside though... You don't known when the other person is online. Otherwise it does the job.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

May I ask you the process of installing Wire?

I can't seem to figure out how this whole Github/git thing works :/

dsj19
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2013

You can head over to https://wire.com/en/download/ and download their binary build or use the browser version: https://app.wire.com/

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

This I am aware of :)

My problem occurs when I am directed to the github, because I have a hard time figuring out how installing packages through github works. However, I think I was onto the right path some minutes ago, but it seems as though it was necessary to download something called node.js to get it going. Do you happen to know if node.js is free/libre? :)

I would like to avoid using the browser version. I think rms talks about this kind of thing somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

GitHub hosts the source code. It is not to download the program from. Not a way to install it. The program can be compiled from source. Simpler, the project site distributes DEB packages:

With GDebi (in Trisquel's repository: install "gdebi" from the package manager), you can then double-click on the .deb file to install it.

I will try Wire. Thank you dsj19.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

Ah, thanks! That slipped my mind.

However, since I am in the process I think I might try to install it the other way, just to learn something new :)

When you say "compiled from source", is that related to the github site where you can "clone" etc etc?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

Cloning the repository is copying its content onto your disk. See https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Getting-a-Git-Repository for git's basic... that however require some previous knowledge in the use of a terminal!

In my previous post "It is not to download the program from" should be "It is a place to download the program from".

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

I see. My problem when it comes to this is what I do after the:

git clone https://github.com/wireapp/wire-desktop.git

.. according to the description seen a little down here: https://github.com/wireapp/wire-desktop#install , one need to install node.js (which I have) and npm (which I have) and then run:

git clone https://github.com/wireapp/wire-desktop.git

and then:

cd wire-desktop

and then:

npm install

... but for me, that outputs some wierd errors which I have elaborated more in another post ( https://trisquel.info/en/forum/nodejs-free )

Heather

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 03/06/2013

Does Riot still work? I never used the videoconferencing feature, but it's what I'm using to communicate with my person in written English.

The web app is/was easy to install on T7 if you're having the same problems with your browser that I am on what I have to use instead of Trisquel or Uruk temporarily.

HTH and still trying to come up with other and/or better ideas if it doesn't.

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

I recommend XMPP, and any client software that is able to use Jingle,
and has it enabled. If I remember correctly, Trisquel's Pidgin has it
enabled.

At GNU Guix, we need some help to get both Pidgin and Gajim to have
Jingle enabled.

Jingle works well with one-to-one voice/video.

2018-01-13T20:11:42+0100 name at domain wrote:
> I used to use http://meet.jit.si or http://vroom.im to do
> videotelephony through WebRTC between two Trisquel 7 systems separated
> by an ocean (I live in Brazil, my family in France). They do not work
> anymore. Maybe because of enhanced privacy settings in Abrowser that
> I could reverse? What alternative reliable (and hopefully simple)
> solution would you recommend me? I can install anything on both
> Trisquel 7 systems.
>

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

When I click "Add account" in Pidgin and choose the XMPP protocol, there are tons of option, what does all those options mean?

Some options are quite obvious like username and password, other are very techie.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

Only the username (what comes before "@"), the domain (what comes after "@") and the password are required.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

I see, thanks. so a mail adress is required?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

An XMPP account is required. It looks like an email address because, like email servers, XMPP servers are federated: you can communicate with somebody in another domain.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

Ahha. There's actually an elaborated guidance here: https://xmpp.org/getting-started/

Is it so that anyone can create an XMPP server at their own home or wherever? I'm thinking of this: https://list.jabber.at/

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 07/24/2010

With the required knowledge (server administration), yes.

Heather

I am a member!

Offline
Joined: 03/06/2013

Just trying to get this thread back on topic here. Please pardon my
ignorance.

Mr.Banana is still giving out great advice, but I don't think the
original problem has been resolved yet.

Does anyone have any experience with a web-based IM client that he can
use for videoconferencing? It needs to work on the most recent Abrowser
update.

Easier is better.

Videoconferencing isn't my cup of tea, so i can only offer non-technical
solutions and that isn't the answer to the question that s/he asked.

TIA

ADFENO
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2012

Not actually, in some XMPP clients like Pidgin, there is a checkbox
"Create the account on this server", this will attempt to tell the
server to create that account you just inserted --- if the server
supports it being done through the client software.

Note that XMPP recommended standards also involve in-band registration
(the thing that allows you to register using the client software
directly, for more information see [1] and [2]). Unfortunatelly, some
service providers don't provide this function (if they don't do so just
because they have to get user's email, in-band registration can already
do this if I'm not mistaken, it just seems that the service provider
doesn't seem to understand how to do it).

[1] https://jmp.chat/suggested_servers.html.

[2] https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0077.html.

2018-01-17T00:04:41+0100 name at domain wrote:
> I see, thanks. so a mail adress is required?

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

GrevenGull
Offline
Joined: 12/18/2017

> "Not actually, in some XMPP clients like Pidgin, there is a checkbox
"Create the account on this server", this will attempt to tell the
server to create that account you just inserted --- if the server
supports it being done through the client software.
"

Aha, I see, cool :)

> "Note that XMPP recommended standards also involve in-band registration
(the thing that allows you to register using the client software
directly, for more information see [1] and [2]). Unfortunatelly, some
service providers don't provide this function (if they don't do so just
because they have to get user's email, in-band registration can already
do this if I'm not mistaken, it just seems that the service provider
doesn't seem to understand how to do it).
"

I see:) thanks for elaborating

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Offline
Joined: 10/31/2014

Was about to recommend this one -> https://jabber.at/

But they (temporarily) suspended new registrations :/
Another one I can recommend is -> https://neko.im/

You should always use OTR (possibly an updated version of it)