[GFSD Issue] Emacs nonfree versions

Component:License problems
Category:bug report

Emacs versions 23.2 and 23.3 are nonfree , as noted here by rms:


Wed, 11/09/2011 - 03:11
Component:Programs» License problems
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 21:20
Assigned to:anonymous» upstream
Status:active» patch (needs review)

We should be ok now on this issue:

We should wait until emacs 23.4 hits our repos to mark as fixed though IMO.

Tue, 10/23/2012 - 18:26
Status:patch (needs review)» patch (ready)

Package fixed in upstream Ubuntu "Quantal" release.

Mon, 09/10/2012 - 19:26

Please, please, please ensure a smooth removal of this non-free version of Emacs by providing a free(d) version (newer or older), when it leaves the repositories. It will be really frustrating if the program I am using to access a lot of my data (encrypted passwords, accounting, projects editing etc. etc.) is gone the next time I install some updates. I guess other Emacs users are also depending on it for a lot of their tasks, as you probably know it is not simply a text editor.


Tue, 10/30/2012 - 18:55
Title:Emacs nonfree versions» [GFSD Issue] Emacs nonfree versions
Fri, 12/21/2012 - 03:37

Also a possibility to use 24.2... i'll attach a helper script...
(just created this at gitorious in hope its easier to import)

Meanwhile, if you like, you could grab 24.2 downloads here: https://launchpad.net/~dns/+archive/gnu/+packages?field.name_filter=emacs&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=

Fri, 12/21/2012 - 04:00
Version:» 6.0

Just changed the version to 6.0...

Wed, 02/06/2013 - 19:25
Priority:critical» blocking
Fri, 04/10/2015 - 13:15
Assigned to:upstream» leny2010

I tried turning DNS' patch into a MR. However, the GPG key B187F352479B857B for his PPA which he uses isn't on keyserver.ubuntu.com. I note also the repo he's used is going the gitorious way and I'm getting 500 errors on a clone. I've been able to download a flat file copy of the lastest repo state to get things from, however, the repo needs moving to d.t.i .

My work thus far is in


Fri, 04/10/2015 - 17:29
Status:patch (ready)» patch (needs review)
Thu, 04/16/2015 - 22:19
Status:patch (needs review)» patch (ready)

Now a Merge Request


Fri, 04/24/2015 - 15:27

Merge request accepted.

Fri, 04/24/2015 - 17:10
Status:patch (ready)» fixed

Merged and built.

Fri, 05/08/2015 - 17:15
Status:fixed» closed

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.