Wifi Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 does not work on Trisquel 9

14 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
dcapeletti
Iscritto: 04/03/2014

Hi, my wifi board with trisquel 9 does not work in live mode nor installed on disk. I remember that in trisquel 6 and 7 it worked fine. In debian 9 it also works without problems, but I just installed trisquel 9 and it doesn't work. The same happens if I install debian 10, it doesn't work either. Here are the sources I have consulted:

https://trisquel.info/es/forum/wifi-qualcomm-atheros-ar9287-does-not-work-debian-10

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=147269&hilit=AR9287

The output of the commands are:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port Mobile SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
03:00.1 SD Host controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 SDXC/MMC Card Reader (rev 10)
03:00.2 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 MS Card Reader (rev 10)
03:00.3 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 xD-Picture Card Reader (rev 10)

I have already changed the grub configuration as shown in the image and updated with sudo update-grup but it does not work.

I have been dealing with this problem for the past year and I still can't find a solution. All modern distros, debian 10, xubuntu 20, Linux mint, trisquel 9 all have problems, except debian 9 and older versions of trisquel and ubuntu.

I hope you can help me. Regards

AllegatoDimensione
grub.png198.4 KB
synaptic.png141.38 KB
dcapeletti

I just added only acpi=off in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and it works. Attached is my new configuration, everything working...

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Greetings and thanks again to all...

config grub.png
dcapeletti

now my question is, in live mode, is there any way to put acpi=off and do update-grub. Would it work in live mode?

dcapeletti

When I set acpi=off my wifi works, but 3 cores of my cpu (intel i5) are disabled. I attach 2 images, the one with the 4 cpu's is without the acpi setting.

This in the end is not an ideal solution, I solve the network but I take resources away from my pc.

I am waiting for another better solution.

photo5075670571366328568.jpg cpu.png
gaseousness
Iscritto: 08/25/2020

well i haven't had a similar problem, but things i'd try perhaps is acpi_osi with a version of windows that would be more for your computer?

Be careful with grub wrong options might make it unbootable
changing lines to

GRUB_TIMEOUT="5"
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="menu"

would make it so you could try out stuff more easier, by hitting e at the grub menu and trying out kernel boot paramaters

"Examples

Windows 7 – acpi_osi='Windows 2009'

Windows 10 ver. 1709 – acpi_osi='Windows 2017'

You will notice that Windows 10 version 1709 has an OSI String of Windows 2017.2 and I used Windows 2017 instead. In my testing, I found that Windows 2017.2 was not recognized as a valid argument."

-https://endeavouros.com/docs/hardware-and-network/powersaving/acpi-kernel-parameters/

also perhaps digging around with some sysctl commands i might try.

good luck!

dcapeletti

On Debian 9 installed everything works fine, why doesn't it work on trisquel 9 or debian 10?

My debian 9 configuration is as follows.
Grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I can see that it varies the trisquel grub configuration as it adds splash I don't know if that could be part of the problem or not.

The system I am using with wifi without problems is:

Linux debian 4.9.0-15-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.258-1 (2021-03-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

And I don't use Windows, only gnu linux distributions.
Maybe changing the kernel to the same one I am using at the moment could solve the problem, how do I change it?
Any other ideas to solve my wifi board problem?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

You can download http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.9.0-15-amd64_4.9.258-1_amd64.deb and double click on it. GDebi should propose its installation. You would then have to reboot and choose that kernel in GRUB's menu.

That said, it is risky solution, to say the least: the main Debian security team stopped supporting that kernel on June 18th last year (Stretch's end of security support).

gaseousness
Iscritto: 08/25/2020

perhaps try out "acpi=ht"

" acpi=ht

Deactivates the ACPI system almost completely; only the components required for hyper threading will be used. "

-https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

dcapeletti

Hi, I have tried but it doesn't work. The truth is that I have no idea what could be happening.

Regards

Ra
Ra
Iscritto: 07/23/2014

Hello everybody,
i have a problem with an Atheros wifi adapter, maybe it has the same root.
I have been using this USB adapter for years without any problem, on Trisquel mini 7 and 8, but since several months ago the computer freezes within a second after i plug in the adapter and i can't do anything except pushing the power button.
On another computer with Debian 10 the problem was only that the adapter was not working. It now works perfectly with the 5.9 kernel. It doesn't work with kernel 5.10 though.
This is an Atheros ath9k chipset. The firmware for it is there, in Trisquel 8.
Any hints? Do i need a new kernel? Or simply upgrade to Trisquel 9 (If that is simple, at all...)?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

The support for Trisquel 8 will end next month: you should upgrade anyway! See https://trisquel.info/forum/how-upgrade-trisquel-8-trisquel-9

If you use PPAs, executing ppa-purge (in Trisquel's repository) before the upgrade may avoid some problems.

dcapeletti

Hi, sorry for the delay.
I was testing Debian 10 live. I have found that now when I connect an external ssd disk from a USB reader when I boot the PC, I can see the wireless networks and I can connect. But if I start Debian 10 live without the external ssd disk connected to the pc, I can't see the list of networks and I can't connect.

On the other hand, after installing Debian on the disk, I attach an image of what happens. I can't connect and I can't lift the network board either. When I write:
sudo ip set link up wlp2s0

It tells me something related to rfkill.

But well, now I want to understand why connecting an external USB disk in Debian 10 live recognizes the Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless board and without the disk does not.

Thanks

Screenshot_20210319_173020.png
dcapeletti

Hi, as I was researching, I think trisquel 9 has the same problem as Debian 10. I am not allowed to enable the wifi board by Fn+F3 switch. However in Debian 9 or trisquel 8 they work. See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=147269&p=735863#p735807

Regards

dcapeletti

Hi, I just downloaded debian 10.09 netinstall. https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-10.9.0-amd64-netinst.iso

When I perform the installation the wifi network board is recognized and connects without problems to the wifi network. But when I finish the installation and boot the system with kde interface, the wifi board does not connect.

I can't understand what is the source of the problem. Please report this problem to be solved.

Regards

dcapeletti

After testing for so long, I have Debian 11 running at full speed with the default free drivers.
But to solve the problem I had to do the following:
1) Install Debian using a netinstall image since in livecd mode it doesn't recognize it.
2) Once installed, the board does not boot, so you have to run the following command:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf <<< "blacklist acer_wmi"

3) Reboot and the wifi board will boot without problems.
Thanks