Trisquel 6.0.1 released

25 replies [Last post]
andrew

The announcement:
https://trisquel.info/en/trisquel-gnulinux-601-lts-upgrade-release

> This is an incremental upgrade release which includes all of the
> maintenance updates and bugfixes since the publication of Trisquel
> 6.0. Users that already have 6.0 installed don't need to reinstall.
> Just use the update manager or apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> The 6.0.1 release comes with several new features and updates:
>
> * Support for UEFI installation (amd64).
>
> * Abrowser upgraded to v28, with improved privacy settings.
>
> * Linux-libre updated to 3.2.0-60, 3.5 and 3.11 branches available
> in the repositories.
>
> * Added open-ath9k-htc firmware to the images.
>
> * Added all free firmware files to the netinstall images so they can
> be used over wifi.
>
> Trisquel can now be installed on UEFI based computers by disabling
> the security system in the BIOS setup. We do not sign our kernels or
> boot managers as that would require us to request permission from
> Microsoft, something that shouldn't be needed in any case.

If you can spare some bandwidth, please seed over BitTorrent! The
Trisquel tracker doesn't appear to be working, but you should be able to
find peers over DHT if you are using Transmission. Otherwise, you might
be able to find peers by adding extra trackers to the torrent (e.g.
http://openbittorrent.com).

Andrew.

andrew

Also congratulations and a big thanks to the devs for working on Trisquel!

lembas

Thanks for posting the announcement to the forums. I would've totally missed it on the front page as I never go there.

Great news team Trisquel!

mYself

Trisquel release? On 1st April? What a coincidence...or not? Hopefully this isn't something like Rubén's past April joke.

flyingsoccer

Strange downloaded the net installer and installing Trisquel 6.0.1 but it still reports 6.0 and not the newer version. Also problems with grub when rebooting the pc no grub appears or Triquel won't start. When turning mine pc off and on the grub menu appears and i can working but after an reboot nothing happens i am not happy witht this situation.

Distributor ID: Trisquel
Description: Trisquel 6.0
Release: 6.0
Codename: toutatis

centran

April Fools? I tried using 'dist-upgrade' and there is nothing available.

Legimet

6.0.1 is just an iso of 6.0 with more updated packages and uses the same repositories. It is not an actual major release.
If you do "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", you will effectively have 6.0.1. If you always update your system with update manager or dist-upgrade, there is no reason to download the new iso and you already have an updated system.

centran

What I'm wondering is nothing shows up when I do an 'apt-get update and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and tell me there's nothing to upgrade. So I do a 'lsb_release -a' and it tells me I have Trisquel 6.0 which by the way I have not gotten an update since almost two weeks ago.

Maybe it doesn't show up as 6.0.1 and I got the updated packages two weeks earlier (wat)?

Legimet

Trisquel 6.0.1 is just an iso of Trisquel 6.0 with more updated packages than the original iso. It will show up as 6.0 (maybe this is a bug, because Ubuntu shows up as 12.04.*) But you have nothing to update.

t3g
t3g

This is actually excellent timing as I got some money from a project and have thought about upgrading my PC and putting Trisquel 6 on it.

Since I have a wireless dongle that uses the open-ath9k-htc firmware, I may just go with the netinstall and install the 3.11 kernel from the start.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

My congratulations to Team Trisquel for getting this out of Testing, and a warning to those of us who use the Orca screen reader. If you use Orca and wish to use abrowser, you need to hold the browser back at 23 or earlier; Later browsers and the Orca, pacaged in Trisquel, don't play well together. The Orca included in GNOME 3.10 distros does work with Mozilla browser 28, but I've not yet successfully built this screen reader in Trisquel, due to unmeetble dependencies. What am I missing by staying back in Mozilla browser 23?

lembas

Sorry to hear that. Looks like part of the answer is you're missing a whole lot of security patches.

https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Perhaps a backport of the newer orca is possible? I have no idea unfortunately.

t3g
t3g

Security updates and support for VP9 video codec either by itself or with Opus in the WebM container:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/28.0/releasenotes/

Legimet

Here's a PPA with newer GNOME releases: https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3

EDIT: Nvm, it doesn't have the gnome you want for Precise.

t3g
t3g

Does the live CD run the 3.11 (Saucy) kernel by default? It would probably be the best to test since it is the most recent and people can test their newer hardware instantly.

Legimet

Nope, it includes 3.2.0-60-generic: http://mirror.fsf.org/trisquel-images/trisquel-mini_6.0.1_amd64.manifest. I was hoping for it to contain the saucy lts enablement stack. It significantly improved the graphics performance of my intel card.

t3g
t3g

Here's my problem with running 3.2 out of the gate in 2014.

When I go on H-Node and browse their database of video cards I see that there are a handful of Nvidia cards that offer 3D acceleration with the free software drivers. The big kicker is that they usually reference the 3.10 kernel by jxself as the minimum meaning that live CD users are going to get a false interpretation of the OS since the kernel is so old out of the gate. Not only the kernel, but the Xorg stack too.

Of course one can just install the OS and immediately grab the 3.11 kernel and newer Xorg from the repos and have everything work as it should, but I don't see the point in releasing a new ISO if they are going to have the same kernel (with its limitations) as default.

alguien

Just use the update manager or apt-get dist-upgrade.

After doing this and checking my release number with

lsb_release -a

, I noticed that I am still apparently running "6.0". Also, a large number of packages (mostly perl libraries) were removed, but I did not see any other changes.

Aprendiz_de_linux

Hi alguien!

Can you test in terminal " grep 8.8.8.8 /etc/resolv.conf "? Because on this post "You might be using a google name server" by lembas tell some security issue. And it gaves me that 8.8.8.8... i will downlowad the updated version hoping that thing will not appear :P
Thanks

alguien

alguien@computadora:~$ grep 8.8.8.8 /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Yes, I apparently have Google DNS... Which is interesting, because network-manager's Connection Information tells me that my primary DNS is 192.168.1.1....

So what does it all mean? :P

Aprendiz_de_linux

I asked you because i saw at the post by lembas https://trisquel.info/en/forum/you-might-be-using-google-name-server he talked about that 8.8.8.8 thing. Now it is confirmed that annoying thing persists even on an updated version. I tried the solution by Michał Masłowski but it resulted "permission denied" something like to punya. I'm not sure what to do but perhaps people who knows more about that issue can help.

alguien

When I started my computer again the other day, I got a pop up notifying me that a software update was available. I updated then. Now lsb_release -a tells me I am running 6.0.1, so I'm good now :)

Legimet

So does mine. As I predicted, base-files was the upgraded package.

Legimet

I know Ubuntu changes the version in lsb-release for maintenance releases. To do this, all that's needed is modifying base-files a little.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Agreed with T3g; the time to put the new kernel and xorg stack into the release was at the time the 6.0.1 iso was made.

Dark Orange

its looking so awesome

must have very very high quality pics without loss in quality and no mercy on size